Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:29 AM   #1

This is just a thought I had as a courtesy to those who use dial-up service. When posting photos here, perhaps we can use the second subject line under the main thread heading, as I've done on this thread, to indicate the number of photos and their size. Just a thought...

Below are some more infrareds I took recently with my FZ-1. Thanks for giving them a look.

Warm regards, all

Nick

Dreamgirl

Moonlight Flowers

Scarecrow II
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:04 AM   #2

Great. I especially like the fist one (the one with the girl). I also agree with your suggestion, though I'm
hanging on an ADSL -connection.

-sp
seppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:39 AM   #3

I also like your shots, but specially the third....the first one seems a scarygirl rather than a dreamgirl.....maybe it's beacuse of her face expression, it would be better if she would have smiled for the camera, IMO.

I share your suggestion of indicated the file size.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:52 AM   #4

fz10_user wrote:
Quote:
the first one seems a scarygirl rather than a dreamgirl....
It was intended to have a little surreal, ghost-like (scary) quality, like a little girl in a dream. Thanks for taking a look - both of you.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:48 AM   #5
Fox

Hey Nick, As always, nice IR shots! I've got to get one of those filters
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:16 PM   #6

Thanks Paul! Whatchya waitn' fer? They're not too bad, expect to pay around $40 delivered w/ship:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...ers&Startat=21
I'm gonna put up an IR gallery on the web, so getchyerself a filter and join the (soon to be) club.

Was gunna go out and shoot today but the weather isn't cooperating... need lots o' light for these to turn out right...
Old Nov 23, 2004, 12:18 PM   #7

Hey Nick

I really like the scarecrow shot.. just kind of stands out !

:|:blah:

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:31 PM   #8

No problem at all Nick, in fact thats a darn good idea. Nice shots BTW. Took me about 35 seconds to fully open. No problem with this.

The problem does come in, when some one else thinks "Oh hey, I've got IR shots, I'll post 3 more here" Doh !!! :-)

So if people could just leave threads as they are, then all is fine.If its related to a question, then yes by all means add one photo to help explain something. The key word there is ONE not half a dozen, LOL. Its not that we are impatient, its that we just can't open them up.

I'll bore you for a minute and explain something if I can. If we take the major nature only sites for example, the restrictions go like this. "Nature Photographers Net", 1 shot posted only every 48 hr's, must only be 640 pixels on the longest side and a max 150 kb."Naturescapes" Only 1 image every 24 hr's, must be only 650 pixels on the longest side, max 150 kb. "Photomigrations" are the same.

Now this servesseveral reasons. First there is no need to scroll an image left to right as I had to with your shots. Why, because many people use laptops and many have smaller monitors. Many are on dial up, including pro's because ofwhere they liveand it saves bandwidth, because that don't rely on advertising to subsidise the site. Now this is the kicker. If only 1 image in a gallery every 24 hrs or 48 hr's, do you know what we get to see, only the BEST work available. Real simple. People pick very carefully huh.

Ok, now some will say, thats crazy. Maybe, but NPN is the largest and mostly widely used nature only site on the net. The figures prove that from Alexa. Now those 3 sites NPN, NSN and PM have many pro nature shooters and yet they have those restrictions. They spend more on the lens than we do on a car, quite simple. Many people won't like those restrictions, I already know that. Thats their choice if theydon't want to see only the best nature work available. IMHO of course.

Our forum works exactly the same. The same reasons as above there. No way could I afford the bandwidth that goes out the door like at Steve's here or at dpreview. it does cost and it does cost allot for a site this size to run all these images in bandwidth and storing them.

Whew, ok more typing than I like and you can wakeup now :-)Nobody has to like it but thats how many forums have to run.

All the best and if you got this far, go get another cup of coffee, you deserve it. As you have it in this thread Nick, it works fine IMO.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:22 PM   #9

nzmacro wrote:
Quote:
640 pixels on the longest side and a max 150 kb.*"Naturescapes" Only 1 image every 24 hr's, must be only 650 pixels on the longest side, max 150 kb.
I'll crop to these specs from now on. I can empathize, having only migrated to broadband from dial-up in June. The last time I posted a thread containing pics, I specified "for broadband only", since I posted 5. It's just a courtesy. Even with broadband - that knucklehead that who posted about the not liking the FZ-7 yesterday, posted a link with an 11 meg file! Great - now I have a 11 meg picture of someone's apartment taking up space in a temperary internet file on my laptop's hard drive.

Good thing you didn't open that one, it would have taken you a few hours.

N
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:10 PM   #10

LOL :-):blah:an 11 meg file, sheesh. 2 days for me to have a look then :roll::-)

Ahh ya gotta love them when they do that, LOL.

All the best Nick and thanks. The whole excerise has been well worth it in that case.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote