Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:34 PM   #1

Hi,
Ive heard that the FZ10 can tend to over/under (cant remember) photos by ~1/2 EV (cant remember exact figure) when using 'P' mode. Im no pro and would like some opinions on a couple of my photos in terms of if they are over/under exposed. I think they are ok and never manually adjust the exposure level.
Thanks in advance.
Treemonkey
Attached Images

Treemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2004, 9:34 PM   #2

2nd one
Attached Images

Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:09 PM   #3

Hi treemonkey

i just got my fz 20 a week ago i found that the p mode at times will over expose. I like to under expose a little then brighten them up a little paint shop pro 9has a very good fill flash option.once you blow out the detail its gone for good in my opinion......

look at the petails on this lil guy its way over exposed i didnt worry about it the buds is what i was focusing on in this shot..no way can you turn that around...

Willow

Attached Images

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4

Treemonkey,

I'm no pro either so I am going to just make observations not suggestions.
I have found that when I am shooting in P mode (about 90% of the time) That I can get tremendous variation in the exposure depending on where the spot meter is. In your first picture (which by the way looks pretty well exposed except for the center white flower) you have alot of range of color. From very light to fairly dark . I think that you'd find that your exposure through the view finder would jump all over the place depending on where the camera was metering the light. If you do have spot metering on then maybe try the multiple mode to spread the exposure metering over the whole scene.

The second picture does look a little washed out but there seems to be quiet a bit of haze in the picture. So, that is going to make a perfect exposure very difficult. The light tends to get scattered quiet a bit from the haze and the atomosphere is much opaque. Probably filtering the light either on the camera or in Photoshop would make the exposure look more natural.

As I said I'm not an expert either. Those are just some observations I have made over time.

The more you shoot the better you get.

smac
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:20 PM   #5

Hi treemonkey

The FZ10 tends to overexpose shots but not always....as you can say on your shots.
IMO the first is Ok, but the second one is a bit overexpose, I guess it is because of the sun light, maybe it could be fixed with a UV filter or with a bit of post-processsing.

:?
fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:34 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I have a UV filter (for lens protection) but would a haze filter help reduce that washed out look in the second photo?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:50 PM   #7

I got a UV Hase filter for about 25 bucks.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:19 PM   #8

Can someone post a photo with and without a haze filter so I can see the effect. I am a poor student so I need to make sure something is really worth while before buying it.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:39 PM   #9

I think what needs to be understood is light meters in cameras, in general. They always expose to middle grey (aka 18% reflectance or Zone 5 if you are using the zone system). One way to check is to buy a grey card, put that in front of your subject and meter on that, then shoot your subject using the same meter readings. All light meters should work the same. You have to remember if you point your camera at a white wall, the camera says, "Ok, lets make it middle grey" (It doesn't actually talk). And your picture of a white wall will come out grey. Same goes with a black wall/object, will come out middle grey. So that is why you will get way different results, it depends on what you are shooting.

A little trick that I learned from a photo student is by using your hand as a grey card. The palm of your hand is dead on at zone 6 (one stop brighter than zone 5). So you meter on your hand (like you would the grey card), get your meter reading but now you have to open up one stop (letting one more stop of light into the camera). It works perfectly. I honestly was never good at all of that statistic stuff, so I just eye ball it. If I am taking a close up of a person (Caucassian) then I go +1 ev (equivalent of opening up one stop). If I am taking a close up of a dark skinned person, I go down btw 1 and two stops. I just zoom in on the face sometimes to get a reading then zoom back out.

So, having said that, let's say that we get a grey card and meter using that, will our camera be right on? I don't know b/c I haven't tried. But I do agree with willow1, it is better to be underexposed (kinda reminds me of slide film) a bit than over. Hope this info helps.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote