Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 23, 2004, 11:42 AM   #1

I'm really new to this whole digital camera thing... but one thing's for sure: I want a goodcamera that takes awesome pics and will last through our day to day busy lives here (I'm a mom with 3 kids).

I've been looking at abunch on the market right now: Canon Powershot S1 IS, Canon A85, Kodak DX7590, FinePix S3100, Konica DiMage Z2.... the list goes on and on. But from what I'm gathering - through my amateur logical thinking fog - the Panasonic FZ3 (with all it's wonderful internal mechanisms) seems to be that of a "lower-end Mercedes" vs all the others I mentioned (which seem to be like "souped-up Hondas"). Maybe that's an inaccurate analogy, but that's what it seems like from all the bits of info I've gathered here and there.

Our needs are pretty simple: great pics INDOOR and out (esp indoor), good focus, easy to use, not too heavy, not too tiny... but again, the end result is what matters most: clear, detailed pics that will be used on-line, in photo albums but nothing larger than an 8x10.

I looked at the FZ1 - but like the newer options on the FZ3 - and the FZ15/20 are overkill for our needs (not to mention a bit heavy).

So, my question to all you FZ connosiuers (sp).... what makes these FZ cameras better than the "other guys"? Especially the ones mentioned above? Is it really all about that Leica lense?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts... :-)

Maryanne
maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2004, 2:56 PM   #2

Everything about the Leica Lens is true.

I guess the Leica glass is the main responsible of the sharp and detailed Panasonic FZs images.

Regarding to the other brands and models, I only like the Canon A85 and S1

Idiscard the A85 because it belongs to another category - short zoom.

The S1 is also a great camera, but after checking out the sample images posted on this site, Dpreview, Dcresource and Pbase,I saw lack of defintion on the S1 images - too soft, and a bit overexposed, besides the purple fringing is quite evident unlike the FZ3 that is almost unnoticeable......on the other side, the S1 is less noisy than the FZ3, but fortunately the noise of the FZ3 does not affect the image quality overall.

What else??? Pana FZ3 offers 12X vs S1 10x

I would have like the FZ3 comes with a swivel LCD like the Canon does.

Thats all, maybe you should have added some Olympus to your list, but anyway IMO the FZ3 is the best long zoom camera within the price range and category.

Stop hesitating and go for the FZ3

:|

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:12 PM   #3

As fz10_usersays its the Lieca lens, but also the antishake cos above 200mm you will need it,FZ3 is best camera out there for the money.. unless you need addon lens laterthis is the top dog !

see my post for addon lens for FZ20 etc...

buy a 55mm UV filter protect that great lens..

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:12 PM   #4

Obviously you're going to get pro-panasonic opinions here. Of the cameras you mentioned, only the fz3 and canon s1 are ultra zoom/image stabilized. The samples on various reveiw sites pretty strongly indicate better quality with the fz3 vs the s1 and that would be due to the Leica lens. Go for it! Your three kids are getting older as you wait!

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 9:48 PM   #5

Just got back from Circuit City and absolutely FELL IN LOVE with the FZ3!! I've seen tons of pictures of it on-line... but seeing one in real life sold me even more. I also saw an FZ1 at a store last night and can reallytell a difference between the two. Am I wrong thinking that the FZ3 is lighter and smaller than the FZ1? Seemed that way anway....

Thanks again for all the advice... definitely going to get one... just gotta wait for hubby to give me the green light. :?

I'm so excited! Now off to find a camera bag that can nicely hold this beautiful new camera... oh yeah gotta get that fliter lense too....

Maryanne

maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:37 PM   #6

I have used the "compare cameras" exercise offered by Imaging Resource and prepared a comparison statement for the following cameras:

Canon S1S, Finepix 5100, Kodak DX7590, Dimage Z3, Lumix DMC-FZ3 and Olympus C-765 UZ, because all these are more or less in the same category - superzoomof 10x or more. The comparison favours Dimage Z3, but I do not like the look of that camera. The rave reviews that FZ3 is gettingindicates that it is the best among the compact zoom lot, and certainly provides better value for the price.

I am dying to get that camera, but it is not available in India yet. Looks like I have to only get it through anyone coming from US or other places where it is available.

Raghu, India

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7

AFAIK, the FZ3 is sold in many european countries like Spain, Italy or France,....according to my Atlas, USA is very far away from India , maybe some place in Europe or maybe Asia could solve your problem faster.
Good luck

P.D. the FZ15 is NOT available in Europe....only USA and Japan....so, forget about this DC unless you have the chance to go any of those countries.

fz10_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 3:21 AM   #8

Thanks for the input. Yes, I also use the same atlas, but I hear availability is limited to nil near here (Singapore/Malaysia, etc), whereas in US, the camera is available in plenty not only at the list price, but even as low as $300 in some places. $100 is a lot of money here.

Raghu, India
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:00 AM   #9

maryanne

hey thas great you tried FZ3 out.. exc.. isnt it..

i know you wont ...but
dont buy a FZ1 its olderless pixels and without the new venus 2 focus engine, FZ3has2 night modes, with abetter flash and low light assist..

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz3/index.html

info here.. i have the FZ10 you wont be disapointed..

have fun... 432mm zoom hehe 1000$ DSLR users only DREAM of havin that...:G

filter... yes good !

Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote