Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:31 PM   #11

What is wrong with using a 72mm filter on the FZ20 if I am not planning on needing an adapter, nor using the hood, etc.

Such as the following:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...o&n=502394

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...55768&rd=1
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:42 PM   #12

The distance between your FZ10/20 lens the the 72mm thread is too far so you will get flaring....its never recommended for any camera to attach any filter that far away. The closer the filters...teleconvertes...macro lenses..etc...to the lens of the camera the better. Also you are wasting your money on filters that is 72mm big..because its much more expensive than a 62mm. The Phayee adapter is only 25$ so its worth every penny.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:03 PM   #13

This is by far the most comprehensive and informative post to all the questions I ever had about accessorizing the FZ10. I want to thank you so much for the information and the links to getting the things you recommended.

Your experience as well as insightful posts and not to mention beautiful pictures are a testament to how great this camera really is.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:53 AM   #14

It amazes me what one can do with the FZ series of cameras. I was looking at some magazine and they were featuring Nikon, Canon, and some other high end cameras in the front and in the back at the bottom corner you could see the FZ line of cameras. If I didn't know about this forum, I would have totally skipped the FZ's and moved on to something more high end.

Its members here that pushes the envelope of the FZ cameras to its fullest potential. Go ahead and spend 3000$ on a DSLR with your fancy lenses, I hope they can tell the difference between their pics and ours.

I can't.

Wish everybody the best and happy shooting.

Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:09 AM   #15

I was just wondering can you put a lens cap on the set up you described, Rezajune? If not how do you protect your lens (or lens protector) from getting dust on it?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:26 AM   #16

doFZ10, 15, 20 have the same structure of the body, i mean, if there are lenses for FZ10, would they fit FZ15/20, or an adapter ring for example?
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:33 AM   #17

I believe its the same tube adapter because FZ10/15/20 are all 62mm lenses but to make sure, ask the manufacturer.
His name is Ron Jin and his email is [email protected]

Great great guy to deal with. Everytime I email him, he immediately replies back. I trust what ever he says, based on the high quality product he sold me. I know I sound like a sales person for his company, but I am so happy that I can upgrade my FZ10 using his adapter to a new level.

Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:34 AM   #18

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
The distance between your FZ10/20 lens the the 72mm thread is too far so you will get flaring....its never recommended for any camera to attach any filter that far away. The closer the filters...teleconvertes...macro lenses..etc...to the lens of the camera the better. Also you are wasting your money on filters that is 72mm big..because its much more expensive than a 62mm. The Phayee adapter is only 25$ so its worth every penny.

I bought a Pemaraal adapter and works great.. what puzzles me is why didnt Panasonic think of this when they constructed the hood etc... surely they had some hint that owners would like to protect the lens etc... Awee anyway someone else capatilized on the designsto our joy..... Just a thought...
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:38 AM   #19

I was wondering about polarizers. When do you use them, exactly? Also, can you just keep the polarizer on the lens at all times? Or can you just screw it on to your uv filter?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:42 AM   #20

To Nancy...

A polarizer is just like sunglasses(must be polarized) for your camera and nothing else. Look at the sky or the beach with and without your sunglasses and notice the difference. The sky will turn more blue and clouds seem to have more dimension, and with water or reflections in windows or glass...they disappear, making you look through water or glass(windows)
A polarizer is almost as dark as a ND filter so if you don't need it, don't use it. You could leave it on all the time, but you will need longer shutter speeds or smaller apertures. Remember, all polarizers will have the ability to turn like a dial, depending on the angle you are shooting, you need to turn it clockwise or counter-clockwise to adjust it.

Now to the subject of my setup and lens caps:

When you buy an adapter tube from Ron Jin, he also gives you an option to upgrade for ONLY 2.5$ better lens caps.

"You can also choose to get custom-made new style lens cap (pressed open from the inner circle) with cord. $2.5"

I did purchase two lens caps. One for what ever filter I may have on at the time if I don't use the hood (or when resting in my bag) which is 62mm and the other a 72mm for when I keep the hood on for a long period of time.
And notice in the picture...IT HAS A STRING ATTACHED TO IT. How many people complained about the FZ10(dont' know about FZ20) that the included lens cap didn't have a string attached to it so people would lose them all the time.

Attached Images