Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2004, 10:34 PM   #1

I have been using a FZ 10 since March 2004, taken over 1,000 photos most of my one year old son and I am not pleased with the sharpness of any of them. I have used other cameras and the results are very accpetable. Is this photo in focus?

Attached Images

azmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:23 AM   #2

Why not post up a full sized image and post the link here. Then we can take a look at the FULL image and exif. The compression in this is way off base. I took it into software. Change your software or compression ratios.

So, is this a crop ???

Danny.

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:28 AM   #3

I was having the same problem with my FZ_10. Here is a link that might help. It helped me. Made me realize it wasn't the camera, but the picture taker.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10240969

Hope this helps.

SLK
bshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:00 PM   #4

As mzmacro said it is hard to tell with that much compression and no exif but when I opened a levels layer on it , the picture is way over exposed.

I do not think the focus is right on ..but close.

I would set the exposure compensation to -2/3 as almost all FZ10s benefited from that.

And maybe try spot focus and IS mode 2

Also try turning off continuous Autofocus.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 1:32 PM   #5

Thanks to each one of ypu for your help.

nzmacro - I reduced the size of this photo considerably and then save it for the web using Adobe Image Ready

bshel - I will follow the instructions on the link you sent.

genece - I have tested this camera with many different settings and the results are still the same. The camera was at Panasonic 3 times, and they took a sot of a test pattern which in my opinion was out of focus. I will follow you instructions and test again.

Again Thank you ver much.

Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:11 PM   #6

genece wrote:
Quote:
I would set the exposure compensation to -2/3 as almost all FZ10s benefited from that.
I recently ordered two neutral density filter for outdoors to correct this very issue - blow out highlights/over exposure. Theoretically, the advantage of this - I'm thinking, is that I can keep the aperture at around 5.6, which seems to be the "sweet spot" for the FZ-1 (probably the FZ-10 too), rather than lowering it with exposure compensation. This may help to isolate the subject against the background. May help, may not. We'll see but thought I might suggest it.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:45 PM   #7

azmat,

You should be able to set that camera to P mode, point and shoot and get a clear shot just about every time unless you are using the zoom over 4 to 5x and depending on how much coffee you drink.

If you have tried using it with a tripod with IS off and 2 second timer, or tripod with IS set to mode2 without the 2 second timer, and can't get a clear shot, something may be wrong with the camera.

If you have been using it that long and tried different combinations of settings, it just does not make sense to me.

I do not have an FZ10 but have seen many sample pics. If you are saying that all your pics are out of focus, something is wrong.

Can you post some more pics along with the settings?

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:03 AM   #8

yeah, same here...I would not say the photos are out of focus, but they are just not as sharp in focus as it should be (compares to other FZ owner's photos posting)...
marlboro9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 11:27 AM   #9

Thanks again to everyone for all the advice.

I will try and get a couple photos posted once I can reduce them to an acceptable size.

I will add one thing is that I have been involved in photography for over 30 years and this has been a very frustrating experince as this camera was purchased to take photos of my son who was born on September 19, 2003.

Panasonic has been good in testing the camaera on three occasions and realigning the lens but the results for me are still the same all my photos are slightly out of focus. The photos appear to be sharply focus on the LCD screen but when downloaded to any computer system they are out of focus.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:35 PM   #10

azmat wrote:
Quote:
The photos appear to be sharply focus on the LCD screen but when downloaded to any computer system they are out of focus.
Are you zooming in with the LCD and checking? Also. Are you checking them in the EVF and zooming in?

If they are in focus on both the LDC & EVF, then when you download them on a computer, are you using something common to all the computers you have tryed it on?

It has to be something.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote