Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 13, 2004, 2:27 PM   #1

I noticed that the tcons come with different letters at the end, I know this has to do with the size of thread. Well I have the tcon 14b for my fz10, but I want to buy a tcon 14u (46mm) for my newfz1.Will this lens work for my fz1????Is this too small for the fz1?

I sawthe tcon 14uon ebay for $40, and I wonder if the quality is the same as my tcon 14b

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Juan
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 7:17 PM   #2

Do you do a lot of zooming? You might want to take a look at the Olympus C-210. I just got this in the mail to use with the FZ-1. I haven't tried it yet because it requires a 55-52mm step-down ring, which hasn't arrived in the mail yet.

What's good about it is that it's 1/2 the price and 1/2 the weight of the TCONs. Many - if not most, go with the TCON-17 for the FZ-1. Due to their weight, lots of people buy a special metal adapter from Japan (the Yoshida adapter) to help support it. I've not heard of other FZ-1 users using these other TCONs you've referenced. That's not to say their not compatible. Usually the TCON-17 + Yoshida adapter for "serious" zoomers, and the Olympus C-210 if you want the capability for occasional use, as it's lighter and doesn't require an adapter.

The C-210 is a "good" teleconverter but not in the same league as the TCON-17. If you go with the TCON-17 or the other TCONs (if they're compatible and the same size as the 17) you might want to hurry and get the Yoshida adapter as they will be discontinued once the remaining stock is depleted. They go for about $55 US.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2004, 8:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice, I looked up the c-210 and it has a 1.9x (that's really good) Am I correct???? or is it less zoom?

Anyhow have you seen anybody using the c210 with the fz1 before, if so, how is the quality?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:03 PM   #4

Yes. It's a 1.9X. I haven't used it myself yet, as I'm waiting for the step-down ring. It's a good lens, but not as good as the TCONs. There's a recent thread that dicusses this. Fmoore who posts here regularly is the expert on filters and add-on lenses for the FZ's. He likes the C-210.

Scroll down the main page here, or use this link. There's a whole thread that discusses the C210 and also the TCON.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...85&forum_id=23

Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:06 PM   #5

Hey Nick,

That was a quick reply, thanks a bunch for your help. Muchas gracias amigo!

Have you seen any of fmoore's pics?
Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:15 PM   #6

Don't mention it. Fmoore has posting several pics throughout this forum. I've seen several. He's quite a photographer. He really pushes the limits of his FZ-1. I think we agree philosophically in that, we (certainly I) would rather spend the money to expand the capabilities of the FZ-1 by purchasing filters - IR, macro, wide-angle, telephoto converters, etc. than going for the more expensive cameras in the line. You expand capabilities but the trade off is the degree you can crop a photo and print sizes due to the FZ-1 being only 2 megapixels. Worth it to me but that's a minority opinion.

Let me know what you decide. If you read the thread, C210 isn't perfect but I decided it more met my needs, and Fred's pic of the bird on that thread looks perfectly fine to my eyes. That's said, I haven't tried the C210 myself yet, though it is nicely constructed.
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:17 PM   #7

Just to clarify a bit: The bird pic at the above link is one of the manyexcellent fz1/c210 shots of zoomn (aka zoomit at dpreveiw) See more http://zoomit.smugmug.com Aszoomn states in that link, most of the c210 shots require cropping due to vignetting even at full zoom (slight though it may be). Below is an uncropped shot taken with the fz1 and c210. You can see some darkening in the corners. For web viewing, the c210 is quite sufficient, IMO since cropping and other processing can readily be done for good results. Prints are another matter. I dont feel that the c210 is of a high enough quality to give excellent 8x10 prints. Now, I am not very adept at post processing and, being rather lazy, really prefer shots directly from the camera. Those profficient at processing may get excellent 8x10 using the c210.

As to the question of the tcon14u, I am not familiar with it, but if it is as big as the 14b you will want an adapter other for the fz1. Furthermore, why not just use the 14b on the fz1 if you already have a stronnger adapter. I think you will probably be okay with vignetting at full zoom with the 46mm but you may not be able to zoom back much.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:49 PM   #8

Just got the 55-52mm step-down ring, so I tried out the C-210. Well worth it but Fred is right... vignetting occurs well into the digital zoom range. So, you'll have to crop if you want to stay optical or go into the digital zone.

That said - man, FZ lens + C-210 = what a telescope! Ever see those gigantic, 10' long, cost as much as a car telephoto's the pro's use? The C-210 gives you that kind of zoom capability on the FZ-1 for a fraction of a fraction of the cost. It' not perfect, but absolutely - for $50-ish pesos, a worthwhile addition to your gear bag. Looking forward to the next full moon and clear sky so I can post my full moon shot 50 times like bobc. :G
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:15 PM   #9

Hey Nick have you taken any shots with the c210 and fz1 that you can post here? I am getting my c210 next week, I got it for $30 from olympus at ebay. I can wait to use it!

Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:20 PM   #10

juanmilla wrote:
Quote:
Hey Nick have you taken any shots with the c210 and fz1 that you can post here? I am getting my c210 next week, I got it for $30 from olympus at ebay. I can wait to use it!
No! Unfortunately, not yet. At least not something worth posting. Been busier'n a one-armed wallpaper hanger. I intend to post some pics as soon as I have a chance to play with my new toys, the C210 and the Raynox macro lens. All these new toys, no time to play.