Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:08 AM   #1

Hi..

Anyone have any recommendation for a good and easy to follow Digital Photography Book - demonstrating all aspects of Photography.... eg: lighting, ISO, Metering, EV etc...

Thks..:roll:
fireworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2004, 12:52 PM   #2

If you feel really resourceful, search the web for info. Checkout http://www.megapixel.net for a start.

Most of the photography sites have tutorial pages. Megapixel has some good basic info. I just found info at http://www.adorama.com last week.There are 4 photographers giving advice. I haven't had a chance to read it thoroughly, but some of the info looked good.

My thinking is why pay when you can surf (I already pay for surfing, why not use it?).
Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:47 AM   #3

How to do everything in Digital Photography...

Digital Photography for Dummies. There is actually two versions of this book. One version is basicsofthe camera (its about 1/2 inch thick), and the other version also includes all of the post processing stuff (its about 2.5 inches thick). I got the bigger one, and it is one of the best books I've seen. And for once, there is very little annoying humor, or unsolicited opinion in it. Making this one of the less annoying Dummies books to read. And he is REALLY thorough on everything from picking your camera, to using it, to picking your accessories, general artistry, editing, formatting, printing, scanning, and some other stuff. Really the best Dummies book I've read to date.

MainFragger
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:46 AM   #4

In my humble opinion, I believe that (digital) photography is changing so rapidly, that the best thing to do is just surf the net for your info. That dummies book probably is a good idea if you really feel lost, and then maybe even a book on general photograpy, if that dummies book doesn't teach you about apertures, shutterspeeds, ISOs and their relationship--this is the most important thing to understanding photography. The zone system is also a good thing to know, as well as how a light meter (i.e. the meter in your digicam) works. It always meters to middle grey (Zone 5/V). So if you have a close up onsomeones face (caucassian) the meter will make the face too dark (by one stop or one aperture/shutterspeed). If you point your camera at a white wall, it will make it grey. If you point your camera at a black wall, it will make it grey. The meter doesn't know any better, but once you do, you can adjust accordingly. I learned all of this in Photo 1 in college. The book I read was byUpton &Upton, simply called "Photography". Henry Hornstein (I might have spelled his name wrong) also wrote a couple of good books. You might want to check them out of the library. This is if you are interested in how your camera works. Everything else you can easily learn online. Also image editing is pretty much a whole nuther discipline. I, myself, am thinking of taking a Photoshop course, b/c you can do so much more. But you definitely need to know the basics, even for PS. Hope I helped a bit.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:15 PM   #5

Drop the word digital and look for books on photography :-). Digital photography is just photography using a digital instead of a film camera and all the same principals apply to both.

No book will cover the specifics of a cameras operation as thereare just too many different cameras out there unless it is written just for that camera (magic lantern books make those, they walk you through the same information in an easier to understand way that is alreadyin your cameras manual)

Books without the "digital' word in the title can be found for less cash, and at used book stores and libraries.

I'm still waiting for someone to rework Ansel Adams three books that were mandatory reading way back, "The Camera", "The Negative", "The Print" into digital titled versions.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 12:21 PM   #6

I have learned more on forums like this than any book could ever offer me.

Forums with the power of google has brought my learning curve to a new level unmatched by any book or schooling.

What get annoying is the lazy member who keeps on asking questions instead of back tracking and reading past treads.
I started reading this forum from the very first page and didn't even post anything till I knew what I was talking about. Thanks to all the experienced members I know what I know now.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 1:43 PM   #7

Yes, that search button at the top of the page needs to be made bigger so it is noticed more.

Or like one technical forum I use, if you try to open a question it makes you do a search first before allowing the question post, and uses your search parms as the question topic. :?Paranoid, but thereis not muchtopic duplication there.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:34 AM   #8

There are differing techniques for different types of photography: portrait, landscapes, wildlife, etc. Any books by John Shaw, John Hedgecoe or "Moose" Peterson will be tremendously helpful. Take them out of the library and look them over before you buy.

Mike
mikejs304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:08 PM   #9

It's really two subjects.

1. Photography - read some books & practice a lot.

2. The digital darkroom. A VERY good place to start is the manual/help file for PhotoBrush3 that you can find at www.mediachance.com

You don't even have to download the program, although I also recommend that. At least the free trial to see for yourself.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 1:21 PM   #10

"Complete Digital Photography", second edition, by Ben Long. I have it and found it pretty informative for some one at a beginning to intermediate level of skill. The last portion of the book gives instructions on editing photos and uses the included cd to give visual helps using photoshop. It has a full 90 dat trial version of elements 2 on it if you don't have software yet to practice with.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote