Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 21, 2004, 9:28 PM   #1
kaw

when using a 35mm camera with lenses up to12x equiv. zoom, we had no problem with blur or shake when not using a tripod.

my question is, should we be ok using digital cams without IR?

thanks in advance!

kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:19 PM   #2

I'm not sure I understand your question, and with all due respect, don't agree with your first statement. Can you clarify?
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:33 AM   #3

So... you mean that you had a 35mm camera with a 432mm lens? What I learned on this forum was the way to figure out if you can hand hold a lens is you have to shoot at 1/mm of lens. So, you would have to shoot at 1/500 hand held in order to get a sharp picture without image stabilization.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:36 AM   #4
kaw

clarification: i didnt have any issues with picture quality when not using a tripod with my 35mm camera and zoom lenses.

so the question is, how important will the IS be on a digital if shooting in similar situations.

kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5

I have a canon pro 1 as well as my new fz 20 and i would kill for IS on the pro 1

not to say i have not pulled off some nice shots with it but !! I have to work at it

tooo hard and thats no fun.I do not have the rock steady hands like some do.

thats why i love my new fz 20 its ez and fun to get a good sharp pic.and you have

to remember with middle of the road (price wise) digital cameras there is very

defined noise at higher ISO forcing you to use slooower shutter speeds andthat

can result in not so sharpphotos..and if light is not so good forcing you to use

smaller aperture values.I find my photos look more pleasing around the 5 ish

aperture value and give me all the shutter speed i can get..But that just my opinion.

Willow

btw... if you want to go digging around in the( POST YOUR PHOTOS)

there are some of myexamples of thebenefit's of having IS...

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6

Camera shake is relative to your shutter speed. If you're using a higher speed film outdoors, for example, you can set the ss much faster and avoid shake. Likewise, I have an add-on flash for my fz... For some reason, the flash seems to work fine on digitals and synch is less of a concern... so I can use the flash, I find, I can shoot at a 1/300 second shutter speed and not get blur caused by shake with or without IS. While most think of IS as "buying you a few stops", I think of it in terms of allowing you to use a slower shutter speed than you ordinarily could have without getting blur from camera shake. IS, therefore, allows you to shoot hand-held - say in room light, without a flash where you shutter speed might be 1/30 without blur.

Your experience with 35mm doesn't really synch up with mine using zoom (or even prime) sometimes. Not that I doubt you, so much depends on the speed of the film and conditions... but it boils down to shutter speed. The slower the shutter speed is, and the farther you zoom out, blur caused by camera shake will most definitely occur.

I can zoom 12X across the room with my FZ, hand held - and in room light, get a sharp enough picture to read the ingredients on the back of a cereal box. Trust me, I couldn't get that shot with me 35mm using a telephoto without a tripod.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:55 AM   #7

35mm camera and zoom lenses and high end DSLR'sis like comparing oranges to apples in the digital world...see what you have in a $500.00.. 5 mega pixel camera is a little bitty sensor that the camera manufacturers have been feeding us all along cant deliver the flexibility that a DSLR canand for the most part even a 35 mm camera.so you have to set back and say yippie when they give us ANY edge on pic quality and the IS is one of them benifits..if you do not feel like you need it then don't go for it but remember what i said the camera makers know just how to get in the human phycie by feeding us just enough flexibility in the cheaper camera to trick us into springing for a bigger and better one..its elementary my friend...

I love my fz 20

Willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote