Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:28 AM   #11

I have the phayee adapter as well (silver though). It really is a great product. The problem with the panasonic adapter is filters etc at 72mm start to really cost big bucks. It is actually cheaper in the long run to buy the phayee adapter simply because of the money you will save on filtes/step down rings:cart:
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:34 AM   #12

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
I have the phayee adapter as well (silver though). It really is a great product. The problem with the panasonic adapter is filters etc at 72mm start to really cost big bucks. It is actually cheaper in the long run to buy the phayee adapter simply because of the money you will save on filtes/step down rings:cart:
I only keep it on to protect the lense, and the filter was only 25 bucks.

I guess if I decide to expand into other types of filters or conversion lenses, I will get a 62mm adapter.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:58 AM   #13

This is what I got shooting at the sun. Is this caused by the filter being too far from the lense?

Attached Images

Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:00 AM   #14

Bob - CK Shene has a good overview of FZ10/20 adapters, hoods and issues on his website:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/

He discusses the Chen adapter, which apparently inspired the Phayee design.

Stuart
stuartw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:25 PM   #15

To Nancy...

I always keep the hood with the 2nd section off and keep my 62mm lens cap on when I have stored it my bag.

When I walk around with I have my hood on and not even worry about the lens cap and if it gets a little dusty just brush it off.

To me the hama hood is much more of a protector than any lens cap out there anyways.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:29 PM   #16

What up Bobc....I would guess if you spend over 500$ on a an incredible camera...spend a little more on a lens protector...its like driving a benz and putting 87 gas in it.

As with the picture...it would probably help a little with the flaring..but at that angle nothing is going to help probably unless your tilt your camera a little and use a really wide and long hood..like the hama.

Once you get the phayee. ...then you know what I am talking about.....thats why I went all out on the UV/Haze filter because you only buy it once and stick with it...so might as well get the best one.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:58 PM   #17

Bob, the green flare on your photo is most likely caused by the filter. I used to use a 72mm filter on the panasonic's hood and had the same result as yours. Later on I bought a phayee adaptor then I never have any excessive red/green flares in most of my photos. I now use a 62mm B+W filter and a petal shape lens hood on my FZ10.

I own the phayee adaptor for around 3 months by now and honestly I can't find any disadvantage of using it on my FZ10.

Here is a photo which I took last week with my FZ10. :-)
Attached Images

akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:29 PM   #18

Thanks all. Now I just need to figure out how to read chinees so I can order one.

Thanks...

bobc
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:28 AM   #19

bob, just e-mail [email protected], tell him what you want, and then go to paypal.com and pay for it, then you send him an e-mail confirming that you bought it (I included the paypal info). Or....you could learn Chinese......
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2004, 2:54 PM   #20

Rezajune wrote:
Quote:
the hama hood that you got is almost the standard in photography so you probably got a defective one.

I have used and abused my hama hood for a long time and still feels new.

One piece of advice.

Once you screw on the hama hood onto the Phayee adapter, do not take it off. Leave it on and only unscrew the second 72mm section of the Phayee adapter....
Hi Rezajune,

I've just recently bought an FZ15, and have been reading all of the different viewpoints about the popular adapter brands out there at dpreview's Panasonic discussion forum--Chen, Pemaraal, Raynox, Yoshida, and, of course, Phayee(which is the one that I've chosen to get). I found my head spinning after reading so many different opinions!:?:

After reading some threads on lens shades/hoods, I've decided to go with what most of the "experts" seem to be recommending--a collapsible rubber hood, as opposed to one of those "daisy" shaped shades. I understand Hoya makes one, as well as the Hama, which is being discussed on this thread.

My (dumb) question: Since the Hama is attached(screwed on) right after the filter and before the second piece of the adapter(the shade/hood), then is the correct hood size to get 62mm? I know that the second piece(hood) ends in 72mm, but the front end of it that attaches to the first piece of the adapter is 62mm, right?

'Sorry if I worded this poorly(and confusingly)...but I know that I have to get the Hama at another source than Rong Jin, like Adorama...so I just want to make sure that I order the correct sized hood.

Thanks so much, ahead of time, for your help! Take care.

Geoff
sukispop is offline   Reply With Quote