Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 26, 2004, 8:50 PM   #41

Rickst wrote:
Quote:
Great to see a bunch of guitarists on the forum! I've played since the early '60s. Right now I only have electrics--a candy apple red hot-rodded Telecaster and two Godins. I use a small Marshall (80 watts with a 12" speaker).

Any other electric players on the forum?
I used to have a Gibson "The Paul". Now I just have my Taylor acoustic. I just play as a hobbie (mostly stuff I make up), and have written a few songs. But God must have a sence of humor, cause I cant sing well.

bobc
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:33 AM   #42

I am taking the jpgs right from my computer, don't have them on a website. I have my guitar on a stand and when I first put it in the stand the weight of the guitar forces those plastic thingees to lock it in so it doesn't fall. The stand is black and I tried blending into the backround so it just looks like the guitar was hanging there. It was a really quick set of shots.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 2:38 AM   #43

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I am taking the jpgs right from my computer, don't have them on a website. I have my guitar on a stand and when I first put it in the stand the weight of the guitar forces those plastic thingees to lock it in so it doesn't fall. The stand is black and I tried blending into the backround so it just looks like the guitar was hanging there. It was a really quick set of shots.
Do you keep it in a case?
Old Nov 27, 2004, 6:21 AM   #44

Hey Bob, looked up some reviews on the Taylor. Folks seem to be raving about it, but nothing is perfect and the consistent "con" by all accounts to a great guitar is the action is set too high...

Cons
Action was set too high. You'll need to buy a hardshell case and humidifier.

Thought I might mention it...
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:36 AM   #45

NickTrop wrote:
Quote:
Hey Bob, looked up some reviews on the Taylor. Folks seem to be raving about it, but nothing is perfect and the consistent "con" by all accounts to a great guitar is the action is set too high...

Cons
Action was set too high. You'll need to buy a hardshell case and humidifier.

Thought I might mention it...
Thanks Nick,

I did read a few about the case and humidifier, and recall reading maybe one about the action. I assumed that the person was used to electric guitars and expected the action to be just about touching the strings all the way up the neck, or they bought it at a store where they stored the guitars poorly. The action on mine was perfect as was the harmonics(all the open notes compared to the 12th fret notes).

If you hold the string down at the 1st and 14th fret the string should be about the thickness of a credit card (.010 to be exact) away from the 6th fret. Mine was perfect in all regards.

The Guitar Center keeps their acoustics in special rooms with the proper humidity and temerature. And I would say any reviews that mention the neck set up reflect directly from the way it was stored prior to the purchase.

I looked at many Martins over $1,000.00 and every one had (IMO) very high action, as well as the harmonics being slightly off (a result of the action being too high).

Taylors also have a limited lifetime warranty as do the Martins.

I did find one bad review, and I am still trying to figure out what the guys problem was. But 9.999 out of 10 that I read (I guess about 100 or so) gave the guitar no lower thatn a 4 in every category, and raved about the sound. I thought it was just me or the way it sounded in the special room until I got home and started reading the reviews.

Thanks Nick...

bobc
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:43 PM   #46

bobc wrote:
Quote:
Do you keep it in a case?
Yup, Gibson gives you a really nice hard shell case and I have one of those humidifier things for the winter. But I find when I leave it out I am more apt to play it. I also have a Fender Acoustasonic amp. Sp I plug in and play, it also has a mic channel, and it sounds wonderful! I wish I had more time to play.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:01 PM   #47

Me and my Taylor... Lucky I did'nt break the camera on this one...:?

Attached Images

Old Nov 28, 2004, 3:23 PM   #48

Bob -

You look much younger here than in your Avatar. I see you have the Epson R300. Nice printer. I have the R200. I'm looking at an HP though, as it is the only one that makes B&W prints without that nasty color cast.

- also, you get to smoke in your house? I'm banished to the outdoors. :lol:

- Does the Taylor come in a lefty model? I'm thinking I might stick to it if I had something a little better to play.

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:56 PM   #49

Not too bad for 47 huh...

I keep a fan in my window blowing out 365 days a year. It sucks the smoke right out since my ash tray is right under it.

Yes I believe I saw a left handed Taylor at Guitar Center. If they dont have it in stock they can order it for you.

Love you Avatar...

bobc
Old Nov 28, 2004, 9:39 PM   #50

Nick. I forgot to mention. I had an R200 and sold it to a buddy of mine to get the R300. It's exactly the same in every reguard to the 200, exept for the direct print capability, and I believe the upgrade to photoret II or what ever it's called. But it uses the same cartridges and compairing the prints between the two... I can't tell the difference.

I like the indavidual ink tanks, rather than the all in one's. I wish HP would go that route. Another thing about HP is that their cartridges are actually part of the print head as well (a little more expensive).

On the other hand (with the HP), you dont have to worry about the print head wearing out.

But on the other other hand (with the Epson), by the time the print head waers out it's ussualy time for a printer upgrade anyway.

I never tried to print B&W's with the epson.

bobc