Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:22 AM   #21

Mine showed up yesterday. Viking said it would show up the 4th and it did! I felt like a kid at christmas, what a heck of a camera for $170ish! Makes me want to buy a spare

In any event, I plan to upgrade to v2 software mainly for the higher resolution. Just in my few snaps around the house I am highly impressed with this thing.

I have seen a few people talk about a Yoshida adapter, and I have thought of buying one, but for $40-50, there are a lot of other things I could buy too.

He said he will stop production for the fz1 soon, should i bite the bullet or will the included plastic gizmo work fine for most things (i dont plan to use a teleconvertor or fisheye much if at all. Don't own one, no plans to buy, but maybe i'll inevitably develop a hankering???)

Ultimately, if you have a chance to buy one for this price, and need a camera, I recommend higly. When it shows up you will feel like you stole it, hehe.

take care,

Steve
jester69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:47 AM   #22

jester69 wrote:
Quote:
should i bite the bullet or will the included plastic gizmo work fine for most things (i dont plan to use a teleconvertor or fisheye much if at all. Don't own one, no plans to buy, but maybe i'll inevitably develop a hankering???)
Congratualtions and welcome to the fz1derful world of funzoom. The supplied plastic adapter will work ok for most add-on lens other than a heavy tcon such as the oly tcon17.
Recommendations:
1. Get a 55mm metal multicoated uv filter (Quantaray at Ritz stores ~$25) and keep it and the adapter on at all times for lens protection. The metal uv filter will also give you metal threads for better on/off thread wear.
2. If you are interested in macro shots, a close-up lens is needed for macro capability throughout the zoom range - preferably a dual element lens such as the+3 diopter 55mm oly b-macro. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1macros.htm
3. The oly c210 is a fairly good inexpensive ($40) 1.9x teleconverter that is light weight enough to be used with the stock adapter. Reqires 55-52mm step ring. See https://emporium.olympus.com/innards/specialoffers.asp (If you get that step ring, a good dual 52mm dual element +3 close-up lens is the nikon 4t for $30.)
4.Upgrade to version 2 firmware. See http://www.ishots.net/fz1-2faq/fz1upgrade.htm

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:37 PM   #23

How do change FZ1 to FZ2, where to find that firmware update.

aghauri
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:41 PM   #24

See the post right above yours by fmoore, bullet number 4.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:43 PM   #25

Thanks, i am kin d of blind at times.
aghauri is offline   Reply With Quote