Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1

This adapter is great. It feels solid, and it perfectly matches the lens that it screws on to in color and if you look closely its texture. It matches it way better than the supplied Panasonic adapter. The 72mm extension just extends out a little past the filter (62mm) and I got the 72mm lens cap from Rong Jin also and it looks great. Definitely better than the Peramaal adapter that I had on it. To me it looked a bit weird b/c the filter was smaller than the diameter of the adapter, it looked like I screwed the filter on the top of a tin can. It is extremely sturdy and the focusing ring on the camera itself moves smoothly. This is what Panasonic should have included with the camera. If you own the fz10 or 20 you owe it to yourself to get this adapter. Now I am sounding like a spokesperson for the company, but I have nothing to do with them. I must say that the Hama lens hood that I got for it is not as good. It is essentially rubber that fits around a metal ring which screws onto the camera. Aside from all of the dust particles which came with my new hood (little white specs like someone dropped it into the bucket underneath a paper shredder) the rubber is separating itself from the the ring and I don't think I can get it back, or if I should bother glueing it or should I just return it to Adorama. It seems that if I collapse it and expand it a few more times it will completely separate. Does anyone else have this hood, and this problem? You can actually attach the Panasonic hood that comes with the camera, that works, but I do like the Hama (minus the separation problem).

Really, you all should get this adapter. I am so happy with it. It is like it was made by Leica, or Zeiss. Ok, I will stop promoting it. And now I also feel like a professional FZ20 owner. Having it set up right and all. Pictures will follow, but probably not today, it is extremely cloudy here in NYC. Ciao, all!
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:53 AM   #2

what colour is it silver?
jesuswon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:32 PM   #3

No, it is black. I take ityou have a silver camera?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:21 PM   #4

I am glad you liked your Phayee adapter.

Looking at other adapters I still believe the Phayee is superior to any other adapter simply because of the two sections. All adapter manufacterers make high quality tubes, but none make two sections like him.

And the hood is designed to be kind of flimsy and rubbery to one can extend it,...its a great hood especially because of the metal ring.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 1:22 PM   #5

So you don't have the problem of the rubber coming off of the metal ring? I think mine might be defective.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 2:37 PM   #6

the hama hood that you got is almost the standard in photography so you probably got a defective one.

I have used and abused my hama hood for a long time and still feels new.

One piece of advice.

Once you screw on the hama hood onto the Phayee adapter, do not take it off. Leave it on and only unscrew the second 72mm section of the Phayee adapter.

If you do keep on taking the hama hood on and off, it will wear out much faster. If you notice..the hama hood has a very tight grip on the phayee adapter so just leave it on.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 9:30 PM   #7

Thanks for your help. My only dilemma (and I realize how small it is), is which lens cap to use. B/c my camera doesn't fit in the bag with the hama hood on. So I can't leave it on when I put my camera away then I should have the 62mm cap attached to my camera, but then if I am walking around with it, I can't cap the lens too easily. Does your bag fit your camera w/the hama hood attached to it? And which lens cap do you have attached to your camera?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:45 PM   #8

I know I have seen the post somewhere, but where can I get this?

Thanks in advance.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 10:57 PM   #9

the phayee adapter you can get by e-mailing [email protected]or getting it thru e-bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

You can pay using paypal. The Hama hood is sold at adorama:

http://www.adorama.com/LNHZ72.html?s...&item_no=1

This info came from Rezajune's post a while back (don't remember the title of it).

Rong Jin also sells the lens caps that have that squeeze thingee in the center so you don't have to grab the edges of it and he sells them in 62mm & 72mm. I just e-mailed him for everything. Got it in about 2 weeks. Couldn't be happier. It is an incredible product. Panasonic should use his product with the camera!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:15 AM   #10

I have read posts about the panasonic adapter being too long and placing the filter too far from the lense causing reflection problems.

I have been using the panasonic adapter with a UV Haze filter and the panasonic hood. I have had a few shots where I was shooting toward the sun and have gotten some reflection with or without the filter. But have not had any problems other than that.

Could some one elabirate more on this and maybe post some samples?

Thanks in advance.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote