Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:28 PM   #1

Well. I thank you all for answering all my questions yesterday in regards to the FZ1 yesterday morning. I noticed that Panasonic also makes a FZ3 model with 3 megapixels instead of the 2. Is there a big difference? does anyone have any experiences. I can get the FZ1 for around $200 including taxes. THe FZ3 is about another $120 higher. The majority of my peictures are 4 x 6 with a few 5 x 7 and that occasional 8 x 10.The onlydigital camera I have is the Panasonic LC33, which is a 3 meg camera.The results hav been great, especially with the Leica lens.AmI going to begetting an upgradewith the FZ1?The last tiem I went shoping for adigi camera was about a yearand a half ago (When i bought the LC33). A lot has changed since. Cheaper technology of course. I even saw a nice little Canon A75 for $169. Amazing stuff outthere. NAy help would be highly appreciate it. Thanks
mrminsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:06 PM   #2

We have something in common. I also have an LC33, which was my first digital camera. It has been great, but I have found out that I have outgrown its capabilities. Besides that, my son has informed me that the next time he borrows it, he might not give it back! So I had a good excuse to upgrade!

I bought a new FZ3 and am very happy with it. I also looked at the differences between the FZ1 and FZ3. In a nutshell,the significant differences, in my opinion, are:

1. With the FZ3, you get 3megs instead of 2. Not that big a deal, because the FZ1 is capable of taking great pix that can be enlarged up to 8 x 10 inches.

2. The FZ3 has full manual capability. You can upgrade the firmware of the FZ1 to get version 2, which will give you shutter and aperture priority modes, but you still will not have full manual control. Again, this might not be that important to you, but I like having the option to go full manual if I want to.

3. The FZ3 has a focus assist lamp, which can be invaluable in low light situations.

4. The FZ3 has the Venus 2 engine as opposed to the Venus 1 on the FZ1. I'm not sure that there is a great deal of difference between the two. I can't really see much difference in most pictures taken with these two cameras.

For $120 difference, I would go with the FZ3. At the time I bought mine, the difference at my local stores was about $100, but I think I would have still gone the FZ3 route even if the difference was greater. If you don't need manual controls and the focus assist lamp, you will probably be OK with the FZ1. Look at your needs and make your decision. Either way, you'll be getting a great camera! Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:21 PM   #3

Both great cameras... I prefer these to the others in the Lumix line due to their compact size and price. Some other differences between the 1 and the 3 are:

1. FZ-1 can do IR photography. None of the others can.
2. FZ-3 has a much better internal flash.

Most folks seem to upgrade the firmware of the FZ-1 which makes it an FZ-2 to give it aperture and shutter mode. I don't miss full manual mode. I use a slave flash to compensate for the weak internal one. I would have done the same with the FZ-3. Auto focus can be annoying but I am waiting for a little lazer pointer to come in the mail ($7.00) as goofy as it sounds, I hear they work great and have a much longer range than a standard autofocus assist. So it's just a little photo knick-knack I'll keep in my gear bag when needed.

I like the FZ-1 because I'm getting into IR photography. I also prefer its slightly larger size. The FZ-3 is going for around $399 but the FZ-1 is $265 delivered on Amazon and it's being blown out at $180 at viking (check threads here for link...) Price, size, and IR puts me in the FZ-1 camp but it's truly a win/win.

If you're concerned about the megapixels don't be. It takes great pics - 35mm quality on 6X4's. I am amazed at the 8X10's I've printed from this 2 MP camera. 8X10 is it's limit, though.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:55 AM   #4

I picked the FZ1 and here is why:

1) it is half the price of the fz3 when i bought it.
2) my girlfriend and I both agree it has better color saturation than the fz3. (why i have no idea, maybe the lack of infrared coating??)
3) fz1 and fz3 have the same optics.
4) fz1 has (to me) a better (threaded) filter/hood attachment system.
5) They have the same size of CCD but different resolutions this means that:
With fz2 at 2mp you get less noise, but fewer pixels.
With the fz3 you get more noise, and more pixels.

Either way you may need post processing. Since many of the Fuji cameras recognized for having great pictures acutually use interpolation in the camera to raise the megapixels, it was my opinion that since most of my prints will be at 4x6 I will rarely need to worry about the resolution limitations, i'll just interpolate anything I crop a lot or print 8x10. However, to print a 4x6 taken in low light with high noise I may well need to fix that even at 4x6. Ergo, since 99% of my prints will be 4x6 the fz3, for me, would actually result in more frequent post processing.

With the same size CCD and everything else equal it would seem like it comes to a choice between noise and pixels. I picked less noise, given that I could create more pixels when such a thing was infrequently needed. Being half price sure didn't hurt either, when I could only find fz1's at 200-250 I couldn't make the choice.

Hope that isn't too long of an explanation, anyone disagree? Many say the noise with the fz3 isn't worth worrying about, so newbie me could be making a mountain out of a molehill.

take care,

Steve
jester69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:31 PM   #5

jester69 -

...couldn't have said it better myself! :lol: I do the exact same thing you do. When I want to enlarge - which is rare, I use Genuine Fractals. Photoshop is fine too.

Actually, the larger you print, the ->less<- detail you need due to "visual acuity". Larger prints are viewed - usually, at a greater distance. On an 8X10 hanging on a wall, color fidelity, form, and compostion elements are much more important.

YouR eye is simply not able to resolve as much detail at arm's length, three, or six feet away when viewing an 8X10 or larger print, as it can on a 6X4, 18 inches away from your eye. Billboard makers do not worry about "fine detail" in their picture.

Get the FZ-1 and upgrade it to a 2 for $180. imo.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:52 AM   #6

My opinion about differences between FZ1 and FZ3 :

I bought my FZ2 last august and I have some regrets because FZ3 have betters improvement :

I think you do a better choice with FZ3 and why :

-movie at 30f/s instead of 10f/s for FZ1

- grid 9 zone when taking picture

- 9 points, 3 points focus

- centre weighted metering

- much better position of focus button... the focus button on fz1 have a position that is not possible to reach and I have long finger !!! due to my 6 feet 4 inch tall.

- live histogramme

- better better flash.

- EVF is more bigger than FZ1. Not the resolution but the image size. I never use the EVF of my FZ1/2 because is too small. Impossible to take picture with that.

gaspard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:28 AM   #7

Go with FZ1

I have FZ1, FZ10 and a Canon Digital Rebel and I use the FZ1 90% of the time.

Great shots... I usually print 5 x 7 (2 to a page) and am totally satisfied.

And the BLACK looks much better than Soccer Mom silver.
BobAustin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:58 PM   #8

Hey Bobaustin,

I had the FZ1 and got stolen, I now have the fz10 and if feel that the weight of the camera makes my hands shake on low-light; as a result, the pics come out shaky. I do not remember having this issue on my fz1. Please refresh my memory. And also tell me why do you like the fz1 better.

Thanks
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:14 AM   #9

Though we're probably in the minority on this, I hate to give up the compactness of the FZ-1 or the FZ-3. Here is the infamous "Van Riper" reviews once again of the FZ-1 and FZ-10. He raves about the 1, likes the 10 but not as much as the FZ-1 ("... if it ain't broke don't fix it). Mainly, like me, he prefers the size of the FZ-1. I took one look at the 10 (and 20) in the camera store and knew I made the right decision. You can always add bulk to a camera, but can never take it away. I use an L-bracket and a big flash for some indoor shooting situations but it's nice to be able to just grab the cam, strap it around your neck and not even know it's there. I like the fact that I don't have that, "should I or shouldn't take the camera, do I feel like lugging it around all day" decision, I just take it and therefore get more use out of it. And, regardless of the number of megapixels, the damned thing just takes great pics.

FZ-1 A Pro Level Point and Shoot
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/030807.htm

FZ-10 ...if it ain't broke
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...per/040311.htm

That's not to say I'm knocking any of the Lumix's. They're all great, and if they didn't exist I would probably have held off getting a digital all together, and bought another manual film SLR like the Nikon D-70. But I prefer a more compact one, and for IR, the FZ-1 is the only game in town. Though in the minority - and out of synch with other reviewers, I think Van Riper is spot on and much of what he says regarding the 10 also apply to the 15 and 20.

Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:31 AM   #10

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go back to the fz1.

juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote