Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:47 PM   #31

the Panasonic adapter places the filter too far from the front of the lens, and can cause reflections or flaring. it's also plastic, not aluminum, so not as durable, and the filter diameter of 72mm means you have to use big, expensive filters. the Phayee uses 62mm filters. and if you ever want to put a teleconverter or WA converter on your camera, other than the ridiculously expensive Panasonic ones, the phayee offers a sturdier base andlets you use converters with few (or no) step rings required.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:51 PM   #32

So with both sections of the Phayee attached, and a 62mm filter in the middle, is there any flaring or shadows from the added length? I know there wouldn't be if you had the 72mm 2nd end section off, but if you leave that on is there any problems?

I'm thinking of using the Phayee 62mm > 62mm UV filter > Phayee 72mm > 72mm lens hood/and or 72mm lens cap. Comments?
sprocket87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:22 PM   #33

Im very happy with this adapter as well. Waisted money on 2 Raynox kits when i 1st started out. Just receivedthe 62mm Hoya Nature filter set along with the Nikon 6t

everything fits perfectly

pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:24 AM   #34

sprocket87 wrote:
Quote:
So with both sections of the Phayee attached, and a 62mm filter in the middle, is there any flaring or shadows from the added length? I know there wouldn't be if you had the 72mm 2nd end section off, but if you leave that on is there any problems?

I'm thinking of using the Phayee 62mm > 62mm UV filter > Phayee 72mm > 72mm lens hood/and or 72mm lens cap. Comments?
the "hood" that comes with the Phayee (the outer portion) is attached over the front portion with the filter in place, and doesn't in any way affect the filter position or cause any flaring. it doesn't attach to the end of the filter, but rather screws onto the outside of the adapter body about 3/8" to the rear of the filter, and extends over it to provide a rudimentary hood. unfortunately, it is nowhere near deep enough to provide adequate shielding for the FZ20 lens, so using it as a lens hood is a waste of time. i think i've put it on my camera once since i got the adapter, i found it doesn't really serve any useful purpose, so i took it off and haven't used it since. i've found the best solution is to use the phayee adapter, 62mm filter, and a 62mm collapsible rubber lens hood like the Hama. it will screw right onto the front threads of your UV or skylight filter. there's a clone of the Hama out there on ebay that seems to work pretty well, and only costs about $9. even those are only really suitable for 210-250mm telephotos, though, so at full zoom, the FZ20 is still too much lens for them. they're far, far better than no hood at all, and seem to make a big difference, but a lot of folks will tell you that you need something at least 4" deep to provide proper shielding for the FZ at full zoom.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote