Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:23 PM   #1

I have the Epson Stylus Photo 890 and I can't seem to get a good print. First of all, whenever I adjust the picture in Photoshop (Elements) the printer has this auto function that undoes whatever I do to compensate. The only thing I found to do is to turn off all auto function but then the pictures colors are way off (as opposed to being fairly on the magenta side). I am pretty new to printing. I have been uploading to Shutterfly and getting very good results. But I would like to print my photos and the printer seems very good and it is supposed to be archival, so I like that idea, esp. if I am going to mount and hang my photos. You guys all seem so knowledgeable and I would hope one of you are using the Epson Photo printers. If not, what are you using to get prints, I am willing to buy a better printer.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:05 PM   #2

I cannot find an 890 anywhere. Can you post a link to it?

I use the R300.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 1:36 AM   #3

I just did a google search and I got this link:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&oid=14359

it has the user manual and other stuff. Is your printer an Epson?
Old Nov 6, 2004, 7:17 AM   #4

Though the 890 is a little old (came out around 2000, 2001 -ish) it still should produce a good print. These are tough to solve, as it's may be (more likely) an issue with how your software is set-up than the printer itself. Your Epson should produce woderful prints if configured correctly. Also, archival inks - while great for permenance, don't produce quite as vibrant colors as dye based, though dye based don't last as long. First I would try updating the printer drivers on the links you provided. Just guessing, but that's more likely to be where the issue is. Also, are you using Epson inks or generic off brands? You have to be careful with generics. Although I use them (I use Abacus 24X7 with good results...) from what I hear you should stay away from them if you have a printer that uses pigment-based inks. Another issue is the paper. You should absolutely use Epson printer paper.

As far as printers go, Bob's Epson R300 won the DMIA "best printer in it's class" award this year. Goes for around $150. I use the the R200, which is the same printer but with fewer bells and whistles. That's around $100. Canon also makes terrific photo printers. Steve (webmaster of this site) really likes the Canon I960.

In summary, it's most likely one or more of the following, in no particular order:

Printer:
1. Driver needs to be updated
2. Using a bad generic ink
3. Using off-brand photo paper.

Software:
1. Not configured properly? Check settings, restore defaults.
2. Might it be an XP thing? Or an OS issue?

Printer Recommendations:
Any of the R-series photo printers from Epson
Any of the Canon photo printers, especially the I-960.

Good luck! These can be tricky to solve, and it's hard to figure out without physically seeing it, and fooling around with it. I would be tempted to just get a new printer rather than wasting hours troubleshooting a software configuration problem. The consumer models don't generally last more than a few years and in that time, the technology advances, quality goes up, and prices drop. The Epson I have worked great right out of the box.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:08 AM   #5

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I just did a google search and I got this link:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&oid=14359

it has the user manual and other stuff. Is your printer an Epson?
I'm sorry. I just went on epsons site and did not see the 890 as a current model.

Nick has posted some helpfull information.

I use the Epson Stylu Photo R300.

As Nick said. You just have to mess around with the settings as well as the Photo Shop (or other image editing software) settings, and make sure your driver is up to date (as well as for your version of windows).

Also. Some image editing software like Photo Shop, allow you to set up color matching. They allow you to browse through a selection. I think the epsons install several selections and paper types as well. Give that a try.

You may want to consider one of the R series printers (if you decide on getting a new one). The R200 is less than $100.00 and has an indavidual ink cartridge for each color. This will save you money in having to replace the whole color cartridege, rather than individual ones which are only about $12.00 for the color, and $24.00 for the black.

Let me know if any of this helps.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:16 PM   #6

i use the epson c86... the epson c86 with the dura brite ink matches the color of my photo's perfectly....it's on sell right now for 79 bucks...i have a 1520 also but it does not match up to the cheaper c 86 for color matching..i like the 1520 for printing larger images up to 16 x20 i believe
jazzmaster221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7

Thank you all for your help. Just to let you know, I use the Epson inks (they're about $20 for each cartridge which is better than my Lexmark that I have at work coming in at about $40 for the color cartridge!). I will update the drivers. I am fairly new to this computer photo thing. I do know a bit about photography from my days in art school. But in response to what Bob said about adjusting in Photoshop, I have tried that and the problem is that I do my adjusting but the Epson software has this auto override that converts it back and I get the exact same print. It is very frustrating. And there is a way to turn off the auto function but it also turns off the way XP deals with the printer, and then my results are incredibly funky, colorwise, that is. I just thought there might be something that I am not doing, or a way to override some of these functions. I will try to update the drivers (I can do that much on my computer!) and get back to everyone, thank you so much for all of your help. Buying the FZ20 was the best thing I ever did, esp. being that it led me to this forum with all of you great guys--thank you:-).
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:43 PM   #8

Did you ever got this resolved?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:00 PM   #9

I downloaded the new drivers, still had the same problem. I noticed on print preview the picture looked magenta, just how it printed. I thought it was odd so I e-mailed epson. They told me to do what I already did even though I explained to them what I did. So I e-mailed them back and now they want me to uninstall the software (again) and do some tests on the printer itself. I haven't had the time. It looks like it will be a few hour project. It seems like it is either something with windows, or just the epson software. I might just get a new printer, rather than spending all of the time and then still not being able to correct the problem. Thanx for asking!