Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Has anyone order one of the SOFT POUCH-DIGITAL D-SERIES Cases for their FZ20? Trying to determine which would be the best fit, with just the camera (no hood, etc):

http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...;CATEGORY_ID=5
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:18 AM   #2

hi m8

i think i posted that i use a D-SLR size cover.. my FZ10 is slightly loose inside without my TL55 butthat is then max reach, (ie tight fit inside, front to back) the covers have press 2 studs onthe backflap.. i use it with a hands free chest strap i made for my bike..

also look at all in one zing covers they are thicker with prongs that go under the barrel with velcro on..

these are not bags jus tight covers..

i made a plastic type mould to go around the FZ10 so its double protected inside the op tech cover, the zing dont need one, yeh i have that too..

i prefer the op tech, wish it was thicker.. u can buy longer zoom nose ..op tech covers now.. altho they not with my uk supplier yet..
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 8:22 AM   #3

I would not keep it in a case without the adapter and filter on for 2 reasons.

1. Dust can get inside to the inner lenses even in a case.

2. If you forget to switch it to veiw mode and it turnes on inside the case (it could happen) the lense would have no room to extend and could damage the camera.

Just something to think about.

I use the Nova 2 AW. It will fit my camera with the pana adapter, 72mm uv filter, and hood attached. The only time I ever remove the adapter & filter is to clean the camera and lenses. Then they go right back on.

I read some posts of people who just got their cameras and within a week found dust in the inner lenses, and had to send them in for service. I am pretty sure it is caused by the lense extending and retracting that sucks the dust in.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:26 PM   #4

Anyone else tried these cases?

Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:44 PM   #5

Still looking for more feedback....thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 2:31 AM   #6

Doesn't look like there is any protection for the camera against knocks with the neoprene bag.

I bought a video camera bag from Currys UK for just over £20 and my z20 fits in snuggly against all the padding and it also holds all the other bits that came with the camera.

John
Johnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:33 AM   #7

slitman,

I don't know of anyone who has tried these cases, and probably for the reasons posted. They do not look to offer that much protection.

Sorry I could not be of more help to you.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 3:49 PM   #8

After much deliberation, I bought the LowePro TopLoad Zoom 2. I initially bought the TLZ 1, which fits nicely, but doesn't allow any expansion. So, I traded it for the TLZ 2, which allows me to fit the camera inside with the extension and pedal hood on, plus gives me an extra inch or so on the top end to allow for a bigger strap without having anything rubbing on the LCD. You can wear it on your belt or over your shoulder, plus there is a strap assembly available to wear it across your chest (doubt if I'd ever do that). Good padding and lots of extra space for a flash in the front pouch or other extras. It cost $34.95. The other nice thing about this bag is that it opens toward you when you are carrying it over your shoulder and you can grab your FZ20 out real quick for a shot without having to fumble turning the bag around.
Vandyu is offline   Reply With Quote