Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:25 AM   #1

hi from italy to everyone!!

i must buy a panasonic fz15 in the usa for a friend of mine who thinks that the fz15 should be (theorically) less noisy than the panasonic fz20 and therefore have better pics in the night and with shadow.

he's not sure because the fz15 is not sold in europe and therefore is hard to find anyone that uses it and can say if this "theory" is right or not.

according to the opinion of those of you that use the fz15, is it worth to buy it overseas (for us) because of this difference'

and above all: THIS DIFFERENCE IS REAL, PRACTICALLY??

thank you very very much for your help

bye

spazio :-):-):-):-)

spazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:54 AM   #2

I would think that few people would be able to answer that one since it's doubtful someone would own both to compare. Unless someone bought one or the other and returned one. Personally, I would take the 20 for its hotshoe. Also the F-15 curiously doesn't record audio with its video capture. Both are fine cameras. With any of the Lumixes you're getting it for its powerful zoom and IS system above all else. All take fine pics.

So, the question - "are the differences practical", is highly subjective. If you don't care about adding a big flash or having audio with your Quicktime then the FZ-15 would be a better buy. All non-digital SLRs have issues with noise at higher ISO settings. Most people avoid the noise issue all together by keeping the ISO low. There seems to be a high user satisfaction with the entire line. They also have the 2nd best (neck and neck) repair ratings (Sony's the 1st).
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:37 AM   #3

I agree with Nick, and would also like to add...

Noise does not effect image quality as much as you may think. Color, saturation, contrast, exposure, and sharpness have more effect on picture quality than noise. The 20 may be slightly noisier than the 15, but that is not really an issue. When you have to adjust all the other things on an image, you might as well get a cheap digicam and become a photo editor rather than a photographer.

I would say from what I have seen on both, and owning an FZ20 that the image quality is about the same (maybe slightly more noise on the 20), but the feature difference is what sold me on the 20, as well as the extra megapixel is not even all that important unless you cropor resize heavily.

I definately would not buy a camera just to prove a point.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Fox

spazio, Being a owner of a FZ15 I will agree with both Nick and Bobc I have seen pictures from just about all the FZ models and they look sooooooo good! I think people are making a bit more of a fuss about the noise issue than need be. It is there but not as bad as some people make it out to be. I think for a lot of people it comes down to what you are going to be using the camera for. Nick has posted on that topic and made some good points.
There are a few things you might want to think about before buying a camera from the U.S. Warranty is probably going to be a problem for you. In other words, if something goes wrong you will have to ship it back to the U.S. and have someone here send it in for work. Then they will have to ship it back to you. This is a bit of a gamble. You might never have a problem then again you may. I have imported my share of gear from Japan and this is something I have to think about before I bring it in.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:21 AM   #5

thank you very much!! :-)
spazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:57 PM   #6

There is the trade-off: price paid at acquisition against warranty. I'm also from Europe and got my FZ15 in the states. Besides not being available here, it's so much cheaper in US. Take also the parity EUR/USD into consideration and the price is irresistible. I could have got the FZ10 for 480 EUR here, or the FZ15 for 360 EUR(450 USD) there. The FZ20 is over 550 EUR (in Belgium at least).

A.
Adrian Dusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:53 PM   #7

I would suggest go check out some pics from FZ20 and FZ15 with FULL size pics, then you can make your own choice of which camera has better picture quality.

I have heard some people wanted to trade in their FZ20 to a old FZ10 from any forum members from Singapore(because in Asian once the product out the door you can not exchangeforsomething else, so he stuck with it).

Please be aware all of us are biased(even myself), so please check out all the full size pics of both camera okay. Oh by the way, FZ10 has better picture quality than FZ20 imho.

Igave away my old FZ10 coupel months ago, then Ijump the gun on FZ20 and I didn't like it with the noise level. I did return mine. I love the FZ15 picture quality but I ended up pick the FZ10 again, because it has a hot-shoe. I am sure many people would be happy with their FZ10, or FZ15, or even FZ20, just see if for your own eyes. There are many pictuer posted here or on dpreview.com. All you have to do is doa search subject on FZ10 pics, or FZ15 pics, and FZ20 pics. I don't think your eyes would lie to you lol.

Just not to let the all FZ line camera over exposure, then you would not see any or very little C.A.

Good Luck

CheapPhoto

CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 12:56 AM   #8

CheapPhoto wrote:
Quote:
I would suggest go check out some pics from FZ20 and FZ15 with FULL size pics, then you can make your own choice of which camera has better picture quality.

I have heard some people wanted to trade in their FZ20 to a old FZ10 from any forum members from Singapore(because in Asian once the product out the door you can not exchangeforsometime else, so he stuck with it).

Please be aware all of us are biased(even myself), so please check out all the full size pics of both camera okay. Oh by the way, FZ10 has better picture quality than FZ20 imho.

Igave away my old FZ10 coupel months ago, then Ijump the gun on FZ20 and I didn't like it with the noise level. I did return mine. I love the FZ15 picture quality but I ended up pick the FZ10 again, because it has a hot-shoe. I am sure many people would be happy with their FZ10, or FZ15, or even FZ20, just see if for your own eyes. There are many pictuer posted here or on dpreview.com. All you have to do is doa search subject on FZ10 pics, or FZ15 pics, and FZ20 pics. I don't think your eyes would lie to you lol.

Just not to let the all FZ line camera over exposure, then you would not see any or very little C.A.

Good Luck

CheapPhoto

I wish people would put this noise thing to bed... IT IS ALREADY KNOWN!!!

How many times do we have to say it. And people think that a little noise makes the image quality worse than the other FZ's.

I have looked at plenty of images from all the FZ's, and the FZ20 pics are among the best. And not just imho, but in the professional reviews.

The only FZ that has something better is the FZ1 with it's IR feature.

Regards,

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:26 AM   #9

Guess the decision is - do you want to spend a few extra bucks on the FZ20 or settle with the FZ15.. Look at the FZ 3 its also got some good prospects.. and like Bob mentioned the FZ1 has a real unique touch of its own.

I was going to buy a Minolta DImage Z3 looked cute/powerful has 12x + macro..
Then I switched to Panasonic.. had my heart set to get the FZ3 looks cute too has 3MP something I was comfortable with..also a bit cheaper.. but then I turned to the FZ20..Newer camera,more pixels and something I may keep for a while till I get into the photography concept and then head for DSLRs..Also I saw the FZ10 and FZ 15.. So I decided if Im gonna buy a Cam go for the latest model with the whole jing bang.. a few extra bucks I think well spent..

Offtopic:
I saw today on Screensavers of G4Tech Tv a Lumix 5Mp camera by Panasonic received the worst rating and the reviewer said to avoid it at all costs..It was onhis worst list of Cams.... Makes us wonder who to listen to..
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 1:34 AM   #10

You won't be finding any prefessional review saying that FZ20 is worse than FZ10 or FZ15, otherwise they would going out of business just kidding. They would lose some advertisement income for sure. Do you think they would actually saying FZ20 is a crap. NO WAY!!!!!!FZ20 is a good camera for the price you paying for. It has many impromvement over the FZ10.If you can live with the noise level, or you like to take out door shots, you should go for the FZ20. As for myself I like to take sunset pictures and night shots, then the noise facter is more important to me.

Go check out megapixel.net review they are saying all the good things about FZ20, except they clearly saying that FZ20 even at iso80 and iso100 has noise visible. All the reviews are reader's be ware.

I am happy to hear that FZ20 owner love their camera. If someone ask for suggestion on which camera to buy, I would ask them to see it with their own eyes.

Regards

CheapPhoto

CheapPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote