Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:44 AM   #21

Here is as picture of my 72mm hood with a 72mm Phayee (Ron Jin) lens cap WITH A STRING ATTACHED TO IT. YEEEHHAAAAAA.

So essentially I have to lens caps. One 62mm for the lens or filters itself and another for the 72mm hood. I hope this make sense for you all. Also I can't use both lens caps...only one or the other.
Attached Images

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:07 AM   #22

Rezajune, thanks for all the information!

So if I don't plan on using the hood, can I go with just a 62mm Hoya Pro1 Super HMC Multi-coated UV-Haze filter and no adapter?

Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:44 AM   #23

for more information, you can also check out this website http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-10/index.html
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:02 PM   #24

lol slitman

you need a 62mm adaptor.. for that size UV.

good info Reza..

what happened to the IR wallpaper ha ha
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:20 PM   #25

You must have an adapter if you want to use any 62mm filter.

It doesn't matter who you buy the adapter from.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/node86.html

Right now on your FZ10/15/20 the adapter that comes with it is not intended to "screw" on any filters. Why? Because there is almost an inch of a gap between the Panasonic adapter "threads" where one would attach a filter and the lens. In order to use any filter or add-on converter such as a macro or teleconverter, you must mount them as close as possible to the lens of the camera itself. That is why some "thin" filters like the Hoya Pro one I have are much more expensive. Its thinner so all the other filters and converters i stack on will mount closer to the lens.

And also, the panasonic adapter is 72mm. Most Macro add-on lens such as the Olympic B-Macro is 55mm, or the B-300/Tcon17 are also 55mmm. It would be absurd to use a step-down ring from 72mm down to 55mm and be one inch away.

And also, almost all these adapters are made out of metal. It makes the camera much stronger when holding on to a heavy lens.

One more recommendation, do get a hood. They are very very inexpensive. The Adorama is only 20$. Its almost a waste of time to take pictures outdoors without a hood if you have such an incredible Leica lens. Do some research on hoods you will find out how important they are.

Also, if you use the hood, even at night time, because of the rubber sticking out, it will protect whatever filter or converter you have on against you putting your fingers on it or something smashing against it.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:12 PM   #26

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate your time to take and post all the pictures. It really pulls everything together. I think I need a bigger bag :shock:
Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:47 PM   #27

If I am looking to use the bag from the Circuit City rebate (I want as small of a bag just for the camera is possible, not one of those carrying bags), would there be a problem of forgoing the filter and just be sure to use the camera carfefully which is always the case anyways?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:07 PM   #28

Thank you for all of the info. You say that Ron Jin offers the lens caps when you purchase the adapter. I just bought one from the link you gave at e-bay. When I get the adapter there will be info on ordering the lens caps?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:50 PM   #29

You need to email him and tell him exactly what you want.
If he doesn't ask you, just email him...and also ask him if you can pay a little extra to get it shipped faster to you. It took a long time..around 2 weeks for me to receive it. Its not his fault,..remember, its coming all the way from china.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:15 PM   #30

Thank you so much. Hey, is that the F train you are riding???
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote