Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:32 PM   #11

Looks like WinMe may be the problem and it does not help that the driver from the CD is said to not be necessary and then when plugging the camera in it does not recognize your camera for download of your pictures. Hope the card reader helps.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 5:14 AM   #12

Thanks for your time and help. It is much appreciated.
ALPHA4088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 10:18 AM   #13

No problem, I know how it can be when you ask a question and you see it has been viewed and no one seems to want to answer. I have one last suggestion that you may have already done but it is worth mentioning.

The question is:

"Have you done all of your windows updates?"

I know that ME probably hasn't had much recently but when was the last time you checked to see if your OS has all the updates. Some people forget about it since they don't have it set on automatic for updates.

Again I hope you can get those great pictures to download so you can share with us.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 8:13 AM   #14

Yes, I done all the updates about three weeks ago. My son is coming to see me today and he is going to try the camera on his OS to see if it works. He is running Windowa XP. His camera works perfect on it. At least it will confirm that my OS is faulty. Will then probably update to XP. Will let you know the result.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:40 PM   #15

I just bought a Panasonic lumix a week ago and am having exactly the same problem as you! The PC asks for a driver to be installed while the CD refuses to downoad the driver as it says the OS already has one. My OS is Win XP. XP is supposed to automatically recognise the camera as it already has USB drivers. What it does, however, is to recognise the new hardware ( the camera) and start installation. However, the installation is stopped midway with the following message: data error(cyclic redundancy check). Someone reccomended that i reinstall XP as an upgrade but i think i will just buy a card reader instead. Hope XP solves your problem..otherwise the both of us are stuck in the same boat! i have heard that XP has had some problems regarding USB connectivity.
shimmer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:15 AM   #16

OK..first of all, before you worry about the SD software, the camera should show up on your computer as a removable diskette drive. If not, the camera is either not detected by the system, or the driver didn't install right. If you have front and back USB ports, switch to the opposite bank of ports that you are using. Sometimes one set is either not installed right, or may be disabled. Many computer manf. leave one set of USB ports disabled, hoping that you don't figure that out until your warranty is up to get you topay for tech support to get them to turn those portson.

Second, make sure the camera is powered on BEFORE loading the software. I have seen the camera not recognize the card if you load the software first, and THEN turn on the camera. I have found that once that happens, you may need to actually unplug the camera andreboot the computer before trying again.

If that doesn't help, contact technical support. They might be able to make some other suggestions.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 4:10 AM   #17

Thank you all for your support. My son connected the camera to his PC ( running XP ) and it ran 100% perfect thus proving to me that the camera is not at fault. It is a fault in my OS (ME) . I will now wait till I get my card reader , which is on it's way, and see if it works with that.