Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:14 PM   #21

While I did try to move many of the posts back to the original forums, some were not labeled well enough to figure out where they belonged. I did not intend to disrupt your community here, but that is water under the bridge & no more will be moved.

While it's good that everyone is proud of their work & want to share them with like minded people...I would think that posting them in the "Post Your Photos" forum with camera details would be preferred (if only because of the greater number of viewers).
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:38 PM   #22

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
While it's good that everyone is proud of their work & want to share them with like minded people...I would think that posting them in the "Post Your Photos" forum with camera details would be preferred (if only because of the greater number of viewers).
Right... and so if someone wants to post links to their photos in a couple places, here or somewhere else, unless if violates some rule, it shouldn't be up to the moderator to make that assumption. Better to copy them to other places rather than move them, I would think.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:55 PM   #23

Ok, well I'll post here what I posted in the other thread on this.

------------------------------------------

I can see both sides to this. The benefit if someone asks a question and a photo is posted here to show exactly whats on topic, it worked well. Problem time. I actually suggested this awhile ago in a post.

The world does not run on broadband, no matter what most here might think. There were many post I wanted to view but couldn't. Just far too many photos in the post for a dial up to open. Many times I wanted to comment but felt I had to wait for ALL the posts to load to see if it had already been mentioned.

Ok, that was problem number one. Number two. Someone posts a shot of a fly, bee, cat, bird, sunset or what the heck ever and for some unknown reason, others had to start posting shots in the same thread of their sunset, bee, cat, dog or what ever.

Now how on earth that relates to Panasonic cameras I have no idea. They could have been taken by any camera. Thatswhat the image posting galleries are there for. For me thats very simple to understand.

I didn't really mind too much, but if there was a specific question asked, especially about macro, no way could I answer it half the time.

So what was the intention do you really think that the Panasonic forum was here for. To help with questions right and news about Panasonic. If a photo was posted to explain some question that was asked or was about a new product eg: panasonic lenses, flash units, etc, then I'm sure Steve would never had worried about it.

IMO, you have done it to yourselves by taking it too far. Fair enough, other forums allow this to happen and I even post shots in either a Sony or Panasonic forum that is not really meant to have photos in. Yes I'm guilty. The difference is, is that 10 other people come along and DON'T add a shot of the cat and dog in the same thread as the original poster. If they do, its done as another thread and we don't have to open it up.

Whew, I don't like long comments, sorry , but thats how I see it and I think Steve is correct considering the way it worked. Now if you don't want advice from dial ups, because they can't open a thread that takes 5-8 Min's to load, then the way you were going was just fine.

All the best and just my 2 cents with.

Danny. (Not on cable)

nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:11 PM   #24

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Now how on earth that relates to Panasonic cameras I have no idea. They could have been taken by any camera. Thatswhat the image posting galleries are there for. For me thats very simple to understand.
You can rest assure that all the pics posted in this forum are from Panasonic Cameras. And I am sorry that you choose not to have high speed access, when I'ts only a few bucks more than Dial Up.

The point is... These pics do help... We can compare model to model, or setting to setting from the same model.

I admit that there are some joke pics, but thats part of the fun of this forum. As I stated in my previous post... Many of us have families and work every day. And we still find time to come in here and help other people.

However... We would have far less time to do so if we had to go to 50 different threads and try to sort out the panasonics from the rest before we could even help some one out.

And Steve did not do this... Kalypso did it...

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:20 PM   #25

Where do you live Bob, where do I live Bob. How do you know about the cost of DSL or cable in New Zealand ??. I also know a few in the states that cannot get cable in thier area. Heck mate, its a big world outside.

Now if you posted 5 shots in a row in a thread on OLP Bob, what do think would happen ??? I was a modertor on there in the macro gallery before Linda and I can tell you what would happen. :-)I was a moderator on NPN and I can tell you what would happen. I now have my own forum and I can tell what would happen. Its about being fair to all Bob, not just cable or broadband users.

Anyway, if you don't want dial ups to look Bob, thats just fine mate :roll:

Danny.

Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:29 PM   #26

bobc wrote:
Quote:
And I am sorry that you choose not to have high speed access, when I'ts only a few bucks more than Dial Up.
Bobc you dont live in New Zealand so dont comment about broadband prices. I grew up in NZ before moving to Australia a year ago and so I know that nzmacro has a point.
Broadband in NZ is rather expensive and its not a few bucks more, we dont have the population density to make broadband cost effective (also have a telecommunications company with a monopoly).
I think what we need to do is make sure we keep our photos as small as possible ie 640 x 480. This will help our less fortunate dial-up users.
I know some people in a certain country think they are the very important but there are others in the world.
Sorry to get all anti Bobc but I love NZ and like to defend it.
Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:33 PM   #27

LOL, yes "Telecom" ha.

Its not only here, what about India, south america, many from the UK can't afford it. Russia, Poland, West Germany, etc, etc, HeckI wish I could afford it :-)There is life outside the USA :-)

Danny.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:43 PM   #28

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
Where do you live Bob, where do I live Bob. How do you know about the cost of DSL or cable in New Zealand ??. I also know a few in the states that cannot get cable in thier area. Heck mate, its a big world outside.

Now if you posted 5 shots in a row in a thread on OLP Bob, what do think would happen ??? I was a modertor on there in the macro gallery before Linda and I can tell you what would happen. :-)I was a moderator on NPN and I can tell you what would happen. I now have my own forum and I can tell what would happen. Its about being fair to all Bob, not just cable or broadband users.

Anyway, if you don't want dial ups to look Bob, thats just fine mate :roll:

Danny.
I was not thinking of people from other countries or places that did not have broad band, and that was very stupid of me... Thank you for that harsh reminder, and I humbly appologise for that.

I now see how that can be a problem with dial up from a hardware perspective, but not from a development perspective.

I agree with you point about dial up users, and if it where a site that I had a hand in, I would solve that problem by displaying thumbnails as links that would open the picture in a seperate window. This would allow the freedom to post pics at will without an inconvinience to dial up users.

It would be a little programming but would work very well.

Again... Please accept my oppology, and thank you for reminding me that there is a rest of the world...

Sincerely,

bobc
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:43 PM   #29

Hey Bobc do you belong to a certain 51% majority?
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 7:44 PM   #30

Treemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bobc do you belong to a certain 51% majority?
Please note my humble appology above...

Thanks...

bobc