Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:47 AM   #31

Rezajune, thanks again for all the GREAT information. You sure have helped clarify things.

So, I am going with a 62mm adapter and 62mm filter.

I am going on a trip and the next week and sure would like to have an adapter by then. The one you mention from China sure sounds great, but are there any others within the US that you can recommend?

How about the following: http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

BTW...found this other one on eBay, but it is also in Hong Kong:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:34 PM   #32

This my personal opinion and should not contradict all the other members who purchased an adapters not made my Ron Jin (the one I have)

If you have a FZ10/15/20 I would only recommend the type of adapter that has two parts. First part mounting directly into the 62mm thread of the camera(for filters), and the second 72mm part(for hood) mounting onto the first 62mm part as you saw on my pictures.

the reason why?

The first part or section that is 62mm is only for filters and if you add a hood then you either get a screw on 62mm hood or a hood you just push over the filters and hold it with a mounting screw on the side. This sucks and can be annoying. I don't want anything heavy screwed on my expensive filters..I will get screwed...hahahhahahah anyways.

And if you don't feel like using a hood, just don't screw the second 72mm part(tube). Thats it.

The ebay site that sells the tube you mentioned looks identicle to the Phayee Adapter I purchased, but I never dealt with them so I don't know for sure.

I only would suggest the Ron Jin Phayee adapter, and if other members are happy with their preemaral or yoshida or raynox adapters, more power to them.
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:00 PM   #33

So do you normally keep the62mm Hoya Pro1 Super HMC Multi-coated UV-Haze filter on or your Linear Polarizer?

Did you get your hood from Rezajune wrote: [/b]
Quote:
I can only talk through experience.

This is what I would recommend.

Buy the Phayee FZ10/FZ20 Tube adapter from Ron Jin (China)

Its an incredible product. Very Very high quality adapter.
It has a 62mm front thread, with an 72mm front threadextension adapter which you can add on a hood such as a hama.

I believe you pay what you get and since you only will buy only one pair of everything..might as well pay good money.

I suggest the 62mm Hoya Pro1 Super HMC Multi-coated UV-Haze filter. It will cost around 40 dollars on ebay.
This is also act as your lens protector. It is super slim only 1mm thin...and the ring is only 3mm thin. The thinner the better. Multi coating makes a big difference.

Then I would get a high quality "linear" NOT "circular" polarizer. Hoya, Heliopan, Tiffen, B&W make high quality ones. I got a high end polarizer, because that is one of the most..if not ..the most important lens you will carry around, and kept on the most time.

got the B&W Kaesemann Linear Polarizer for around 100$.
Like I said, you probably won't see the difference between the one I got and a 50$ filter. I just wanted this one, because its air tight and I may be going to extreme climates.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...921&is=REG

Do get a hood. Very important. If you get the Phayee adapter tube from ron jin (jinfinance) then get this hood.

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ72.html?s...&item_no=1

Why? Because you can adjust the length of the hood based on what kind of photography you do..(macro versus tele)

I have bought from all these dealers and recommend them highly. Especially Ron Jin for the adapter tube. this is his email if you have any questions.

[email protected]

I will post a picture of my setup soon.

wish you the best.

By the way, never ever get a 72mm filter on these cameras for the distance between the lens and the filter is too far, most converters such as the Tcon 17..B-Macro... B-300 are 55mm and you really can't step down from 72mm to 55mm. Not recommended. You want everything to be as close to the FZ10/20 as close as possible.

I hope I helped you out a little bit.

Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:07 PM   #34

The Hoya is considered a lens protector so that never gets pulled off. The polarizers stays on only when needed meaning that I stack or screw the polarizer on top of the Hoya Pro 1 haze filter.

The reason why I got the Hoya is because its super thin and has a very good multi coated surface. B&W multi coated pro uv series also make very good lens protectors.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:50 AM   #35

If someone only wants to get the 62mm lens cap (the one where you can squeeze it in the middle and not on the ends) and having a string attachment, you can go to pemaraal:

http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

If you need the 72mm lens cap you will have to contact Ron Jin.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 8:59 PM   #36

Nancy, I definitely like the idea of a lens cap with a tether on it.

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
If someone only wants to get the 62mm lens cap (the one where you can squeeze it in the middle and not on the ends) and having a string attachment, you can go to pemaraal:

http://www.b-300.com/fz10ac.html

If you need the 72mm lens cap you will have to contact Ron Jin.
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:05 PM   #37

Rezajune, are you familiar at all with the Kenko 62mm filters that are offered with Ron Jin?

Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:44 PM   #38

What kind of eye cup are you using on the FZ10? And, where did you find it?

Also, how did you attach it?

Thanks in advance.
Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:40 AM   #39

Thanks to everyone that has posted all this great info on filters/adapters. Reza, thanks also for the in-depth polarizer coverage -- my filter/adapter accessories all arrived yesterday (yes!)and now my FZ20 + hood + 62mm filters are very similar to your setup.

Some additions:

The Phayee adapter also works well with the FZ20 (in addition to the FZ10). It gives good clearance for the FZ20 manual focus ring, allowing it to turn smootly, unimpeded. (There were posts refering to the Yoshida adapter being modified slightly to work better with the FZ20 manual focus ring.) It took 17 days after order for the Phayee adapter to get here (CA) with standard shipping from China, so you might want to choose a faster option.

Both the 72 and 62mm tethered lens caps from Rong Jin work with the Adorama/Hama 72mm hood. The 72mm lens cap fits into the front of the hood, as Reza's last pic shows. The 62mm lens cap fits inside a 62mm filter that is mounted between the two sections of the Phayee adapter. Since the filter is recessed inside the hood, it's slightly harder to get the 62mm lens cap on than the 72mm, but it stays on very solidly.

One issue though -- since filters are recessed within the hood but not attached to it, rotating a polarizing filter is difficult! So far I've just been reaching my fingers slowly and carefullyinside the hood, feeling for the metalfilter perimeter mount, trying to avoid touching the filter glass.Any suggestions, Reza? Do you set the polarizer to a specific angle an then leave it alone?

Thanks, Stuart

stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:54 AM   #40

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
Then I would get a high quality "linear" NOT "circular" polarizer. Hoya, Heliopan, Tiffen, B&W make high quality ones. I got a high end polarizer, because that is one of the most..if not ..the most important lens you will carry around, and kept on the most time.

Can I know why to get "linear" and not "circular" polarizer ?
marlboro9889 is offline   Reply With Quote