Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 26, 2004, 7:08 AM   #11

The shots were taken at the full end of the zoom, hand held stabilizing the camera as much as Icould on the frame of a bird blind.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 4:24 PM   #12

Hi

What wasyour camera settings and what sort of distance were you from the bird

thanks in advance.

Stan
stanacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 5:54 PM   #13

Stan,

I was probably about fifteen to twenty yards away from the male cardinal and the cedar waxwing, and about five yards from the female cardinal. Camera settings:

1. Male card - F4, 1/200, iso 50

2. Cedar Waxwing - F4, 1/250, iso 200, exposure compensation +.66

3. Female Cardinal - F2.8, 1/60, iso 80
Old Nov 27, 2004, 8:36 PM   #14

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:04 PM   #15

vIZnquest,
Thanks for the link and the information. I was talking to Normcar about this lens and the Panasonic DMW-LTZ10 TC lens and he was hands down in favor of the Pana lens. I know it's a monster as far as cost. But he owned one and was very happy with it's color saturation. I just don't know if I can justify the $500 to buy a lens.

I may just wait until I have saved a bit and then do another serious search.

If you get the other raynox lens let me know how you like it?
Thanks again for your input. It all helps.

Happy Holidays, Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 9:51 PM   #16

I know this is going to make me sound like such a "girl" but I did some online shopping and I bought the Raynox and I also purchased the Panasonic tele lens. I know it's expensive but for the first time in my life, this gal's got the $$$, so I went for it. I used the Panasonic once and it looks good, but I still don't think it is the same quality as the camera without adding the lens. I haven't used the Raynox at all, but it is very light and plasticky. It looks pretty cheap, but the coating on the lens is a pretty shade of purply blue, so I was happy. I am pretty much a summer shooter, but this year I will be going to Hawaii, so I will have some great pics, and I think I will bring both lenses, just to play around.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2004, 10:55 PM   #17

Nancy Gabby wrote:
Quote:
I know this is going to make me sound like such a "girl" but I did some online shopping and I bought the Raynox and I also purchased the Panasonic tele lens.*
Nancy,
I really respect the fact that you "shopped" around for the lenses.
I spent about 6mos researching before I bought my FZ20. I thank you for the information and I would be really interested in seeing any pictures that you would want to post comparing the two. I think that sometimes we all think that having more zoom is the answer when really it's more experience and practice that we need. Have a fantastic trip to Hawii.

Thanks, Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 1:25 AM   #18

I had heard good things about the LTZ10, and the price was really high so I tried shopping around for a cheaper price, but only one place had them in stock (I think they were called videodirect). I had then seen the pictures with the Raynox and they looked pretty good. There was one pic that was posted, I believe here, of a boy and girl on a beach, that quality didn't look great (even though the photographer did a great job in capturing and holding the camera still). But the picture of the birds convinced me. My mom lives upstate and in the summer there are wild turkeys and deer and other assorted critters in her backyard. I figure I could just put the camera on a tripod, leave it there and take pictures as the animals come to us.

I will do comparisons for you, Steve, either when I get to Hawaii, or when I can get out and shoot. But for now here is a shot of a flower in a park near Kennedy Airport. The only thing I did to it (besides resizing) is adjust the exposure by raising the black level (I just used ACDsee's editing software: Fotocanvas lite). I tried instant fixing it, but it turned a horrid shade of blue!:

Attached Images

Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:27 PM   #19

I've posted five pics in the wildlife area of photo posts that I took today using the Raynox DCR-2020 Pro TelePhoto lens at a larger size than the previous ones so hopefully you can judge them better.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 5:29 PM   #20

By the way, can some one tell me how to post multiple picturesin one post with out having to use the new topic button and posting them separately?