Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:50 AM   #41

Whats up guys and how are you guys. Sorry I haven't responoded earlier, been out of town.

anyways.

The Kenko Question....
I don't know anything about the Kenko filters. I just stick to B&W, Heliopan, and the high end Pro 1 filters by Hoya. If I am going to spend money on a lens...why not buy something more high end.

The eyecup I got from Ebay by the seller biggamut
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

I don't know if he still sells them. I read it on another forum that that eyecup fits snug on our FZ1/10 (don't know about fz15/20 but should)

Its made out of rubber and I just expanded the opening a little and pushed it onto the fz10.

Question about hood and adjusting the polarizer.
After shooting so many times with the polarizer you kind of get the feel as to where the filter should be adjusted to get the most polarizing out of it. I use the writing on the filter to set the polarizer. I never touch the polarizing filter or any other filter with the attached hood on. I always screw the hood or should I say the whole section (includes hood and adapter) off and then unscrew the filters or adjust them. Don't want my dirty fingers on them.

Linear or Circular Polarizer!!!!!! Which one?????

As a general rule if you have an auto focus camera the manufacturer will recommend that you use a Circular Polarizer. Most modern SLR cameras use a polarizing half mirror system, this is called a split beam metering system. A circular type Polarizer is required for the meter to function correctly, BUT OUR CAMERA DO NOT USE SPLIT BEAM METERING SYSTEM, thats why you dont' need circular.

Please check these websites out. It will explain in detail.

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfilter.../polarizer.htm

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...65&forum_id=67

Let me know if you have any other question. I always enjoy sharing and learing information on this forum.

Best wishes.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:27 AM   #42

Rezajune, thanks for posting the Ebay link to the Canon eyecup. I was lucky enough to find one locally in a photo store amidst a bunch of miscellaneous things. There were a couple of more, if I recall. They do fit pretty good without needing anything to hold them onto the eyepiece.

Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:29 PM   #43

I have ordered a phayee adapter for my FZ20 and will be buying a UV filter and Macro lens soon. So far I think I'll be going for the Nikon 6t for macro but I'm unsure of the UV filter to buy.
I see them from $6 (Sunpak) to $35 (Hoya Super) is their a big difference when using one on a digital camera? or is it really just for lens protection?

Thanks.
hehehemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:27 PM   #44

What is the point of spending nearly $50 on the Hoya 62mm Super S-HMC Pro 1 UV Filter when all you are trying to do is protect the lense which can't the same be done for a $10-$15 Hoya UV Filter?

Also, I am interested on comments on Hoya 62mm Super S-HMC Pro 1 UV Filter as to if it is really worth, but for those who have purchased, where is the cheapest place to order it?

Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:56 AM   #45

Jake D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:52 PM   #46

Rezajune, I have decided to take your suggestion and order the Phayee adapter from Ron Jin.Is it best to order it off of eBay ororder it directly by emailing him at[email protected]?

I decided to go the route of a Hoya HMC UV filter instead of the Pro 1 as I don't plan on adding any other lenses.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help!
Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:05 AM   #47

The reason most have purchasd this wonderful image capturing device is the "Lens". Why would anyone want to lessen the image quality by placing inferior glass at entry point for the image. I would highly reccomend the Hoya pro or heliopan as a strating point. Remember, you get what you pay for. Inferior optics will impact image quality without question. This is a GREAT lens keep that in mind when purchasing glass to cover it.

Enjoy,

Mark
mwbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:04 AM   #48

Hey Rezajune

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Why is the hood so important?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:21 AM   #49

If you're considering a UV filter to really block UV, then go with the Tiffen-1 UV Haze filter, which is what I use. If you're looking simply to protect the glass, any of those discussed on this thread will do. That is to say, almost all will be fine - many seem to come from the same factory.

This is a VERY useful article about UV filter, that talks about the subjects brought up in this thread in technical detail (but not overly technical...)

Highly recommended reading...

http://www.photo.net/equipment/filters/
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:25 AM   #50

slitman wrote:
Quote:
I decided to go the route of a Hoya HMC UV filter instead of the Pro 1 as I don't plan on adding any other lenses.
I intend to use a macro lens (probably the nikon 6t), which UV filter should I be buying to allow them to stack?

Thanks.
hehehemann is offline   Reply With Quote