Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:29 AM   #1

Has anyone else noticed that switching to movie mode causes the camera to destroy the previous still image you took by reducing its size down to something like 320x240, even if you took it at maximum size? I kept seeing shots I really wanted to have being reduced in size, and finally put 2 and 2 together. It happens 100% of the time. This is a pretty serious problem because it results in loss of a picture. The only workaround is to be sure and take a "sacrificial" picture just before making any movie. Another thing that should be included in a firmware upgrade.
pjgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:13 PM   #2
BB

I just tried this, and my FZ-10 does not exibit the problem you describe.

I know there have been multiple firmware revisions on the FZ-10. For example, the original models allow you to view the firmware version by holding down a certain key combo. While the newer FZ-10's (such as mine) don't allow this.

Perhaps this is a problem that only affects the older FZ-10s?
BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:47 PM   #3

Could also be a problem with the SD Card.

Read this...

http://www.nyip.com/tips/flashcards0604.php

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:57 PM   #4

I get a 320x240 pic when I switch to movie mode and actually do some recording, but it is a preview of the movie - the moment the shutter is pressed to record, it makes a small snapshot for reference when reviewing it on the camera.

Are you sure that this isn't what you are seeing?

Tim
MasterOfNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:18 AM   #5

I tried this with fz3 and it takes a small preview sample of the movie. So it's not a bug.

-Antti
Antti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 7:26 AM   #6

Thanks to every one who replied on this. I went back and looked at every instance and I'm embarassed to say that you all are right -- the "destroyed" previous picture really is a thumbnail of the movie that comes after it. Far from being a bug, this is an interesting feature I wasn't aware of. Apparently in putting 2 plus 2 together, I came up somewhat shy of 4.
pjgust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:05 AM   #7

Just to be more specific....

This is a feature similar to DSLR cameras putting a jpeg on the card at the same time that they record the RAW images. The jpeg is just designed to be a small file for the LCD display to display easily.

In the case of the jpg, it just uses an image that is the same resolution as the video, but is a copy of the first frame.

FZFUN
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote