Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:07 AM   #1

Here is a link for a FREE photoshop plug-in for a jpeg2000 converter. It will enable you to save/read your files in this format. It also allows full functionality if you choose to work in PS in this format. It is an excellent, well-written plug in:

About Page: http://www.leadtools.com/Utilities/P...op_plug-in.htm

Download Page: http://www.leadtools.com/survey/cmppsplugn.asp

Note about download...

1. You must fill in your e-mail address to be directed to the download page. You won't be spammed or anything. Once you do it will direct you to the download site.

2. You can not install the plug-in (see 1) until you receive an e-mail from LEAD. It will contain a serial number.

3. Although this looks like a trial, it isn't. It is the complete, fully functional version of the coversion plug-in.

For those of you who are not aware of it, the JPEG standard has been updated (for some time now) to JPEG 2000. The main advatange that I see, is that it is a "lossless" format, like RAW or Tiff without the file size. Note - I don't think that many browsers support it, so this is for print and archival only. JPEG is a "lossy" format. It loses a smidgen of its resolution (not in terms of pixels) each time you open/save a file. JPEG 2000 is a 24bit lossless format. I think it's excellent but for whatever reason, has been slow to catch on.

Here's a bit more about jpeg2000 from the Lead technologies site:

JPEG2000 provides high compression with image quality superior to all existing standard encoding techniques. This high compression and quality performance is due to the adaptation of wavelet transforms. Wavelet transforms are mathematical formulas that represent complex structures in the image, thereby compressing an extremely large amount of image data into a relatively small amount of compressed data. This compression technique allows applications to save compressed images with higher compression ratios and better image quality as compared to any other software currently in production.

The LEAD JPEG2000 (J2K and JP2) file format filter plug-ins allows you to load and save (8 bit grayscale and 24 bit color) images in the JPEG2000 file format from within Adobe PhotoShop or Jasc PaintShop Pro. The quality of JPEG2000 compression over the existing JPEG is unbelievable! Now you can preserve image quality while extremely decreasing the size of your images quickly and easily.

NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:03 AM   #2

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
The quality of JPEG2000 compression over the existing JPEG is unbelievable! Now you can preserve image quality while extremely decreasing the size of your images quickly and easily.
Some questions, Nick: Are you saying that a resized (say 640x480) image will havemore detail if it has been converted to jpg2000 before resizing? How much larger is the file size? If the original file is at standard high jpg compression (2bps), how can converting to jpg2000 undo that compression? WillI get "better" prints by converting? I can convert to tiff already with but unless I am doing some rather drastic post-processing, what is the advantage?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:39 AM   #3

Fred,

I don't believe that it's "ever" the case that a photo will have "more" detail than the original if it's saved in any different compression scheme. What This says is, and I have yet to try it my self, is that if you save a larger file and (re)compress it to X level, using jpeg 2000 will preserve more detail than using (regular) jpeg for image files of the same size and compression level, since it uses a different, more efficient compression technology (wavelets) than jpeg. There's an example on the site.

So, if you open a file and save it as a jpeg2000, you can compress it more while maintaining quality. I like it mostly because it's a lossless format, and the files aren't as large as tiff files.

Bottom line - it's lossless jpeg that allows higher compression than (old) jpeg without loss of quality. It sounds a bit like the proprietary .stn format genuine fractals uses, in that more image data is stored as algorythms.

Nick
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:14 PM   #4

hey yall...

i think what he might be asking or thinking is that if he saves as jpeg2000 thequality will get better ...not the case...

what nick is saying is that if you shoot in tiff (15meg) format then convert and saveto jpeg2000 (3 meg) youare saving tons of room on your hard drive or where ever,with out lossing anyquality in the photo...

the advantage of saving to jpeg2000 is file size and to be able to open then edit then save over and over again with out any quality loss...

(irfanview) has it....jp2 (jpg2000)

and for cropping i use (jpegcrop) a lossless croping tool...

i was just estamating the 15meg and the 3meg...

it is a good format i have used it for a while...

willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:22 PM   #5

thas incredible !

put me down fer one of them there things hehe

great post Nick cheers

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:14 PM   #6

Yo Jade...what's nice about it, if you're a PS user, is that it works seamlessly with PS. If just gives you the option to "save as" jpeg2000 under the save as dialog box. That and the ability to read them into PS.

It's tiff - basically, without the file size.

N
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:49 PM   #7
Fox

If this format has been around a while, why don't the camera manufactures (like Panasonic) use it in their camera's? Seem like the perfect solution, TIFF without the size....
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:58 AM   #8

Any Idea why I can save the file as J2K but I can not preview it in windows.

No thumbnail and no preview in picture and fax viewer

Not much good to me with no thumbnail.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:30 AM   #9

Thanks for the head up. :bye:
jer1ivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:36 AM   #10

like nick stated...

I don't think that many browsers support it, so this is for print and archival only.

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote