Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:21 PM   #11

The cameras ISO can be changed.

Not a single review I read said anything about having to manually change the ISO to take indoor photographs.

Being a novice changing ISO settings to get the best shot is not what I am able to do. How do I know if I need to set it for 50, 80, 100, 200, 400? On my film camera ISO 400 works for everything. The whole point of a P&S camera is to just point and shoot. Granted no camera is going to be able to figure out the scene and make the correct choice everytime. But the FX7 fails miserably as a point and shoot for indoor photos. (unless you are a expert photographer and can accurately judge for yourself the correct setting).
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:40 PM   #12

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:
The cameras ISO can be changed.

Being a novice changing ISO settings to get the best shot is not what I am able to do.
There's a difference between "being a novice" and being lazy or dumb. Sorry, I let my 9 year old borrow a digicam for her class trip, and she even figured out how to lower the iso settings on the camera. And that's the truth. For indoors without a flash, if 400 is too noisy, try 200. What else can I say? Spend 15 minutes - if that, and read the manual. Experiment a little (and I do mean a little) with the different iso's, find the one that works best and set it there.

I find your claim that the camera won't let you change the iso dubious... can't say for sure since I don't own the camera but, c'mon.

If you don't like the camera, return it. Your post and your beef about the camera is completely absurd. If it's even legit. Post your ludicrous beef somewhere else.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:46 PM   #13

Again the camera does allow ISO control, but no shutter or appeture controls.

Again I am attacked by people who dont want to hear the truth about this camera.

I am neither lazy nor dumb. I have a B.S. in Civil Engineering.

I want a camera that can point and shoot with not having to mess with it. This is what MOST people who buy point and shoots want. The fact that there are cameras that do not require user intervention to take a good shot indoors is proof enough that the FX7 is not a good camera for this purpose and other cameras should be looked at.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:23 PM   #14

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:
Again the camera does allow ISO control, but no shutter or appeture controls.
Then set the iso to a lower settings. The iso is driving the rest of the settings. f8=f8, iso 50=iso50, 1/30th ss = 1/30 ss are the same for all manufacturers. If you don't like the camera, return it. See, that's why there's at least seven or eight companies that all make cameras... different strokes for different folks. Some use more aggressive noise reduction at the expense of loss of detail. You tried the Lumix, you don't like it, so put it back in the box, take it back to the store, and get yourself something else.

Quote:
Again I am attacked by people who dont want to hear the truth about this camera.
You're being attacked because your post is asinine. And your argument is pointless
Quote:
I am neither lazy nor dumb. I have a B.S. in Civil Engineering.
Whoop-de-do! Bet my academic credentials are better than yours... nyah, nyah. :blah: I know perfect idiots who have advanced degrees from ivy league schools. In fact, one is the leader of the free world right now.

Quote:
I want a camera that can point and shoot with not having to mess with it.
So, stop drooling over some n'ked 20 year old tart, put down your magazine, mosey over to the camera store where you got your camera, and exchange it for something you like better. What's your point?

Quote:
This is what MOST people who buy point and shoots want.
You should speak for yourself... not all P&S owners, many of whom - I'm sure, are satisfied with this camera.
Quote:
The fact that there are cameras that do not require user intervention to take a good shot indoors is proof enough that the FX7 is not a good camera for this purpose and other cameras should be looked at.
Here's a couple sample user reviews from ZDNET for this camera:

User opinions for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7

"You will Love this Thing"
India Haslop on 20-Nov-2004 11:15:56 PM
Pros: Hard to take a bad photo Takes better pix than a $2000 digicam from 1999 Rarely need a flash indoors
Cons: Not for professional picky shooters Drawbacks are not as bad as reviews make them

"Great take anywhere camera!"
Travel Guy on 20-Oct-2004 09:55:55 AM
Pros: None
Cons: None

Obviously you don't speak for all owners, and if this camera is not for you, return it for a different one. What's your point? If it's "my experience must be the same as everyone else's and if I think is sucks, it must suck for everyone..." then you are one arrogant pathetic little man.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:11 PM   #15

Why all the insults? Can we not have an intellectual discussion about how the camera compares to others?

I thought I made my point. That simply being that if a person is looking for a point and shoot camera, that they want to use indoors, and dont want to fuss with settings, the FX7 is not the one for you. I am simply warning those people that might be looking for a camera to look elsewhere. Other cameras as you can plainly see from my comparison photos produce a much better image, with no fuss, and no post-processing required.

Reviews rarely take into account the performance of cameras under full auto, and I believe that they should. Clearly there are many other issues that are involved in the decision making process besides performance under full auto, i.e. size, speed, lcd, settings available, etc. These are fully covered by every review I have seen. I think that because reviewers are of the enthusiast crowd, they tend to forget about the amateur, who is purchasing the vast majority of these small point and shoot cameras. Most amateurs do not want to change settings, or post process images.

An I dumb and lazy because I dont wanting to have to change settings, no. That's like saying that a person who drives a automatic is dumb because he doesnt want to shift.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:50 PM   #16

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:

That simply being that if a person is looking for a point and shoot camera, that they want to use indoors, and dont want to fuss with settings, the FX7 is not the one for you. I am simply warning those people that might be looking for a camera to look elsewhere.
I understand your point lukester01 but what you have to understand is that digital cameras are a little different to film based cameras. All point and shoot cameras will begin to produce noise at ISO 400, but if in a particular light setting only ISO 400 is possible then getting a noisy pic is going to be better than getting a blurred pic because of a low shutter speed!
No camera is perfect and digital cameras have their limitations. I respect your point and it is good to share thoughts but make sure that you aren't complaining about the general limitations of most digital cameras.
Treemonkey
Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:01 PM   #17

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:
I thought I made my point. That simply being that if a person is looking for a point and shoot camera, that they want to use indoors, and dont want to fuss with settings, the FX7 is not the one for you. I am simply warning those people that might be looking for a camera to look elsewhere.
If you're unwilling to set the iso, and your camera lets you do this, you're hopeless and your expectations are unrealistic for the camera. In the time it has taken you to post here and elsewhere, you could have simply set the iso to 200. It's still "automatic" since the camera is figuring out the correct shutter speed and aperture. If the Canon did this, and didn't let me make the decision between noise and blur, I wouldn't want the camera... And yes, a camera that allows the user the flexibility to select the iso is still very much a point and shoot.

But for God sakes, just set the iso correctly. It takes two seconds. Everything else will be set by the camera. If you're unwilling to do this, your being flat out ridiculous, and your opinion is nothing short of silly.

Really, what your criticism is, is that you don't like how the camera's firmware decides to set itself in low-light situation, as it sets the iso to 400 and produces a noisy image.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:14 PM   #18

is this camera edible?
Rezajune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 5:16 PM   #19

Rezajune... you hit it on the head. That's my beef with this panasonic model. It is not edible. It has nothing to do with its auto iso setting in low light.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 6:10 PM   #20

"Really, what your criticism is, is that you don't like how the camera's firmware decides to set itself in low-light situation, as it sets the iso to 400 and produces a noisy image."

That is EXACTLY what I am saying. And I also agree it is definately a balancing act that camera manufactures do when deciding how to program it for auto mode. It is information like this that I wish reviewers would add to their reviews. This way the purchaser could make a more informed decision about whether the camera is going to meet their needs.