Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2004, 12:53 PM   #1

Has anyone used the Vivitar df120 or the Phoenix d92 slave flash? I am interestedin using it with fz1 but experience with any digicam is welcome.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:53 PM   #2

Hi Fred -

I looked at these flash units and decided to spring for the extra $25 and get the Vivitar DF 200. Well worth it imo, for the following:

Four selectable power levels (Full, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16)
- so you can throttle down when necessary...
Zoom head with detents (click stops) for wide, mid, telephoto position
- great feature that you will appreciate, comes in handy with a superzoom.
0 to 90 degree vertical bounce angle
0 to 330 degree Horizontal Swivel
- great for bounce flash at different angles, and for changing the orientation of the photo...
Guide Number 92 (ISO 100/ft) at mid--zoom setting
- not sure what the 120 is... but this flash has decent power.

Although it comes with a bracket, I sprung for an L-bracket, which seems to really help with red-eye. The "delay" works great, the flash fires after the preflash (as it should...) Good recycle time. I can shoot indoors, zoom out 12X, and the flash reaches the subject. I consider this invaluable. The downside is that the build-quality isn't the best, but lots of powers and features for the price...

I would spring for the extra few bucks and get the DF 200. I think it's a better value propsition than its little brother. I'm glad I didn't get the 120 or the P 92. It really is a nice flash unit for the money.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:05 PM   #3

Thanks, Nick. The df200 is on the short list for my fz1's Christmas gift. Last year I gother the Hoya r72. She loved it. Question: What is the charge-up time between shots? 3 sec? 4sec?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 6:54 PM   #4

Recycle time is pretty standard... now, I just tested it and it was about 5 seconds but as you know that varies by how old the batteries are, and these have been in there a few months. It (recycle time)keeps up with the camera.

Have it, use it, works great...thumbs up. But do get an L-bracket for it.

That said, you know there's an L-bracket out there (I think I saw it on the updated siwiki faq for the fz-1) that has the preflash circuit built in to it, and also compensates for red-eye reduction flash. To clarify, this is all built into the bracket. That might be something to take a look at too if you already have a decent flash.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote