Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:58 PM   #1

I shot some bug pictures today. The spider was at ISO 400 (by mistake), but still turned out pretty good.

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:59 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:59 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2004, 6:00 PM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:03 PM   #5

Hey bobc,

Nice pics!
The first one looks like a "Rabid Wolf Spider" (Lycosa gulosa) No kidding, and here is some really useless and trivial information.
It's harmless to people, but its bite is often feared- hence it's common name. According to a legend, the only way to save a victim bitten by the related European Tarantula is to dance the tarantella. (What ever the heck that is.?) Hmmm. I am now proposing a new photo contest. Please submit photos of your interpretations of the tarantella dance. The winner will get a steaming hot bowl of Marble Orb Chowder. :lol: Whatcha think?

The other photos remind me of the movie Starship Troopers. Given the background and scale of the little beasties.

Great work, nice clear shots.

Smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:45 PM   #6

smac wrote:
Quote:
[...]and here is some really useless and trivial information. It's harmless to people, but its bite is often feared- hence it's common name. According to a legend, the only way to save a victim bitten by the related European Tarantula is to dance the tarantella. (What ever the heck that is.?)
Although I'm not absolutely sure, I think the "tarantella" is this italian song you all have heard... they play it in the party at the beginning of the film "The Godfather" and Willie Cicci, this little bald guy, also tries to make the band play it in "The Godfather II".

Useless and trivial it is!
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:55 PM   #7

Nice pics; so what ISO and/or setting do you normally use on the FZ20?

Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:46 PM   #8

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
The bugs look very good bobc. I am an owner of the FZ1v2 (did the available upgrade for the FZ1)and FZ10 and find that the FZ20 does not warrant my money for the next generation camera at this time. I am still deciding from the examples posted. I am not one to listen to what people say. I decide based on what I see posted whether a newbie or seasoned veteran. The camera should take good pictures no matter what the level of expertise of the user. I know this camera has more functionaltiy beyond the point and shoot user but again the camera should take nice pictures through its full range of what it has to offer.If you could I would like to see some pictures taken in manual mode with your FZ20. The FZ20 does take good pictures but does not in my opinion do much beyond what the FZ10 does.

By the way, a spider is not a bug. It is an arachnid, due to its eight legs.

Here is a picture of a chipmunk with my FZ1v2
Well. I can honestly say that any picture that you see of mine on this site is straight out of the camera, and not enhanced in any way aside from cropping and/or resizing to meet the file size requirements of this site.

I have over 300 posts on this site, and a lot of pictures. I am new to all this stuff, and have only been doing it for a little over a month. The FZ20 is my first digital camera, and for that matter, the only camera I have ever owned. I am a Software Developer by proffession, and this is a new hobbie to me to break the menotony, and keep me at least half sain.

Here is a moon shot at 48x, manual mode, f8.0, 1/100 second, ISO 100, tripod used, resized only.

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:48 PM   #9

slitman wrote:
Quote:
Nice pics; so what ISO and/or setting do you normally use on the FZ20?

I was doing some testing at ISO 400, and forgot to set it back before I took the spider shot. I usually keep it at 80 or 100 or auto.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:50 AM   #10

The little bugger just wouldnt stop moving!
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote