Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:32 PM   #31

If you look at Steve's sample photos for the FX7 you will see that it took the flash shot at ISO80 – as well as all of the other shots except the demo of the stabilization at ISO400. The singular advantage of that camera is that you can shoot at ISO80 in many more lighting situations with the stabilization. You can also handhold the camera in low light at higher ISO where you would have to use flash or just not get the shot if the subject is out of flash range with other cameras.

The FX7 was on my short list of small cameras because of the stabilization. The lack of a high quality movie mode, manual exposure and optical finder made me decide to not buy it, but I would love to have a pocket camera with stabilization. Stabilization is a marvelous addition for a pocket camera for those who take the time to learn its capabilities. Your dogged determination to never mess with settings obviates most of that advantage. I agree with the others that you would probably do better to exchange the camera for a pure point and shoot.

If you keep it just set the ISO 100 and forget it. Most of us would crank that up when we need available light capability or more flash range, but you will probably do well at that setting without having to mess with it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:17 PM   #32

I wonder if it is smart enough to detect camera shake in low light and set itself to ISO 400 so it can use a faster shutter speed to get a clear shot.

hmmmmmmmmm.

And I wonder if a tripod was used if it would use a lower ISO and slower shutter speed because it did not detect camera shake.

It would at least be something worth testing.

And what about using the flash in low light? does it set itself to ISO 400 with the flash on?

These are the kinds of things I would test for before trashing a perfectly good camera.

bobc

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:45 AM   #33

This is starting to change, but for the longest time, Digital Cameras were always reviewed as if you were always going to use it outside.

The reason the cameras have ISO settings and White Balance settings is that while some cameras may handle it better than others, over all, most digital cameras at the consumer level don't really handle indoors half as well as they handle outdoors. I know people like automatic, but sometimes, you still need to move your car to 2nd or 4th gear, or reverse. What else can I say?

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:13 PM   #34

Quote:
I wonder if it is smart enough to detect camera shake in low light and set itself to ISO 400 so it can use a faster shutter speed to get a clear shot.

hmmmmmmmmm.

And I wonder if a tripod was used if it would use a lower ISO and slower shutter speed because it did not detect camera shake.
Projecting from my FZ10 is isn't that smart. It uses the same program regardless of whether the stabilization is even activated. And it doesn't sense camera movement and adjust based on whether it is stable or not.

Quote:
And what about using the flash in low light? does it set itself to ISO 400 with the flash on?
lukkester01 says it does – seems to be his main complaint. I have suspected some cameras of using a higher ISO for auto-flash so they can advertise a larger flash range. The honest ones give the flash range at ISO100, which is where most people set the camera for flash unless the flash is really weak.

I can see where a site with point and shoot tests at default settings might be handy for someone like lukkester01 who wants to take the camera out of the box and just shoot without learning anything about it. There are probably quite a few people who don't want to mess with settings at all. Most of the people who post here wouldn't go near the site, which is probably why he isn't getting the sympathy he expects.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:13 PM   #35

Somebody here forgot something, eh, important in the first place:

Try to use the FX7 on full automatic in COMPLETE DARKNESS and see whether it switches to ISO 400 or not.

I bet what you would say in the end is gonna be like "Dang! This is one stupid camera, why WOULDN'T it ever use ISO400!? Am I supposed to set it manually?! I'd better return it since I want something smarter on full automatic!'".

It is obvious, either you use the flash and have a shoot at ISO 100, else it gives you total darkness at ISO 200. Hands down. Got that people? It's so hard to force it to use ISO400, you wanna bang the stupid camera's head against the wall.

Either this is a deliberate attempt to dump the camera (I, eh, really don't think so), else luke's camera is somehow 'brainwashed' (in the factory?), so it behaves, eh, a little awkward. - plenty of light in your 'test' image, luke.

Need proof? I wonder if somebody is willing to host my 'test'.

small print: As we own other cameras as well (OptioX, EX Z55, DSC V1, W1, DSP92, F707, DMC FZ1...), I'd say the FX7 is indeed noisier than several other compact cameras (not ultra compact), tiny CCD. Image stablizer is all so not as effective as on super zoom cameras, sometimes behaves strangely and gives you awkward results (hence not fool-proof as sb pointed out), but it does work. End of the day, excelent camera but certainly not "the Holy Grail".

(BTW I just notice this is my first post, LOL!)
HoneyBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:33 PM   #36

I hope to soon hear back from Panasonic about the issue of the camera choosing ISO 400 for indoor flash on full auto. They requested the sample photos, so are looking at the same issue I brought here.

The photos were taken midday with lots of ambient light through the windows. No lights where on in the room. The photos, though with flash, pretty much accurately reflect what the scene looked like to the naked eye.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:09 PM   #37

"It's a kind of magic" - what you did, luke.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:14 PM   #38

Maybe the recent review of the FX7 posted by Megapixel.net could clarify some issues about the image quality, though a bit noisyeven at Iso 80.

The FX7 is a great camera and is capable of taking awesome shots....but the camera wont work by itself.....if the user is lazy or so dumb to change thesettings in order to get the best of the camera.....I thinkhe(she) shouldnt spend around $450- maybe it would be better to start with a $100 camera. :idea:

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:21 PM   #39

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
Maybe the recent review of the FX7 posted by Megapixel.net could clarify some issues about the image quality, though a bit noisy even at Iso 80.

The FX7 is a great camera and is capable of taking awesome shots....but the camera wont work by itself.....if the user is lazy or so dumb to change the settings in order to get the best of the camera.....I think he(she) shouldnt spend around $450 - maybe it would be better to start with a $100 camera. :idea:
Excuse me? I just pointed out that you don't even have to fiddle with the settings. The FX7 simply never switches itself to ISO400 ,unless you did it on your own (Oh, I mean, MY FX7). Since I have a 1GB Ultra II and am used to taking buckets of shots whenever I buy a new camera, I've taken at least around 1000 shots with this camera and I've never everhad such an issue (ISO400 on full automatic).

BTW, as I've said, the FX7 however is indeed noisier than other (,not very compact) cameras, for my low light shots, I use the V1 (has ISO 800).
Old Nov 24, 2004, 2:29 PM   #40

HoneyBun wrote:
Quote:
Excuse me? I just pointed out that you don't even have to fiddle with the settings. The FX7 simply never switches itself to ISO400 ,unless you did it on your own (Oh, I mean, MY FX7). Since I have a 1GB Ultra II and am used to taking buckets of shots whenever I buy a new camera, I've taken at least around 1000 shots with this camera and I've never ever since such an issue (ISO400 on full automatic).

BTW, as I've said, the FX7 however is indeed noisier than other (,not very compact) cameras, for my low light shots, I use the V1 (has ISO 800).

Excuse me? I know what you pointed out...........so, I do not talk about you. :-)

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote