Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:37 PM   #31

Rookie wrote:
Quote:
Nicktrop or azmat,

Do you have a technique for noise correction inĀ*Photoshop? I have been using a combination of Noise>Despeckle or >Median followed with the Unsharp Mask and a little Gaussian Blur. It works O.K. most times. I don't have a whole lot of problems with noise. Most photos I work with come from high end pro photographers. I let them do all the work. The FZ10 is what IĀ*have for my own personal use.Ā*
Your approach seems like the standard way to do it. You might want to experiment and reverse the gaussian blur, unsharpen mask order to see what kind of results you get, only because I've always heard/read unsharpining is the last step before printing but I have some great actions that don't follow this flow.

I use the Neat Image plug-in for noise reduction. Does a nice job, reasonable price (too) many controls. It also has camera profiles that are downloadable from the site. I just think for noise reduction the plug-ins are a better solution. Neat Image performs an analysis on the photo to optimize noise reduction while minimizing loss of detail, for example. You really don't have that capability with the PS-only approach. Neat Image has a trial, as do most of the others.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 9:08 PM   #32

(newguy.. first post...had 2.1mpx olympus for about 2 yrs; have fz20 ordered to arrive next wk. found this board while researching for the purchase; thanks for the info i gathered while lurking.)

i gots to ask.. how about gimp? gimp is available for free download from

http://www.gimp.org/

the gnu image processing program was developed to go along with linux, the public domain unix-like operating system. it has now been ported to windows. like all the gnu stuff it comes free, as-is, no guarantees.

most of my image manipulation (density and color correction, some re-touching of damaged old photos i have scanned) i do on a photoshop 'light' program which came free with a scanner i bought some time ago. i use linux on some computers for firewalls and non-gui number pushing. however i have played with gimp on the linux machines as well as a win98 and win2k machine. itis layed out a bit different from photoshop, but does all and more than the freebee defeatured photoshop i use.

shu246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:52 AM   #33

Thanks, Rookie!
stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:19 PM   #34

Thanks Nicktrop.

Glad I could help stuartw.
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:02 PM   #35

dpreview.com just posted a review of Photoshop Elements 3:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/adobeelements3/
stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 2:48 AM   #36

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
I've used elements - it's terrific, powerful. Really, it's more appropriate for consumer use than full-blown PS. Still, there's that Adobe interface to contend with. I think that Jasc and Ulead have caught up with Adobe. You can't go wrong with any of these editors.
I just purchased Photoshop Elements 3.0. It's really nice so far. I like the healing brush, and the one click red eye removal.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:28 AM   #37

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased Photoshop Elements 3.0. It's really nice so far. I like the healing brush, and the one click red eye removal.
Hey, Bob - I thought you were using Paint Shop Pro? What made you switch?
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:41 AM   #38

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Hey, Bob - I thought you were using Paint Shop Pro? What made you switch?
I did'nt switch... I have both. I don't know what it is, but I have this thing about Graphics software.

I have the full version of Photoshop 7, Corel Graphics Suite, Corel Painter 8, Paint Shop Pro, and now Photoshop Elements 3.

I now use elements as my primary, because of the photo organizer built right in. It also has the epson color matching capability. After reading your post about elements, I thought it would be nice to add to my collection.

I have a Wacom 6x8 graphics pad with a pressure sensative pen, and sometimes I like to mess around with graphics other than digital imaging.

You where right about elements... It's a great package...

Thanks...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:13 PM   #39

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I did'nt switch... I have both. I don't know what it is, but I have this thing about Graphics software.
Yes - graphics software is addictive, isn't it? PCs have come a long way. Where I teach the multimedia students are forced to use MAC powerbooks... hate the frigg'n things.

Quote:
I have the full version of Photoshop 7, Corel Graphics Suite, Corel Painter 8, Paint Shop Pro, and now Photoshop Elements 3.
Might I inquire how you're acquiring all this software? :roll:

Quote:
I now use elements as my primary, because of the photo organizer built right in. It also has the epson color matching capability. After reading your post about elements, I thought it would be nice to add to my collection.
Yes! Epson color matching is nice. It really is a great little program... Really it's photoshop without CYMK, plus some nicities for snapshooters. You don't really need CYMK at all for printing pics off an inkjet.

Quote:
I have a Wacom 6x8 graphics pad with a pressure sensative pen, and sometimes I like to mess around with graphics other than digital imaging.
Funny you mention this... I won a bid last week on eBay for a used Wacom 6X8 ($30!). How do you like it?
If you mess around with this stuff, check out this link. It's a fun site for this sort of thing: http://www.deviantart.com/

Quote:
You where right about elements... It's a great package...
It really is... especially for the price.

Nick

Old Nov 21, 2004, 12:24 PM   #40

I use

photoshop 7

paint shop pro 9

irfanview - for file handling and light editing

jpegcrop - lossless croping

and a bunch of photoshop actions

and mix them all up and this is what u get!!!

Willow

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote