Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:14 PM   #1

Hi Guys! I need some Macrohelp!!

I´m confused, I need to buy a Macro lens for Fz20, I´v been reeding about Nikon 4- 6T, Olympus "MCON 40" and "b-macro",does anybodyknow the differences between the Olys? Arethey good?

I would very much appreciate if someone could help me with this

Regards,

Moncho
Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2004, 3:52 PM   #2

All are +3 diopter dual element lens of essentially equal quality. All would (and do) work equally well with the fz20. The only difference is the thread diameter that attaches to the fz20 adapter - preferably a shorter andnarrower 3rd party adapter which range from 52-62mm. Macro lens: Nikon4t - 52mm ($30) ; 6t - 62mm ($50); Olympus mcon40 - 62mm (>$100); bmacro - 55mm (<$100,recently seen on ebay for ~$60). The Canon 500d is a similar lens for ~$80.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:46 PM   #3

Fmoore, thanks a lot! yow help me so much! brief and to the point!

Istill have one doubt, (sorry!):?:?

When you say... " preferably a shorter andnarrower 3rd party adapter which range from 52-62mm"... you mean like the Phayee?? why?:?

And thanks a lot again,

Moncho

Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:48 PM   #4

I believe you mean Macro Filter...

But any case, if you plan to get the lens hood adapter, then go with Nikon 6T..

If you are planning to use standard hood that came with the camera, the B+W 5T and 6T are both very good. They have it in 72mm size, so no adapter needed.

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:17 PM   #5

Moncho wrote:
Quote:
When you say... " preferably a shorter andnarrower 3rd party adapter which range from 52-62mm"... you mean like the Phayee?? why?
Yes, like the Phayee. The adapter that comes with the fz20 has two problems. 1) It has 72mm diameter threads. 72mm filters are expensive and hard to come by. The actual diameter of the fz20 lens is about 49mm. There is no need for so much glass. 2)Screwing a filter onto the supplied adapter puts the filter about 20mm from the extended fz20. If you use step rings toreduce thediameter of the supplied adapter tosomething morereasonable (between 52mmand 62mm whichare the sizes of most filters), that diatance is increased. Ideally, you want toget the filter as close to thecamera lens as possible.Third party adapters are available in the 52mm-62mm range from raynox, yoshida, pemaraal, phayeem, etc.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:49 PM   #6

Smilepak, lets try and keep the 6T and a macro filer or closeup filter seperate. The Nikon 6T is a twin element design rather than a single element closeup or macro "filter".

Anyway, just IMHO.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 10:51 AM   #7

Hi Danny, I´v seen your Macroshots on the web, the tuo drops are just Amazing!!!! good work! I´hope Iget that kind Ofpics in thefuture...

My doubt is: With 52mm macro lenses and filters, and the step down ring,you don´t get any vigneting in any range of the zoom??

do you know any Macro ring (not so expensive)for FZ 20? Iknow there are some Nikon, Sunpack and Vivitar ,but the thing is I can´t go to the store and see them, cos I´m in far away in Argentina, and when I buy something, has to be the right one

because I can´t go and change it so eselly!! soI really appreciateyour helpguys, thanks, thanks thanks!!

Moncho

(is the nickname of my future sun, mine is FEDERICO! the one on the Photo)
Attached Images

Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:13 PM   #8

Thanks Moncho :-). I know the feeling. In New Zealand I also have to watch the $. Sometimes I don't think some realise how lucky they are.

I tried a normal + 3 Hoya for afriend recently. He wanted to know what it could do and I was interested as well. So the shots of the tiny flies on the flower at the top of this page is with a Hoya +3 added to the FZ10. Single element design closeup filter.

http://www.nzmacro.50megs.com/fz10/drops.htm

Not bad results. They needed sharpening and did have slight CA on the flower edges. Fuill frame, I don'tcrop. I'm sure other brands like the ones you mention would be ok as well as the Hoya.

I doubt you would get vignetting because yes, the entire zoom range opens up. The zoom determines the macro ratio. Keep it off the macro setting though. Its not needed when we add lenses for macro.

All the best Moncho, good luck with it :-)

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:02 AM   #9

Moncho wrote:
Quote:
Hi Danny, I´v seen your Macroshots on the web, the tuo drops are just Amazing!!!! good work! I´hope I get that kind Of pics in the future...

My doubt is: With 52mm macro lenses and filters, and the step down ring, you don´t get any vigneting in any range of the zoom??
If you use a raynox adapter you don't need a step down ring. Also you would use the 4T vs. 6T since its native 52mm.
I happened to have lenses already w/52mm so I went with that adapter and it works fine. I did get viginetting with the wide angle lense, but it was an old Hitachi (don't know who really made it) and the exit size is really ~47mm. The telephoto does fine. I'd look at the lens I wanted and then get the adapter which most closely matched that lens.

Bill
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:45 AM   #10

Slightly OT, but I went to the B&H website and they also have the Nikon 5T which they say can be combined with the 6T "for even greater effects". Thought that was interesting. Has anyone tried this?
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote