Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:56 PM   #1

I have been really gearing up to purchace the fz20, as it seems like a great camera. I like it because of the flexiblility and "similarity" it has to SLRs. We are not in the position to purchase an SLR. As I have done more research (which just seems to really cause more mental turmoil in the desicion makingprocess), I seem to get that some people don't think it makes a good point and shoot. Now I just want this clarified, possibly with examples. If our Dog does something funny, can my wife pick up this camera, turn it on and take a picture and get good results? She, nor I are photographers, and we are used to a 35 mm minolta with a zoom lens and macro mode, just the basics. I have really been wanting to get a camera with more ability, but one that can just be a plain old camera when it needs to. Can it capture memories for a photoalbum? Take a good shot at the campsite, or when we take our first baby home? And at the same time make me know that I can have fun composing a photo when I want?

What I ask is, if you have any examples of everyday pictures that are just totaly automatic from the FZ20, post them. If you dont have any, maybe you could take some. I am pretty sure that this will be useful to more than just me. I certainly have found this forum useful so far, and there certainly are some wonderful photos posted here already! Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Mark
4runnergusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:27 AM   #2

Here are 4 shots in Program mode with the flash. Point and shoot.

Attached Images

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:27 AM   #3

Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:27 AM   #4

Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:28 AM   #5

Attached Images

Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:33 AM   #6

I have been doing some more looking at past posts, and am starting to see more examples. I can clearly see that this camera works fine for all intents and purposes of a simple camera. Especially if you are not nit-picking over minute fine detail. I guess I would still ask, if you set the mode to P, it will be something that you can hand to a stranger and ask them to take a picture without having to give a 5 minute explination on its use? I am just getting more excited to get this camera. Oh, and does the red-eye reduction work well?

Thanks,

Mark
4runnergusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:37 AM   #7

As you can see the camera is a great point and shoot camera. It also has many modes that you can use like: prtrat, scenery, sports, as well as night modes.

These modes are point and shoot as well. Some may require the use of a tripod because of the shutter speed, but they automatically adjust the settings for you.

And if you want to get into the manual stuff, it has all that as well. And you can't beat the zoom on the Lumix cameras. To have that capability to zoom in to 12x optical or 48x optical + digital adds so much more fun to taking pictures.

One thing I will say is that focusing takes a little practice at the higher zoom ranges. But the same applies to any big zoom camera.

Hope this helps...

bobc
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:43 AM   #8

4runnergusto wrote:
Quote:
I have been doing some more looking at past posts, and am starting to see more examples. I can clearly see that this camera works fine for all intents and purposes of a simple camera. Especially if you are not nit-picking over minute fine detail. I guess I would still ask, if you set the mode to P, it will be something that you can hand to a stranger and ask them to take a picture without having to give a 5 minute explination on its use? I am just getting more excited to get this camera. Oh, and does the red-eye reduction work well?

Thanks,

Mark
Yes. You could hand this camera to someone and as long as they know to press the shutter button half way to focus and then take the shot, thats all they would have to know.

As far as the red eye goes, you will get some as with all cameras with built in flashes that are so close to the lense. But it does have 2 modes of red eye reduction, as well as a really far range for a built in flash. I think it's like 23 feet.

You can also purchase a standard hot shoe flash and get really great results, and if you get one with a pivoting head you can experiment with bounce photography.

bobc
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:59 AM   #9

I agree with bobc. The FZ20 is a super point and shoot camera. I have also included 4 examples.
These were the very first pictures I took when I got my camera almost 2 weeks ago.

The first is with no flash.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:00 AM   #10

2 with flash.

Last edited by smac; Jan 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
smac is offline   Reply With Quote