Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 20, 2004, 4:22 AM   #1

GREETING TO THE FORUM MEMBERS.
I am wondering if anyone out there has the Panasonic wide angle lens, and if so, How do you like it, etc?
Also, if I put the Phayee set up on my FZ20, can I use the wide angle without removing the Phayee set up? I am brand new to all of this, so appreciate any suggestions, experiences and the like.
Thanks,

Pdaddy
pdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2004, 2:39 PM   #2

pdaddy,

I'm confused by your post.

The subject says "PANASONIC'S TITANIUM EXTREEME WIDE ANGLE ZOOM(140 DEGREE)" yet I know of no such lens nor can I find it on either the Panasonic US or Panasonic Global web site.

If you are referring to an eBay listing (which, in my experience, at first glance misleads the viewer into thinking that the item is an OEM item where, in fact, it is not), all Titanium lenses -- not just the Extreme Wide Angle -- are junk. As the old adage goes, "You get what you pay for".

As to your second question, if you have the Phayee adapter tube (I have the Chen adapter from which the Phayee is copied), you can mount any 62mm lens adapter directly to it (e.g., Olympus TCON-14B, WCON-08B, MCON-35; Canon TL-55; Nikon 5T, 6T). If you also have the 62-55mm thread converter, you can mount any 55mm lens adapter with it (e.g., Olympus TCON-17, WCON-07, MCON-40).

Check out the following websites:

CK Shene's -- http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/ -- for very useful information on all sorts of FZ10/15/20 accessories (as well as various Nikon models)

David Fong's -- http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/DMCFZ10/ -- Panasonic DMC FZ-10 rough guide

10kzoomfz's -- http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/fz10_...nd_information -- for photo comparisons of the various telephoto adapters

Hope this helps.

Dick

[Edited 2004-11-20 17:35-EST to correct 55mm lens list. Nikon 3T/4T are 52mm not 55mm. My error.]
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 2:46 AM   #3

Dick,
Thanks for your reply. You are correct. It is not a Panasonic lens. I was looking at it on www.mydigitalpalace.com site under panasonic dmc f20z. It is one they are offering. Maybe you have some thoughs on that lens. Since I am brand new at this, please bear with me when I ask you why you say that all Titanium lenses are junk? I appreciate uyour time and expertise on this matter.
Pdaddy
Old Nov 21, 2004, 5:55 PM   #4

pdaddy,

First, I have to say that I am by no means an expert in these matters. I am a frugal Yankee with high standards and have spent quite a bit of time researching (to death, some would say) my digital camera and accessories over the last year or so.

I have no first-hand experience with this brand of lens. I've formed my opinion (which may have been stated a little too strongly in my initial reply) from reading posts on this and other forums and by following links like those I've mentioned. I'd suggest that you do a search of these forums (and any others that you frequent) on 'Titanium' and see what other people have to say. You don't need to limit yourself to the Panasonic forum though because these lenses are generic and sold for many brands of cameras. A search of Steve's Forums, for example, yields 7 pages of links, most of which reveal enough information for me to steer clear of these lenses. In case you're not sure how to do a search, click here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/s...s=1&q=Titanium

You already have a fantasic camera. It might not be the Roles Royce or Bentley of the camera world but it sure is a Lexus with a Mercedes lens :-). I'd strongly suggest that you not buy a Yugo as an accessory.

Dick
rschofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:07 AM   #5

Dick,

Your comments have been very helpful in directing me towards valuable routes for researching my questions. Thanks for taking your time to attach the links and explaining things to me. Look forward to reading your comments on the forum and communicating with you from time to time.

Jeff aka Pdaddy
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:16 PM   #6

Has anyone tried the wide angle lens for the FZ20 as listed under the accessories on the Panasonic FZ20 web site? It`s listed for about $350 (YIKES!) and the model number is DMW-LW10. Panasonic lists it, but does not provide any specifications with it on the web site! I would like to be able to shoot at the 24~28mm range, but I still want the long focal length that the FZ20 provides.

Also, can anyone recomend a good flash. I am planning on buying a FZ20 at the begining of the new year and will be using it in a lot of low light situations. I understand that the built in flash is really good, but a lot of flash usage will quickly drain the battery. I would just as soon mount a flash on the hot shoe and use it. I do still have a Vivatar 285 flash unit from my 35mm gear but I understand that it has a high trigger voltage and that itmight possibly damage the FZ20 circuitry.

Oh yeah, the FZ will be my first digital after many, manyyears of 35mm.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 7:54 PM   #7

PTB Stalker, Welcome to the forum:-)

First, you are gonna love your FZ20.
I have used both 35mm SLR's and digital camera for 30+years and the panasonics (all the FZ's) are a terrifice blend of quality, function and price. As for the flash, I purchased the SunPak 383 external flash. It has a duel swivel head. That means it not only tilts up and down but side to side as well. So far it seems to be a very good match for the FZ20. And you can get them for well under $100.
I hope that helps.
smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:39 PM   #8

Thanks Smac!

I was just over at another part of this fantabulous website in regards to the flash question and found some valuable info. The Sunpak 383 has a trigger voltage of about 8.5 volts while the Vivitar 285HVtrigger voltage is 12 volts. I left a question over at the flash section inquiring about the max trigger voltage rating of the FZ20. If I have to spend an extra $100, I will. I just don`t wanna fry the "20".

Anyhow, like asked in the posting above, I wanna have the ability to go a little bit wider with the "20", if I can.
PTB Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote