Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:04 AM   #1

In an attempt to further procrasinate my work (which I am up all night doing, btw), I checked out the dcresource forum for Panasonic and saw a very interesting comparison which I thought you guys would like to see. I found it particularly interesting because at my office (former) they had a digital rebel and were doing 20X30 prints that looked incredible. And I played around with the camera, a bit, but I definitely like the feel of my FZ20. And I read some of the posts on this forum about noise due to the size of the sensor. And the Rebel has that CMOS sensor which I think is larger and supposedly higher quality. Check this out:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:40 AM   #2

Nancy

Thanks for the that. Very interesting indeed..I was shocked by the difference and thought the Canon with the bigger sensor would have blown the FZ away but it didn't and the reverse is true.

Harj

:-)
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 9:37 AM   #3

Thanks I have been looking at those two cameras. My leaning was and is toward the Lumix for the "all in one" lens by Leica. Reading the reviews on the Canon has held me from a final decision. They all say it is a revolutonary camera etc. This helps.
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 12:31 PM   #4

great find, been telling my friend to check out the FZ's before buying the Canon Rebel. The word "SLR" I guess makes the camera 10 times better than our "non-slr", but I don't think so.
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 2:30 PM   #5

All I can say is...

Lumix's Rock...

Canon's... :blah:...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 6:45 PM   #6

Hmm a bit unfair comparison...

One end you have a above average digital camera against a dSLR.

I would say Rebel vs D70 would be more of a fit

smilepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:11 PM   #7

Don't even get me started on my "DSLR" rant. Pointless waste, are DSLRs. They have no reason to be. That said, I don't quite trust this comparison. No way the Canon could be underexposing to this degree without massive complaints, if not an outright recall. Serious metering issue here, if it's not user error. Note, however, you gotta give it to the Canon for the nice low depth of field, a trade-off you'll never get with the Panasonics. I miss that nice "blurry background/sharp as a tack subject" look from my film camera.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 9:47 PM   #8

Yep!, I agree on that...

I never had a SLR, but Im not blind!! ButI can´t aford a DSLR, so, Im very happy to find FZ !! a hell of a camera for the price!!!

Salút!!

Moncho
Moncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 3:34 AM   #9

The CMOS sensor is a big advantage b/c you can have an ISO of 1600 and the grain looks like our (the FZ20's) 400!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 9:22 PM   #10

I don't think the DSLR's are going to be around all that much longer anyway. No one wants to carry all those lenses around, and switch them all the time.

And with the cameras that are comming out now a days, you can get mostly any shot you need with a digital big zoom.

Are there any didgital cameras that use a CMOS sensor?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote