Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 11, 2004, 5:11 AM   #1

Hi all. I'm a newbie who has just got an FZ3 - thanks for all the advice and comments in this forum - was a strong influence on my decision! Initial impressions are very positive. But I have a question which I would appreciate advice on. On most indoor shots I've tried so far the "jitter" symbol comes on - no matter how steady etc I hold the camera. It seems to occur no matter what setting is being used. "Simple" mode "Program" mode or any of the others. Whether zooming or not. ( This is without the flash being open though and with the stabiliser thing set to always on) However if the flash is popped open the "jitter" symbol seems to then immediately disappear. Could anyone just confirm that this is "normal" and that I havent got a faulty camera? If I just go ahead and take the shots anyway the results look fine to me !! ( though obviously different depending whether flash was used or not) I'm just not exactly sure what/how I should be "reacting " to that "jitter" thingie!! Thanks in advance everyone.
shirleywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2004, 8:20 AM   #2

Yes... it's completely normal. All FZ's do this. It's just a warning symbol that you might get a blurry image. It's telling you that the meter reads that there is insufficient light, and your shutter speed is too slow (1/30 or a second - a typical shutter speed for indoors). Your shutter stays open longer to let more light in. At this slow of a shutter speed, really what happens is you "can" (though not necessarily) get motion blur - even with the OIS on. Motion blur is not really an out of focus image. It is caused by the subject moving faster than the shutter speed. It can also be (and often is...) caused by simply squeezing the trigger on the camera. Expect to see this warning just about every time when shooting indoors without using a flash

The reason why the warning disappears with the flash, is that when the camera knows that the flash is active, it increases the shutter speed (more light the faster the shutter can be triggered) to 1/125 a second. Thus it is far less likely to get a blury image due to motion blur, since now your shutter is probably moving faster than the subject. Your camera's shutter speed ranges from 8 seconds all the way to 1/2000 of a second. Using a 1/2000 of a second shutter speed you can take a sharp as a tack picture of a drop of water splashing in glass that looks "frozen". The long shutter speed could be used to take a still-life in near darkness with natural light, or special effects.

When you see the camera shake warning you can:

1. Increase your shutter speed in SS priority mode (which may result in a dark image instead of a blurry one)

2. Take the shot anyway and see what happens. Again, this is just a warning.

3. Use the flash.

4. You will still see the warning, but keeping the lens at its widest setting will help (that is do not extend the zoom) greatly. The more the zoom is extended, the more likely you will get a blurry image in low light. (Know that zooming beyond 5X with any camera that doesn't have IS requires a tripod!)

5. Setting the self-timer to 2 seconds for indoor group shots is helpful, as it reduces the motion blur caused by squeezing the trigger.

6. Open the aperture wider to 2.8, though usually that where the camera will set itself anyway in an indoor shot.

7. Change the ISO setting on your camera to 200 or 400, though you will get noise in the picture... fine grain that some find distracting. There is software that removes this but it also can remove detail from the image.

Isn't technology great? In the old days you would pay to have all those blurry pics developed, and your camera just laughed at you (to itself...):G
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 12:03 PM   #3

Wow!!! Many many thanks for the quick and full reply. I'm new not just to FZ's but to digital cameras generally!!! But very much appreciate you taking the trouble with such a good and full response! I'm learning lots fast from this forum and really really appreciate all the help. Thanks again!!
shirleywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:13 PM   #4

You're welcome. Glad I could help. Just remember to jump on and help other newbies to return the fav. sometime.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:05 AM   #5

Or use a Tripod and get all the pics you want with not blur...
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote