Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:48 PM   #21

Ok.. the best way to clean it is drive if with a 4*4 and tehn stop.. and reverse back. Should fix any other problems the cam may have too !

Harj

:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 7:48 PM   #22

Ok.. the best way to clean it is drive if with a 4*4 and tehn stop.. and reverse back. Should fix any other problems the cam may have too !

Harj

:blah:
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:52 PM   #23

Nick,

once again im shocked at your total disrespect for our leica engineered lens. Boiling water! as if that can really kill all the germs. your ignoranceastounds me, and i dont know why i even bother replying. You must, MUST, autoclave the camera to completely remove all foreign growth and bacteria. ok ,for the fz1, boiling water may suffice, but certainly not for the fz20.
nacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:56 AM   #24

I find that a sand blaster works quite well. It gets off the big chunks without damaging the electronics, which can sometimes happen upon immersion in toilet bowls or boiling water.

With dried-on organic matter (for example, from getting too close on a road-kill macro shot) a flamethrower is effective. Just be careful to use short bursts so that the plastic parts don't melt.
stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:48 AM   #25

I left my camera on the couch one afternoon while I went to the kitchen toget a cup of coffee. When I came back around the corner I saw my boxer licking the camera lens. I yelled at him and began to clean off the slimy drool with a soft, dry cloth. I took the camera outside, snapped off a few images and went upstairs to check out the pictures on the computer. To my astonishment, the images had a gorgeous film-like quality about them like I've never seen before. I was thrilled! I ran back downstairs, praised the dog and gave him a whole box of biscuits.
Attached Images

sensor humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:38 PM   #26

I need to get a boxer! Any on ebay ... good one!
jesuswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 11:06 PM   #27

Then there was the time that I put a lens into the washing machine with the laundry,....fer real. I was on a trip with one of my old 35mm cameras. I had an 80~200mm manual focus lens with me and when I packed up my duffle bag I just stuck the lens in with the clothes, instead of putting it back in the camera bag. I fogot all about it and when I got back home I just dumped the the duffle bag clothes into the washing machine, dumped in the soap. and pushed the wash buttons. A minute or two later the washing machine sounded like it tossed a rod.

Oh yeah, I trashed a 35mm camera body once when I used a bit of anti fogging solution on the eyepiece. I live in Floriduh and sometime with the humidity, the eyepeice would fog up. So I got this anti fogging solution at an auto parts store. The directions said to apply the solution to a soft cloth and wipe the windows, then let it dry to a haze, and then wipe off. I decided to just put a drop directly onto the eyepiece, let it dry to a haze, and then wipe off. The solution seeped inside the eyepiece, and dryed to a haze. It was cheaper to toss the body and buy a new one.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:36 PM   #28

But seriously folks....

If you do want a good lens cleaner, I found one by Zeiss that comes with a little zipper pouch (and it says "Zeiss" on it---oooooh, aaaaaahhh). It has a brush, cleaning spray, a chamois, these Zeiss wet nap individually wrapped thingees and some q-tips. It is very high quality, and I just cleaned my lens (on the FZ20) today and it looks better than when I got the camera. I cleaned my filter and it didn't look like there was glass in the filter, it was incredibly see thru. The kit is $24.95, but you can just get the wet naps from Zeiss and a Chamois (I like the Leica one the best-the Zeiss runs a close second). Here is the link for the kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...950&is=REG

If you just want to get those wet naps (which I highly recommend - you can throw a few of them in each of your camera bags, and keep some handy by your computer, etc.). They are actually called "Zeiss Moistened Cleaning Tissue" and you can find them here for $6.95 (for 21 individually wrapped tissues):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...933&is=REG

and here for the leica lens cleaning cloth ($5.13):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...mp;Submit.y=17
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:32 PM   #29

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I found one by Zeiss that comes with a little zipper pouch (and it says "Zeiss" on it---oooooh, aaaaaahhh).*
... ya gotsta luv a gal who speaks of designer lens-cleaning kits the way others talk about Gucci handbags, and collects teleconverter lenses the way others collect pairs of shoes.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:42 PM   #30
Fox

Seems like I have seen those Zeiss cleaning packs at SAMS Club and Wal-mart.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote