Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:10 PM   #1

Hi,

A friend of mine just bought an FZ1 based on my glowing recommendations. I just love mine. Anyways, they turned it on, pointed it and when they went to shoot, the camera locked up. They turned it off, the lense never went in and it hasnt come back on since. Ive done some looking and just dont know if this camera has just totally died or if there is something we can do to get it running again. Since it was mail order, we were hoping to get it working. Thanksgiving being tomorrow and all. Any help would be appreciated.

John
HCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:24 PM   #2

Did you charge the battery? When I bought my FZ20 the battery was just about dead, and the camera shut off shortly after I turned it on. I recharged it and it was fine.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:31 PM   #3

Yes, battery was fully charged before they even tried. They put it on chrge and went and bought a case for their broke camera. :sad:I have also tried putting in my battery and my memory card. Nothing has helped. Was hoping someone might know how to initialize the camera if that was even possible. Sadly Im afraid its DOA.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:36 PM   #4

Sounds like a defect to me. They should have it replaced.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:00 PM   #5

That suck-s. Sounds like it's DOA... there's really very little you can do, besides taking the battery out and putting it back in.

I would send it back. Even if you get it working, like the lens got stuck and free'd itself, it might be one of those intermittent problems that resurfaces (usually right after the warranty expires...) That's reason enough not to fool with it...

I just looked at the manual... page 82 talks about initializing the settings, that's something you could try.

Also... just to rule out a bum battery, you may want to try powering it without the battery, using the adapter that attaches from the camera to the battery charger...

I even looked at my FZ-1 to see if there's one of those little reset buttons that you jab your pen into... nope. Sometimes static electricity causes such issues that can be fixed that way... but no dice.

Shame... Good luck
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 4:21 PM   #6

Thanks. We did try doing it directly with the cord and again, No go. I appreciate the help. Will call Panasonic come Mon.