Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 13, 2004, 9:41 PM   #1

An interesting thought:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=11026120
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:58 PM   #2

I have read several posts of people who just got their FZ's and within a week got dust in the inner lenses. They had to send their camera's in for service.

Most people think that is is caused by the lense extending that sucks the dust in.

I went and got a 72mm UV Haze filter and keep that along with the pana adapter on my baby at all times. I have had a few accurences of light interference due to the filter not being closer to the lense, but very few. I may consider getting the shorter adapter down the road, but right now I know my lense is protected not only from dust, but from damage as well.

I keep it on along with the hood. Even in the case.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:50 AM   #3

Ditto. It's just a good idea. Some argue that you're diminishing image quality by keeping a UV filter on the camera... that's simply not true. Better safe than sorry.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 12:01 PM   #4

bobc wrote:
Quote:
I have read several posts of people who just got their FZ's and within a week got dust in the inner lenses. They had to send their camera's in for service.

Most people think that is is caused by the lense extending that sucks the dust in.

I went and got a 72mm UV Haze filter and keep that along with the pana adapter on my baby at all times. I have had a few accurences of light interference due to the filter not being closer to the lense, but very few. I may consider getting the shorter adapter down the road, but right now I know my lense is protected not only from dust, but from damage as well.

I keep it on along with the hood. Even in the case.

bobc
UV (or anything comparable) filter is cheap insurance.
Always wear one for protection.

-sp
seppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:42 AM   #5

Ditto on all...

It's easier to change a filter than a lens. On my cheap point and shoots I don't usually bother to get the adapters to use filters with, but on my better camera I always do this. Besides dust, keeping the adapter tubes on also help keep grit and dirt out of the lens barrel gizmo which can cause problems down the road.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:40 PM   #6

Have to agree with the rest of the guys.. better to have the UV filter on.

Harj

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:08 PM   #7

Get an Adapter eg: Pemaraal and add a UV lens on it.. Protection both ways..

1.Using an adapter :
If by accident the camturns on inside the cam bag, it zooms outs and if obstructed by the bag will get the mechanism damaged.
However with the adapter on .. there is ample protection and less worry for that to happen as the mechanism extends to the size of the adapter..and is kinda encased in it..
Note: I had this actually happen . and I thank my Pemaraal adapter for saving the day!!!

Of course ppl tend to comment why not use the Panasonics Adapter ring... well it doesnt hold well for adding a UV lens to it due to ghosting/flaring as the distance of the UV to the actual lens is the cause for the above effect. Hence the 3rd party adapters took care of that.. so when you add a UV lens to them the distance of the UV lens and the Cams lens is marginal..hence works great !

2. As above .. The UV lens will protect the Cam Lens from damage , like scratches etc... Imagine how easy it is to clean the UV .. even if you use a wrong material to clean it and scratch the lens.. you can easily replace it for a few buck.. but with the original Leica lens.. uhmm another question..

Im not being sarcastic here.. but the saying "Penny wise and Pound foolish" would come into place..
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote