Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1

Hi all.

I was on ebay to buy a battery for the FZ20.. Saw the AD stating the same or rather a clone version.. apparently the guy goofed up and sent me the 7.4V 800mAh battery (Ihave writtentto him about it..but its from HongKong direct so I reckon I lost my money ) ... see below pic.. am not going to use it due to the higher voltage... Guess "penny wise and pound/dollar foolish" would come into place...
Attached Images

fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 12:47 PM   #2

What I would suggest...just for a few more dollars (bucks) spend the money on the Digipower DPS 9000. I ordered one and they goofed up and send me the DPS 9000S which is only for sony....so they are going to send me another and let me keep this one for free...

Anyways..its only like 34$ and by the reviews...it will last you all day. With my FZ10 the original battery dies before I can even finish the card...and I am tired of switching batteries..even though I have three of them. Take a look...maybe this will work out better for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:05 PM   #3

Thanks Reza for the info.. I bought my camera etc.. from these guys.. I have to give them a full star rating in service and goods.. especially for those living in Canada..they took onlya day to send me my camera(i.e. when they received the stock.. amazing..)..

I just called them up and purchased this as it seems pretty amazing.... I do believe the FZ10 and FZ20 are the same powersource wise.. i.e. same battery etc..

Thks for the help..

Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:19 AM   #4

No problem using that 7.4V!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Most cameras come with alcalines (1.5V each) but people use those rechargeable that have 1.2V. Multiply those numbers by two or four and you have a big difference on voltage but without any problems.

1.5 x 2 = 3V 1.5 x 4 = 6V

1.2 x 2 = 2.4V 1.2 x 4 = 4.8V

Sorry for my english.....I´m brazilian.
rbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:20 PM   #5

Hey, fireworkz,

I would not worry about the extra .2 volts. Most electronic devices are not that sensitive to a small change in voltage. The first electronic calculator I bought took 4 AA batteries, which equates to 6 volts. It also came with a DC power supply which said that it converted 110-120 volt AC power into 6 volt DC. I put a meter on the output of that transformer, and I got over 8 volts. This was the trasnformer supplied by the device's manufacturer. That old, slow calculator is still going strong more than 30 years later.

The battery charger for my FZ3 says its output is 8.4 volts. On the older FZ series cameras (FZ1/2/10) the charger is a separate unit that has a power cord which you plug into the AC outlet. It also has a DC cord which you can plug into the camera, thereby using the charger as a DC power supply. This cord also puts out the same 8.4 volts, which is going into the DC in jack of the camera. I don't htink there should be any problem at all using a battery labeled as 7.4 volts. Besides, if the 800 mAh rating is correct, your battery is a little higher capacity than the factory version, so you should get a little more life out of it.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:22 PM   #6

I think if you stay within +/- 10% you should be ok. Most electronic devices use transistors to regulate the voltage internally and can handle a +/- 10% swing.

I would not go beyond that, and also read the specs in your manual as well.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:26 AM   #7

Thanks guys for the really useful info.. now I have the battery as pictured cause the ebayer wont change it.. so im relieved that it can be used and wont spoil my camera also i purchased the dps9000 so i have lots of juice for a trip.. what really caught my attention was the portable hard-drive reza quoted on another thread.. but when i checked ebay im getting $200+ quotes... awee will have to search harder for a good deal..

Old Nov 5, 2004, 4:00 AM   #8

Remember....the X's Drive II brand new is only 73 dollars on newegg.com

If its more money, then it has a hard drive included with the X's Drive II 2060. I would not recommend buying a packaged deal(X's Drive + harddrive)

Just buy the standalone unit for no more than 80$ and buy a seperate 2.5" laptop hard drive on your own and install it in a second. All you have to do is take 2 screws out, plug in the harddrive and you got more memory than you go ever handle.

So if you play it smart like I did...you will end up with 20-40 gigs of memory for less than 120$.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:56 PM   #9

rezajune, can you elaborate on the harddrive thing? is it used in the camera?
hehehemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 5:38 PM   #10

Whats up...just check my recent post "Running out of memory buggin you"

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...36&forum_id=23

it will explain everything.

If you still confused just let me know