Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 12, 2004, 11:28 AM   #1

We're going camping with the Boy Scouts this weekend, and it's supposed to get down to the low 30's (F) at night, in the 40's and 50's during the day. Is that harmful to the FZ10? I was thinking it might be fun to take the camera.

cageyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2

FZ10 can handle temperatures below 32F but the camera's operaton slows down and the battery wont last long.
Biggest danger lays in sudden temperature changes, moisture can destroy the camera if it is brought to warm air straight from the cold.
I suggest you keep the camera sealed in the camerabag for some time afer cold weather shooting,
just remember to remove the memorycard before so you can check out the photos while camera is slowly warming.

If i remember correctly Panasonic warranty does not cover damages caused by cold weather, i might be wrong though...

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 1:18 PM   #3

Thanks! My camera bag is somewhat insulated, so it sounds like I should:
  • take an extra battery (that's fine, it's one day and night)[/*]
  • put the camera in the bag when not shooting[/*]
  • don't go from the cold into a warm building, unless the camera is in the bag
[/*]
When getting back in the car for the drive home, I'll have the camera in the bag, too, so heating the car wouldn't cause a problem, right?

thanks again
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:08 PM   #4

Sounds good to me, i dont think that there is going to be any problems when following those precautions.
Happy shooting
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 2:19 PM   #5

to be extra safe, pack a large ziplock bag in your camera bag. Before going into a warm building, place the camera in the ziplock bag and seal it. Then go inside. If condensation forms, it will form on the outside of the ziplock bag, protecting your camera from moisture. I did this with my Canon A2E in 5 degree weather. worked everytime. make sure your ziplock has no holes in it and sealed correctly.
FZ20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:08 PM   #6

Great ideas!

Here are some pictures from a previous campout, including some shots of a spider we found.

Thanks, guys!
Old Nov 12, 2004, 3:25 PM   #7

Temps of 30s to 40s should be fine for FZ10.

If you can find one locally, you could try the DPS 9000 external battery which is Lithium based (therefore more impervious to cold).

Also, much more "juice" than reg dig cam bat.

Good luck
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:04 PM   #8

I've used my Canon EOS film and digital cameras, and mynikon 5400 in Canadian winters. With temps getting to -30c before I give up too quickly. (remember that at -40c and -40f meet)

In the real cold batteries die quick, lcd's can black out. Worst problem is coming back indoors. You must protect the camera from condensation, by bagging it in a big ziplock bag until it warms up.

:G32f is 0c and that is a warm spring day :G

:blah::blah::blah:Still tee-shirt weather. :blah::blah::blah:

BTW use the search at the top of the page there are quite a few threads on cold weather camera usage. :idea:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 8:55 PM   #9

any updates on the cold temperature issue?
(last year at my house it got down to -16F = -27 C)

I wish Panasonic would at least say which parts of the camera (if any) were designed for the 0-40 C range... most electronic chips nowadays are spec'd at -40C to +85C.
arghman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2004, 9:14 PM   #10

I just sent the same identical question to several manufacturers customer service departments that I have digitals from (Canon, Fuji, Nikon)citing their manual page and asking them what they meant by operating range 0c-40c, and if it was safe to use their cameras in the winter. :-)

So far only one has responded, I am still waiting for the other two. I'll post their responses when I have them all in.

:blah:I just like to disturb the ****a little:blah:.

Myself, I have not yet had any troubles with using digitals in the cold. except for reduced battery life.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote