Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:53 AM   #1

I've been one happy camper with my FZ20 for about a month now.

As any new great "toy" (this is definitely not a toy), this
is not perfect, or even nearly so. I don't believe there even *can* be a "perfect" anything :-)

What *I'd* like to see implemented as downloadable firmware
enhancement(s) would be something like the following:

(By firmware enhancements I mean those features that can be changed without mechanical modifications, and can be done by downloading a file to the SD card).

1 - Display the focusing distance (m/ft) along with the mode
*Especially* when focusing mode is manual!

2 - Display the "current" focal length (not just the zoom factor rounded up(down?) to the nearest integer).

3 - There must be more, but I cannot think of anything else right now (I *really* wish that an optical viewfinder for FZ20 could be implemented thru firmware. I'm afraid it is just a *bit* beyond today's technology, however...:-))

Other suggestions?

- sp
seppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:44 AM   #2

Maybe something to make it faster, lag time and all that stuff.

.RAW format would be excellent. Can it be changed with a firmware update?
rbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 1:41 PM   #3

Panasonic has a policy that they don't add new features with firmware,
they may release firmware update if they found an obvious bug in the cameras system.

There were many people that pleaded Panasonic to make an firmware update for FZ10 to correct some of it's "features".
Well Panasonic never released new firmware and leaved lot of people annoyed, including me.

The Panasonic's unwillingness to release new firmware originates from the FZ1 firmware update that spreaded to net.
Panasonic released the update only in Japan and it was possible to get the update in local stores for a small fee.
Well somebody copied the firmware and started to share it troug the net, and Panasonic was no longer getting any income from firmware.
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 2:51 PM   #4

I was actually thinking about starting a post regarding this same subject this morning. So here are a couple of items to add to your list...

- Option to turn off the "feature" which dims the EVF/LCD when composingin the various modes (M, A, and S) when shutter button 1/2 pressed. In many cases, the LCD is way too dark to compose. I believe this is one of the request for the FZ10 mentioned earlier.

- Option to Brighten the EVF/LCD during night shot landscape, otherwise it is a guessing game or composing has to based on the brightest light you see on the EVF/LCD. I think this is also another earlier request for the FZ10.

- I'm not sure but I think this is primarily software... Allow ISO setting down to 50 would be nice. I'm thinking this will allow further reduction of noise for daylight shooting.

- Create at least1 SCN option to save personal settings used often. This would be a BIG plus. I'm very sure this can be done via software. This is espcially handy for those of us withspousewho share the same camera but have different shotting preference.

- Provide option to save as 4M picture. If you noticed, the optiongoes fom 4.9M (2560x1920) to 3.1M (2048x1536). Being this is their flag ship camera, I'm not sure why 4M option is skipped. One can argue that it really isn't necessary...the more the merrier I say...

Thats it for now, but I'm sure I'll think of some more as time passes. I think if we have "enough" folks back up the request to Panasonic, I think they will provide something. Maybe it is just wishfull thinking...

Nhan
nhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Display the "current" focal length (not just the zoom factor rounded up(down?) to the nearest integer.
This is actually more interesting on the FZ20 because its "1x" is 36mm-equiv, not 35mm-equiv. The FZ10 saying "6x" means actually 6x magnification on a 35mm-equivalent (good!). Oh, I also like to see "360mm" instead of "10x" :lol:

My wish? To add to the firmware the possibility to add in your own C/C++ code to extend the camera features by yourself (for example, to add to it a mp3-recorder/player). Just add to the Panasonic firmware a "software hook" (for example, an "User utility menu") and a minimum documentation.

This is actually neither impossible nor useless; I can (and actually did) write C++ software for my cellphone (a P900). Yes, A digital camera is not a portable computer to fill in with your programs... but the P900 also wasn't. And I added to my cellphone a half dozen of my C++ programs (not even one related to phone calls)...

Also, with such a processing power, a 640x480 30fps movie mode wasn't added because they are saving it for the forthcoming FZ30 (6Mp, movie/640, .RAW, and still 12x Leica 36-432mm with 1/2.5" Matsushita sensor... oh, just guessing!!!) :blah:
alf_italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:02 PM   #6

alf_italy wrote:
Quote:
My wish? To add to the firmware the possibility to add in your own C/C++ code to extend the camera features by yourself (for example, to add to it a mp3-recorder/player). Just add to the Panasonic firmware a "software hook" (for example, an "User utility menu") and a minimum documentation.

This is actually neither impossible nor useless; I can (and actually did) write C++ software for my cellphone (a P900). Yes, A digital camera is not a portable computer to fill in with your programs... but the P900 also wasn't. And I added to my cellphone a half dozen of my C++ programs (not even one related to phone calls)...
How do you learn to program in C/C++? And... how or where can you learn everything about it? Just curious, since it seems somehow useful.

Thanks.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:33 PM   #7

Its never going to happen so nobody should get there hopes up. This whole issue was bought up months ago for the FZ10 and nothing came of it, just forget about it and enjoy the best ultrazoom series of cameras on the market!
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:38 AM   #8

Uh, I won't be disappointed by FZ20 firmware - except for possible serious bugs. I was just kidding (but in a few years this "kidding" may become -somewhere- reality) :lol:

If you know some basics of C and/or C++ programming on the PC, then you can work on every platform which has a compiler for those languages - for example: iPod, P900 (http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/pdzrho.html), etc.
alf_italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:48 AM   #9

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Its never going to happen so nobody should get there hopes up. This whole issue was bought up months ago for the FZ10 and nothing came of it, just forget about it and enjoy the best ultrazoom series of cameras on the market!
I believe you are right. There *is* this minor little thing about who is going to pay for the development of new features. I doubt if many people are going to buy a new "FZ20b" just for enhanced firmware...

Well, one can always wish :-)

-sp
seppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:34 AM   #10

firmware lol you more likely to get struck by lightning !

howeverpana didtake notice of our requests for better features, with the new FZ range..

so go with that ..

Ivote 10mp (DSLR if u like) with lots of extra / finer settings only found on DSLR`S and raw etc.. either 460 p/s or a couple of zooms at f1.8 Lieca, put canon to shame.. 20d territory.. butsomthin exstroadinary plz... with a darn leather case, i pay for that xtra..

ifpana/Lieca can make 432mm at f2.8 im suretheycan do lot better for more $

hey seppop can we have a smile plz lol..

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote