Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:17 PM   #11

Well Nick, Rezajune and FMoore, I hope you're all very happy!

The 3 of you have now cost me a small fortune on Ebay!, I was quite happy getting the Z1 for $179 but you just had to go and show me the delights of IR photography!.

I've now gone and bought a UV filter, a 72CIR filter, a 512Mb SD card, an X's Drive II, a 40Gb drive to go in it, a new camera bag, a spare battery, a battery charger, a DPS-9000 Li-On battery packand by the time I'm finished most probably a Partridge in a pear tree as well!!!:O

Oh yes, and I'll probably get charged for overweight baggage on the way home from the US on Christmas Eve as well!!!

Thanks Guys :blah::-)
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:27 PM   #12

Sounds like you're going to put that fz1 to work, Phaedra. One question: What is the 72CIR filter? Couldn't find it listed on ebay.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:13 PM   #13

Phaedra1106 said:
Quote:
The 3 of you have now cost me a small fortune on Ebay!
I hear ya, buddy. I just ordered the C-210, Two weeks ago it was the Hoya IR filter, before that a new flash and L-bracket. Then a set of Tiffen ND, UV, and polarizer filters. Oh, lest I forget, a photo inkjet. Then there's inks, and papers, and step-down ring(s). Oh yes, a 512 SD card - full retail (had to have it) within an hour of getting the camera in the mail. Of course, I needed a new gear bag. Now, I'm eyeballing a macro lens, a wide-angle lens, and another printer - an HP 7660, for B&W prints. At least the filters and lenses are around 1/2-1/3 less for a 55mm thread. Look on the bright side:

1. I paid $260 for my FZ back in June
2. It's slightly less expensive than owning a boat as a hobby.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:20 PM   #14

NickTrop wrote:

and another printer - an HP 7660, for B&W prints.

As we've discussed before, Nick, most color printers give a slight green tint to b&w. What's with the HP 7660?

Fred
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:25 PM   #15

HP makes black/greyscale ink carts for this and the 7690(?) a newer model printer. The prints are supposed to last 100 years, and look fantastic (no tint, obviously, since there are no color inks). I'm convinced that you just can't get a good B&W print out of a color inkjet, no matter what you do with the color profiles. There's a seller on eBay who seems to have a s- load of them. No inks, though (which is fine in my case). They seem to auction for around $40, $20 to ship.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:07 PM   #16

Hey Nick,

I was wondering how do you set your fz1 before you take a pic with it.

Do you white balance it with the filter on it?

Do you do B/W pics?

Do you do post processing? if so how?

how do you set up lens aperture and shutter speed?

Anymore tips let me know

Very very nice pics nick. YOU KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR FZ1!!!! I want to learn how to sacarle el jugo (get the most of this little but amazing cam).

Thanks

Juan
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 6:42 PM   #17

Yes, Juanmilla, the pictures I've posted here are - hands down, bar none, THE best photos posted not only in THIS forum but on ANY forum on the net. I've set the bar high - perhaps too high, not only for Lumix photographers (of course, if you're using anything other than the FZ-1 your at a handicap) but all photographers... This is why I seldom post photos: 1. I'm just too good, too cool for the room/forum sort of thing, and 2: I don't want to discourage any budding amatures who just got their FZs in from the mail. I am not only - hands down, bar none, ->the<- best photographer out there right now, I am also ->the<- best looking one to boot. I took these photos in a single location - a rather ordinary barn in PA, within a 45 minutes time span. I took only two other shots - of the pumpkins, seven pictures all together, that I didn't feel like resizing and posting. The rest of the posters here would - literally, spend a lifetime taking pictures and not even come close to the five I've posted here. Also, this was only my second outing, the first time I snapped a few test photos when I got the filter, using an IR filter.

Now, the fact that you've recognized this and are seeking advice from me means that you're way, way ahead of the rest of the posters and lurkers here. So, I will help you free of charge, this one time only. I do this less to help you but to avoid more macro shots of someone's earwax, boring telephotos of full moons, or "action" shots of fighter jets. Yawn. Believe me, I'm doing this more for me - and the art of photography, than for you.

This only applies to IR:

juanmilla wrote:
Quote:
Hey Nick,

I was wondering how do you set your fz1 before you take a pic with it.
You must manually set the white balance

Do you white balance it with the filter on it?
Yes, and yes. You must, must, must manually set the white balance with the IR filter on when shooting IR [/quote]

Quote:
Do you do B/W pics?
For IR no. Use the camera's color mode. I use the natural setting. For non-IR, I do NOT use the camera's monochrome mode (blech). I use a photoshop plug-in from The Image Factory that emulates various B&W film stocks Tri-X, Ilford, etc. There are lots of free actions and tutorials out there. DO NOT use the monochrome setting on any digital if you're going for B&W. DO NOT simply convert the photo to grayscale in a photoeditor. You MUST use either a good action, follow a tutorial (Luminous Lanscapes has one, there are several out there) or a PS plug-in. There's much more to it than simply taking the color out.

Quote:
Do you do post processing? if so how?
For IR, there's a thread here started by Rezajune (I think), you want to find BradsIR photoshop action. (I can't find the link for it, look for the thread here, it's not too old...) It's free. I use PS - first - crop, then (always) "Auto Correct Levels", then - whatever else you want to do, and 90% of the time, sharpening is the last part of the workflow before printing. I use Nic Sharpener Pro to sharpen - always. It's as valuable as photoshop, especially for digital images.

In the photo of my daughter on the bench, and the scarecrow, I used a touch of an effects Photoshop plug-in called "Flaming Pear". And, no, it's not "cheating" anymore than when you set your color mode to "vivid" on your camera. Sharpening is critical, and varies by output medium (internet, printer) and input specs. This figures it all out for you.

Quote:
how do you set up lens aperture and shutter speed?
For IR (and in general) I use the lowest iso setting possible, and the longest shutter speed. The pictures above had 1 second shutter speeds. Even my daughter - I simply told her to stay perfectly still. I use a tripod and a lenshood - always, for this type of shooting.

For non-IR (even IR) the "sweet spot" for aperture is F 5.6. Makes a difference.

Anymore tips let me know

Quote:
Very very nice pics nick. YOU KNOW HOW TO USE YOUR FZ1!!!! I want to learn how to sacarle el jugo (get the most of this little but amazing cam).

Thanks

Juan
Muchos gracius! But don't be discourged if your photos never look as good as mine do after a lifetime of trying. "Getting there" is 1/2 the fun, and it is you who are to be commended for recognizing the beauty of these photographs I've posted. That puts you way ahead of the rest of the folks on this form, who can't even recognize true masterpieces if they smacked them on the head. At least you're this far along. You have hope - you can recognize beautiy and art at least. Making it? That's another matter. The rest of the posters/lurkers here are among the lost.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:31 PM   #18

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
you've recognized this and are seeking advice
Are you? Have you? You're a genius! Click the Help button.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:53 PM   #19

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the advice, its cool one day I will be like you. You are my hero!!!

No for real thanks, and thanks for throwing some sense of humor in the comment. You are a trip!

Gracias amigo

Juan

PS. By the way where can I get that plug in for PS for B/W. Or what plug ins do you recomend me to get. Please tell me where did you see the tutorial on B/W pics onPS. And lastly what is the software youuse to sharpen images? and where can I find them?

Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:54 PM   #20

Hey fmoore

Is that you? that looks cool and freaky (no offense)at the same time.

Juan