Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:30 AM   #11
Administrator

Jayde wrote:
Quote:
helicon noise filter is free do a search.. google
For noise removal, my favorite free program so far is Noiseware (and I've tried Helicon). You can download Noiswewarefrom http://www.imagenomic.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:32 PM   #12

I have to agree with hbillsmith. I just tried Paintshop Pro 9 for the first time since I got it andthere aresomenice features. I like thenoise removal tool that can add a touch of sharpening.They also did a nice job with the selection tool options, magnetic, point to point, freehand, etc.

It seems to be very easy and the image I played with looks great.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:24 PM   #13

Rookie wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree with hbillsmith. I just tried Paintshop Pro 9 for the first time since I got it andthere aresomenice features. I like thenoise removal tool that can add a touch of sharpening.They also did a nice job with the selection tool options, magnetic, point to point, freehand, etc.

It seems to be very easy and the image I played with looks great.
I just purchased Paint Shop Pro 9. If you don't want the learning curve of Photo Shop, Paint Shop Pro is a great alternative. You get proffessional results and it's much easier to use.

Great Product.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:52 PM   #14

Glad you like it Bobc. I spent Saturday morning messing around with some sports photos and it did O.K. They seem to be following Photoshop in some respects. The earlier versions were not that great, but Version 9 is good. I think Photoshop still has the best versitility..... once you learnthe in's and out's.

I did notice on Paintshop Pro Version 9 that if you place text under the photo during printing, it does not go exactlywhere it shows on the screen. It was rather frustrating the first time or two until I learned how to compensate for it. It did cost me a couple 8.5 x 11 sheets of photo paper.

The whole secret is starting with a good photo. This makes the correction/cropping (using either program)much easier. This is the area that I need towork on. Keeping a fast shutter speed foraction while maintaing a good depth of fieldto keep all parts of the action in focus. I believe I am going to try Shutter Priority Mode next and see how that works. I am thinking 1/500 to 1/640 should freeze sports action. And nothing beats a bright sunny day!
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:41 PM   #15

I was just on the Amazon site and Adobe has a $20 rebate for Photo Elements 3.0 and Amazon has an additional $ 20 rebate for Photo Elements for a total $40 rebate. I don't know anything about this product or if it is worth even $49.00. If anyone has experience with Photo Elements I would like to know what you think.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:17 PM   #16

I've used elements - it's terrific, powerful. Really, it's more appropriate for consumer use than full-blown PS. Still, there's that Adobe interface to contend with. I think that Jasc and Ulead have caught up with Adobe. You can't go wrong with any of these editors.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 1:23 PM   #17

Thanks a bunch

I use a Mac with OSX most of the time so I think I will go the Photo Elements route. Thanks again for all the info.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:16 PM   #18
PdS

I use Serif Photo Plus 6. Its free and has almost all you may need.

PdS
PdS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:55 PM   #19

I doubt you will see any difference with a small print like a 6 x 4. There is no point in increasing the dpi to 720, the printer just throws it away.

At 8 x 10 and up,Qimage makes the most of your file, particularly if you don't have many megapixels. The difference is slight compared to say Adobe.
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:22 PM   #20

I'm still using Jasc's PaintShop Pro 8 and I'm very satisfied. I might go for the upgrade to v9, but there's no real hurry for me. I also have an older version of PhotoShop. I agree that there's a significant learning curve there, but there's also more support for it on the internet -- you can just download actions (a lot of them are free) to do the things you want to do in PhotoShop, but cannot figure out how to do them! I still think PaintShop is better for the majority of consumers. I am hoping Corel buying them out isn't the kiss of death for PaintShop like it was for WordPerfect.

I still frequently "go back" to Ulead IPhoto which I received free with a very old flatbed scanner. It does the basics (and a couple of complicated things) very well, and it's also VERY easy to use. I think most people end up in the same situation -- they buy PhotoShop or PaintShop, but keep their favorite old (and usually free) photo editor installed to fall back on for the simple things where the two popular programs are overkill.

-- Chris

EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote