Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1

I got a FX7 after doing much research trying to find a replacement for my Canon S400. I have always been happy with its pictures but it has lost a gear in the lense, and I was hoping for something faster, with a bigger LCD. It seemed the FX7 was the perfect replacement. I was wrong.

Here are some sample pics taken side by side with the Canon pics both cameras on full auto.

http://home.comcast.net/~lukester

As you can see the FX7 takes terrible indoor photos. It clearly chose the wrong ISO and the images cant even compete with a camera that costs $200 less. The movie mode is also completely useless indoors. The large LCD is also a big disappointment as it has so few pixels you cant even check to see if an image is blurred or not in camera.

I have been misled many times now by good reviews only to find that the cameras are complete failures when it comes to indoor photography (point and shoot).
In the future I strongly encourage reviewers to do some side by side comparisons of photos from cameras in the same class, on FULL AUTO, in some challenging conditions. Lets see if the cameras are 'smart' enough to take a good point and shoot shot under different and challenging conditions, i.e. low light, inside kids running, outside on the swings, outside with dark areas and light areas in the same photo, inside with a bright window in the background.
lukester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:32 PM   #2

sorry the link is:

http://home.comcast.net/~lukester01
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:55 PM   #3

You started the same thread on the Dpreview forum.......Is itnecessary to continue with this issue??, I guess that thread was long enoughto drawa conclusion.

The Auto Mode on the FX7 set Iso 400 for indoor shots, which as you know, produces very high noise levels......so if the camera by itself is not enoguh smart to take good and decent shots, I think you "should be", and set lower Isos not higher than 100 and also lower shutter speeds in order to expose the sensor more time to the available light......and Im sure you are gonna get better results.

:?:?:?

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:57 PM   #4

Just checked the pics.. and ouch the FZ7 leaves a lot to be desired esp if that is the defualt point and shoot settings produce those kinds of shots. Have you tried changing any of the default settings? If you have and its giving teh same kind of results I'd give the FZ7 back and ask for a refund.

I haven't seen the FZ7 here in the UK, but I had a quick look at the FZ3 the other day and was suprised how small it is esp compared to my FZ10. I think the FZ3 may be a better purchase.

:?:O|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:18 PM   #5

pics look ok but noisy if you are stuck with the camera try using neat image that will help a lot...

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:25 PM   #6

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
You started the same thread on the Dpreview forum...The Auto Mode on the FX7 set Iso 400 for indoor shots, which as you know, produces very high noise levels......
:?:?:?
I am not familiar with this camera but if it sets the iso at 400 in auto mode, as stated above, then that's the issue right there. Lower the ISO!
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:26 PM   #7

Just trying to reach as many people as possible looking to puchase this camera as a point and shoot. I wish someone had warned me.

Fortunately the really long and heated threat did come to a few conclusions.

Enthusiast's dont seem to care about a P&S cameras auto abilities, because they know what settings to use when, and dont mind taking the time to chose those settings.

Novice's like myself and most people who purchase point and shoots , who dont mess with settings at all(as evidenced by the manufacturers stripping them of many settings), want a camera that takes great shots on full auto.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:09 PM   #8

There's got to be a way to lower the iso from 400. And frankly, if there isn't, you do have a point.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:10 PM   #9

lukester01 wrote:
Quote:
Just trying to reach as many people as possible looking to puchase this camera as a point and shoot. I wish someone had warned me.

Fortunately the really long and heated threat did come to a few conclusions.

Enthusiast's dont seem to care about a P&S cameras auto abilities, because they know what settings to use when, and dont mind taking the time to chose those settings.

Novice's like myself and most people who purchase point and shoots , who dont mess with settings at all(as evidenced by the manufacturers stripping them of many settings), want a camera that takes great shots on full auto.
It does not make sense.....if you dont like the camera....sent it back and buy the Canon.......many people advised you about how to use properly the FX7...but it seems┬*you┬*never┬*listened to them.

Set lower Isos is┬*extremely simple and you┬*need to do it just once - no more -┬*settings are so easy of use.

┬*
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:20 PM   #10

and if u dont want to lower the ios then HIT wif a lil neat image

thata getter done!!!!!

JUST KIDDING....press a button or 2 and lower the ios its a must

WILLOW
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote