Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:56 PM   #1

I am still learning on there is to know about my new FZ20, but I have come across something odd.

The majority of the pictures I have taken so far are on the "P" setting, and for indoor pictures when I don't have the flash popped up (so it can go off), the pictures blur to the extent as if the still shot were an action pic. I have set the ISO to 80 and 400, and 400 is a bit better, but still not good. So it is as if they will only be clear or even legible if the flash is used.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:21 PM   #2
Administrator

Chances are, your primary problem isblur from camera shake versus focus. But, you'll want to make sure you have focus lock on the desired subject when taking your photos, too (half press the shutter button to confirm focus lock before pressing it the rest of the way down to take the photo).

Although your model has a stabilized lens to reduce blur from camera shake, it will have some limits in low light (stabilization usually gives you around a 2 stop advantage).

See my first post in this thread for a discussion of using cameras without a flash indoors:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

What kind of shutter speeds are you getting, and how much zoom are you using?

Do you have OIS turned on (mode 2 works best by most accounts)?

If you don't have an image editor that can see exposure information, download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (it's free). Make sure to download the free plugins, too. You'll see the camera settings (focal length, shutter speed, aperture, etc.) for an image you open under Image, Information, EXIF (and you can copy this information into a post here).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 4:22 PM   #3

Indoors won't be as bright as outdoors so the shutter speed is going to be longer.

The brighter it is the faster the shutter speed and vise versa. You need a tripod.

As with ISO 400....the lower the ISO the longer shutter speed you need..and with 400iso you need shorter ISO ..hence less blurriness.(new word I made up)

You just need to learn the perfect equation for you in manual mode to take better pictures.

Aperture + Shutter Speed + ISO = Ideal Shoot

Try using also a large aperture or small F-Stop (same thing)...like F 2.8..

Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:34 AM   #4

when I got this camera I was looking forward to shooting in low light w/o a flash. I was a bit disappointed with my results. But if I don't zoom in and hold the camera steady I can get a solid shot, even at a half a second.But forget about zooming in and shooting in low light unless you have your flash on. The one great thing about having a digital camera, is that I experiment now with bouncing my flash to get more natural pics. Once you get the bounce angle right (assuming you are taking a bunch of pics in the same room) and exposure, then you just keep shooting away. Of course if you don't want to use a flash, then get a tripod. I got this mini tripod (it's about 12" tall) to put on a table so I can take indoor pics w/o a flash. I also ordered a cable release from Panasonic. They say that I am due to receive it around Thanksgiving.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2004, 5:24 PM   #5

Can you elaborate on the bouncing the flash?

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
when I got this camera I was looking forward to shooting in low light w/o a flash. I was a bit disappointed with my results. But if I don't zoom in and hold the camera steady I can get a solid shot, even at a half a second.But forget about zooming in and shooting in low light unless you have your flash on. The one great thing about having a digital camera, is that I experiment now with bouncing my flash to get more natural pics. Once you get the bounce angle right (assuming you are taking a bunch of pics in the same room) and exposure, then you just keep shooting away. Of course if you don't want to use a flash, then get a tripod. I got this mini tripod (it's about 12" tall) to put on a table so I can take indoor pics w/o a flash. I also ordered a cable release from Panasonic. They say that I am due to receive it around Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 20, 2004, 8:50 PM   #6

slitman wrote:
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the bouncing the flash?
She is talking about an external flash mounted on the hot shoe. The head pivots so you can bounce the flash from the ceiling or wall to get different light angle effects rather than just direct head on flash.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 7:49 AM   #7

JimC, yes the issue is definitely camera shake as I have noticed that the camera shake "indicator" has been lighting up; not sure exactly when it determines to display this indicator.

I have tried Mode 2 and that seems to be a bit better, but the shutter has definitely been too slow.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Chances are, your primary problem isblur from camera shake versus focus. But, you'll want to make sure you have focus lock on the desired subject when taking your photos, too (half press the shutter button to confirm focus lock before pressing it the rest of the way down to take the photo).

Although your model has a stabilized lens to reduce blur from camera shake, it will have some limits in low light (stabilization usually gives you around a 2 stop advantage).

See my first post in this thread for a discussion of using cameras without a flash indoors:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=2

What kind of shutter speeds are you getting, and how much zoom are you using?

Do you have OIS turned on (mode 2 works best by most accounts)?

If you don't have an image editor that can see exposure information, download irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com (it's free). Make sure to download the free plugins, too. You'll see the camera settings (focal length, shutter speed, aperture, etc.) for an image you open under Image, Information, EXIF (and you can copy this information into a post here).

Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:15 AM   #8
Administrator

slitman wrote:
Quote:
JimC, yes the issue is definitely camera shake as I have noticed that the camera shake "indicator" has been lighting up; not sure exactly when it determines to display this indicator.

I have tried Mode 2 and that seems to be a bit better, but the shutter has definitely been too slow.
That's why I suggested you actually check to see what your shutter speeds are using a tool like irfanview, so you'll have a better idea of what the cameras limitations will be, and what you may need to change.

You may need to bump the ISO speed up to 400 to get better results (although,this will increase noise). But, there are tools to help reduce the appearance of noise.

If you don't use as much zoom, that will help, too (camera shake is maginified as more zoom is used).

Of course, disabling OIS and using a tripod is another option (this will reduce blur from camera shake, but won't help for subject movement -- you need faster shutter speeds for that).

Read my posts in the thread I posted a link to, so that you'll get a better idea of some of thefactors that influence low light shooting:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=38391&forum_id=2

Then, youmay want to post some samples and EXIF information so that users can see what you're talking about, and look at the settings you used (amount of zoom, ISO speed, aperture, shutter speed, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote