Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:13 PM   #1

My fz1 got stolen long ago. I replaced it with the fz10. I feel that the weight on my fz10 makes this camera really shaky and in low lighting conditions the result is awful. Fz10's weight and sizeare the disavantages over the fz1.

Is this normal or is just my shaky hand. I don't recall having this problem with the fz1. Can someone tell me if this problem is common in the fz1 or fz10.

I am actually debating to sell my fz10 and get the fz1 again. Please give me some input!!! Or this is adumbidea?

I know everybody is bias towards their favorite product, but please try to give me some good advice.

Thanks
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:44 PM   #2

That is the beauty of having a choice. This is especially nice that there are a few models to choose from this impressive camera line. I have both the FZ1 and FZ10. If your hands are unsteady as you have stated due to the weight issue then, the FZ1 should be the one you should use instead. There is an FZ3 model out that is smaller than the FZ10.

FZ1 is a great camera and I would suggest you get one soon since it appears production has ceased on this model and that it also looks as though the the black model is no longer available unless shopping on ebay.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3

I moved up from a FZ1v2 to FZ10. I still love my FZ1 and use it only for infrared pictures. I know how you feel about the weight and size of the camera. My hands were shaking so much and sometimes after holding on to the camera for a long time, my hands would get tired and then I really couldn't hold it steady. Don't worry, the best and probably only thing to do if you are not using a tripod is to use an eyecup and press the camera firmly against your face. You will instantly see the shaking disappear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I love the FZ10, especially because it gives you full manual control and manual focus.

Go check out that eye cup.
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the advices. Now both of you have the fz1 and fz10. Which one do you use the most? and why?

Thanks
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 1:51 PM   #5

I have the tendency to use my FZ10 more when I want to take pictures for printing purposes as well as cropping. The fact that there is more functionality gets me to learn more about photography rather than just taking snapshots like I used to with my old Minolta 110. Even better the Minoltadisc camera back in the mid-eighties.

I have both because I enjoy using both. The FZ1 is easier in a sense that it has that beginner setting for those shots you want to take but don't have time to set up. The FZ10 for sports, action and scenery shots.

I will say that prints from either camera is great at 4x6. 8x10 is max for the FZ1 and still good in quality butnot as good asthe FZ10.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:24 PM   #6

FZ1 for infrared only and all others with FZ10. Give it some time and you will fall in love with the added features that the FZ1 does not have.
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 2:41 PM   #7

I had the same camera shake problem with my FZ10 - i just find the grip just too small and uncomfortable esp compared to my nikon coolpix or Canon EOS. So after getting some really good advice from the guys here on the forum I got my hands on an eye cup and its made the world of difference. I think the FZ20's got it right with the bigger handle and I really wish there was a way to bulk up the FZ10's.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 5:21 PM   #8

Well this is an interesting thread and problem for sure. The reason I went for the FZ10 was the IS. Now I use mine on mode 2. There is no way I can work with a tripod and there is no way I can have a camera that shakes or I can't hand hold. At the ratios I shoot with, the camera needs good balance and anexcellent IS system to match.

Ok on the front of my FZ10 is added 35mm slr lenses, even a Nikkor 70-210mm which is huge. Now thelens weighs a lot more than the camera, so how heavy does it get. All used hand held and shakes are not allowed.

As an example, a fly taken with the FZ10 and Nikkor 70-210, at this ratio shakes would be a huge problem and I don't have that problem at all. The IS on mode 1 looks steady as we view, personally I use mode 2, this seems to be a better mode for the IS justas the shutter operates.

Ok, subjective to what we want and need, it sure is, so we are all different.In fairness, the Sony CD-1000 Ihave has a slightly better IS system IMO. Not much but it is better. The new FZ20, I don't know about. The FZ10 and shaking I honestly don't have a problem with.

All the best and maybe I just have a good one :-)

Danny.

Attached Images

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:57 AM   #9

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Ok on the front of my FZ10 is added 35mm slr lenses, even a Nikkor 70-210mm which is huge. Now the lens weighs a lot more than the camera, so how heavy does it get. All used hand held and shakes are not allowed.
Could you please describe how you've attached the Nikkor to the front of the FZ10. Thanks.

Dick
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 1:56 PM   #10

What I've done Dick, is to take a rear lens cap, Canon and Nikon, cut the centre out and glue that a55mm filter with the glass taken out. The lens mounts onto the rear lens cap, normal way around, and the filter screws right onto the front lens of the FZ10.

I have permantlyalready fixed a filter with a 55mm thread to the FZ10 lens.Similar to what I did with the Sony CD-1000.

http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/lenses/lenses.htm

All the best Dick.

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote