Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:45 PM   #131

Hi FZ20 Man and Feister Meister,

I'm also somewhat of a newbie to all of this adapter tube, step-up/down rings, and cylindrical/petal-shaped/collapsible rubber hoods stuff. I've read through the many threads, here, pertaining to these goodies, and found my head spinning after going back and forth between all of the differing viewpoints on which adapter tube's best, what size adapter tube(52, 55, or 62mm end threading), which collapsible hood, which size, and whether to just use the first section of the Phayee(the adapter tube I ended up getting), then add filter(s) and then the 62mm hood...or use both sections of the Phayee, placing the filter in between the two sections, then adding a 72mm hood at the very end....yikes!

One of the threads provided a link to Dr. C K Shene's website on all of these goodies, including conversion lenses, for the FZ10(same info applies to the FZ15 and FZ20). I found the info extremely helpful; it helped me sift through all of the stuff available, and it helped me to make my decisions on what to get. Just remember that, although Dr. Shene doesn't discuss the Phayee adapter(he only discusses original designs), most of the information on the Chen Tube(except for the bayonet mount adapter for the petal shaped lens hood) can be applied to the Phayee, since the Phayee is a high quality, precise knock-off of the Chen Tube. Many of us here might have bought the Chen, but it's virtually impossible to get, since it's not sold through eBay or any other online merchant. You almost have to take a trip to Taiwan to get it! But make no mistake, the Phayee is an excellent adapter tube, and most everyone here who's bought one is very, very pleased with it. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

BTW, I ultimately bought the Phayee adapter, use only the first section, attach my uv(protection) filter, and then attach my 62mm Hama rubber collapsible hood. I like the setup....

Good luck!
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 1:40 PM   #132

I'm interested in a minimalist solution like you (pwiles1968 ), and read about your experience (available at http://www.nextphoto.net/FZ20.htm)

Can you explain a little bit more about your final configuration?. Is it possible to use the standard lens hood with your filter adapter?

I just want to use an UV filter to protect the lens or a polarizer (no converters needed) and it will be interesting to use the standard hood, the petalhoodand the lens cap. If impossible, other solutions based with your adapter will be appreciated...

and... what about vignetting...

Thanks in advance !

:?
guixers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 2:24 PM   #133

<Fz 20> Quite the set up!, is there no push on filter that would go on in place of the standard lens cap?? I am thinking of modifing a filter to fit. Thanks for any input.
ouananiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:33 PM   #134

GnomonMaster wrote:
Quote:
Sherpa: I see that you say you bought the 62mm filter, but the hama hood youÂ*point to in your post is a 72mm. Does that mean you have both pieces of the phayee in place with a 62mm filter in between and the 72mm hood hanging off of the end? If that is the case, I might try dropping the second part of the adapter and use a 62mm rubber hood.
Hi GnomonMaster,

I know that we've "chatted" with each other in another thread about our respective camera setups, using the Phayee first section, a rubber collapsible hood, and a clear glass "protection" filter. I had my setup with the filter attached to the Phayee first section, and then my Hama hood. I liked your idea of having the hood attached to the Phayee(f.s.), and then having the filter attached(screwed into) to the front end of the hood. But my 62mm filter won't fit. I tried repeatedly, but it won't screw in. Then I realized that the front threading on the Hama is probably larger than its backside threading(that attaches to the camera), which is 62mm.

Is your rubber hood a Hama or a Hama clone, or is it a different brand and design altogether? What size is your clear protection filter? I even went to BHPhoto's Live Help to get their advice, since that's where I got my Hama. The sales agent who helped me told me that no rubber hoods are threaded for filters, and that none of them can be fitted with a lens cap, either. I then replied to him that I read that some rubber hoods don't have metal rings and aren't threaded at all, but that I also read that the more expensive hoods, like the Hama, do have metal rings and ARE threaded to accept filters. He then said that the Hama does have threading, but that it isn't "normal" threading, and WILL NOT accept filters or lens caps of any kind...PERIOD. :P

Can you, or anyone here, help to shed some light and encouragement? Thanks, ahead of time, for any help!

Geoff
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:17 PM   #135

Hi,

Please disregard my last posting. I was able to get a hold of a technical assistant at B&H. Regarding my setup, here's what he had to say:

"The proper placement would be to attach your filter(s) first and then the hood last. The reason is the hood is supposed to block stray light from striking glass surfaces and causing flare and its effectiveness is compromised if filters are attached after the hood."

And regarding the use of filters, he added this:

"Also, no matter how they're attached, each filter introduces two (2) air-to-glass surfaces and each surface is a breeding ground for image damaging flare. For this reason we suggest using as few filters together as possible."

Thanks, B&H!

Geoff

Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:48 PM   #136

Rezajune, you seem to be very knowledable.. i have minimal funds available to me at the moment and was wondering if you thought this (http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ay-plpp20.html) kit was worth getting until i can afford to get this setup (look below )

Lens Adapter Tube + Cap for Panasonic FZ10 / FZ20, 62mm-72mm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

62mm Hoya Pro1 Super HMC Multi-coated UV-Haze filter
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

B&W Kaesemann Linear Polarizer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...921&is=REG

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ72.html?s...&item_no=1

any info or suggestions is helpful, im a noob.. and ive read through this thread a few times and alot of it i dont understand. so please help
pixie0fd00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:20 AM   #137

hey pixie...I am not an expert like Rezajune but I recently bought the Raynox PLP-P20 on Ebay and love it. Unlike the website you mentioned the ebay site was offering a linear polarizer rather than a circular polarizer. I have heard that linear is cheaper but also better for quality than circular. I took my first picture with the polarizer today and am going to post them for your review...remember that I was not going for aesthetic value...just to test the polarizer. Both these shots were taken handheld and seconds apart about half an hour before sunset in Los Angeles today. The polarized shot appears a little darker because thats what a PL does, it reduces the amount of light to the lens...all you have to do to fix this is slow the shutter a bit (but i did not do it in this instance to show you the real effect...no tweakings of any kind)

first the Non-Polarized shot
Attached Images

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 1:21 AM   #138

now the Polarized shot
Attached Images

indiawala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:26 PM   #139

ouananiche wrote:
Quote:
<Fz 20> Quite the set up!, is there no push on filter that would go on in place of the standard lens cap?? I am thinking of modifying a filter to fit. Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:31 PM   #140

ouananiche wrote:
Quote:
<Fz 20> Quite the set up!, is there no push on filter that would go on in place of the standard lens cap?? I am thinking of modifing a filter to fit. Thanks for any input.