Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:55 AM   #1

fz20 vx. a Niken d70 or a Canon 10d.

Use is loonngg range birding. Most shots taken at max zoom.

I think we would all agree that the dslr with the high end expensive lenses will surpass the fz20 in pic detail in these circumstances.

What I am wrestling with is the question of how would the results be with the middle of the road lenses. Can't even come close to affording one of the top grade long telephoto or fixed lenses.

So when we come back down to the average quality lensesdoes the difference in photo quality/detail get much closer between the fz20 and the dslr.
zoomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:54 AM   #2

Plus, there's the big advantage of not having to swap lenses all the time... a big (huge, imo) advantage over the dslrs. The moon? Yeah, that'll wait. That cool looking bird that just took a rest on you fence? Don't it's going to wait for you to switch lenses and set up your tripod (since you don't have IS)...
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:13 PM   #3

And besides that at age 75 you'll have to get back surgery for straining your back with so much weight from those heavy and bulky lenses and camera. Nothing like the tiny fz1, its even better than the fz10.
juanmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:17 PM   #4

like i told KAW

35mm camera and zoom lenses and high end DSLR'sis like comparing oranges to apples in themiddle of the roaddigital world...see what you have in a $500.00.. 5 mega pixel camera is a little bitty sensor that the camera manufacturers have been feeding us all along cant deliver the flexibility that a DSLR canand for the most part even a 35 mm camera.so you have to set back and say yippie when they give us ANY edge on pic quality and the IS is one of them benifits..if you do not feel like you need it then don't go for it but remember what i said the camera makers know just how to get in the human phycie by feeding us just enough flexibility in the cheaper camera to trick us into springing for a bigger and better one..its elementary my friend..

not to take any thing away from the fz's have a look at this link thats no fz or pro 1 you are talking high end camera..my point is like stated in this post the manufacturers have the technology to beef up the fz 20 if they wanted too for a reasonable price.I guess it just eats at me too much

.http://ecdphoto.addr.com/wd/wd2.html

I love my fz 20

Willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:16 PM   #5

in terms of auto focusing speed, DSLRs knock out a DC easily... even with macro lenses DSLRs still easily knock out FZ10/20 AF. The OVF has no video lag, and shutter release lag nearly does not exist. So when shooting an object that moves fast, DSLR wins for sure.

Just keep in mind you got what u've paid for. The 12x Lecia lens is not everything. Think of AF speed, ISO noise, response time, color dynamic range and flash metering etc etc, a FZ20 simply can't match a DSLR. Even with cheap 3rd party lenses a DSLR still produce a better quality picture in most circumstances. What FZ10/20 excels is the price vs performance factor. There is just no other DCs, even with those higher price range products, that can come close to FZ20.

just my 2 cents.....
akirabbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:20 PM   #6

akirabbq wrote:
Quote:
What FZ10/20 excels is the price vs performance factor.
Agree 100%. However, see what you said about a DSLR ($1500 with lens...for an entry-level model)? Same applies to a $200 film slr.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote