Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:30 AM   #1

Topic says it all - I'll have the money, but if I get my FZ10 fixed I can buy a portable hard drive/card reader.

Do I lose anything in going from FZ10 to 20?
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2004, 2:21 PM   #2
hbh

The FZ20 shall have more noise from ISO 200 - 400 than the FZ10. COLORFoto wrotes, reason for that would be the firmware.
hbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:37 AM   #3

Can anyone confirm this? Steve's review didn't indicate this problem.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:22 AM   #4

From what I understand, there will be more noise with the FZ20 all around being that they didn't increase the size of the ccd chip. They just added more pixels, and apparently that adds more noise. But the FZ20 is a better camera, has a low light focus assist, that Venus II engine is supposedly much faster than the FZ10. Plus with photo editing software you can edit out unwanted noise. And unless your FZ10 is under warranty, it is going to cost so much to fix, it probably won't be worth it.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:17 AM   #5

I have a FZ10 and a FZ20 and I do notagree withwhat the others are saying ,as a matter of fact in situations like low light the FZ20 has less noise due to the in camera noise reduction, which I keep on low.

There are other advantages to the FZ20 quicker focus and more focus options, Better flash, and focus assist are among the improvements
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:28 AM   #6

I agree with the above post. The FZ20 has less noise, especially in low light situations. Images are sharper and more detailed as well. Focus assist light is a mjor upgrade to the fz10. Some people confuse noise with detail, don't let that confuse you.
FZ20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:52 PM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
I have a FZ10 and a FZ20 and I do notagree withwhat the others are saying ,as a matter of fact in situations like low light the FZ20 has less noise due to the in camera noise reduction, which I keep on low.

There are other advantages to the FZ20 quicker focus and more focus options, Better flash, and focus assist are among the improvements
If you look at all the big zoom camera's between 3 and 5 MP, they all use the same size sensor, and some of the 3 MP big zooms have an even smaller sensor.

You may get slightly more noise with the FZ20 (generally speaking), but the picture quality is supperior to the FZ10. As well as other improvements that where made.

I suggest you go and try one out first. You allready know what the FZ10 can do, try a 20 out at the store and make your choice.

Either way, you can't go wrong with a Lumix.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:46 PM   #8

Word. Thanks, everyone. I was 99 percent sure I wanted to upgrade, and now I'm sure. All I've gotta do is get the money together.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:06 PM   #9

Red Viper wrote:
Quote:
Word. Thanks, everyone. I was 99 percent sure I wanted to upgrade, and now I'm sure. All I've gotta do is get the money together.
Good luck with it. Please let us know how you make out.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote