Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 25, 2004, 7:31 PM   #1

i will be getting a pemaraal pa62 adapter soon any ideas on a good macro set up for this adapter?

for a fz 20

Willow

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2004, 8:45 PM   #2

Howdy Will. Exactly how close or what ratios are you looking at ??. If you use the full zoom with a Canon 250D, you will get some high ratios and virtually no CA.Slightly higher rato than the excellent Nikon 6T. If you want to goto higher ratiosthan that, let me know.

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:23 PM   #3

I would start with the 6t at +3 diopter. If you find want to go higher, get a nikon 5t +1.5 diopter andcombine the two lens for +4.5. (It may make a difference which is on the camera end.) If you're thinking of of going for higher diopter now,there's the raynox Explorer set; dcr150 (+4 ) and dcr250 (+8). (They can also be purchased seperately.) They use a spring-loaded clip-on adapter that fits any diameter between 52 and 67mm and accepts the 43mm macro lens threads. The adapter can fit onto the extended fz20 lens housing so there is noabsolute need for any other adapter. Just make sure the fz20 power save (sleep mode) is off so the lens wont retract with the adapter attached. Or use it with the 62mm pemaraal.

Fred
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:38 PM   #4

The higher powered add on goes to the lens and then the lesser at the front of that. So if you stack them, use the 6T first on the front and then the5T. Creates less distortion due to the curvitures. The more it curves, the closer you want it to the lens.

Danny.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:46 PM   #5

Thanks, Danny. Makes sense.Can that reasoning be applied to the dual element macro lens? A weaker lens to the outside to flatten the focus? The dcr150/250 actually have three elements. Are the different optics in descending order of magnification towards the front?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:57 PM   #6

I'm not sure exactly how that one works Fred, interesting though mate. It would be highly corrected anyway, going by what I've seen of your work, the eyes are darn good too BTW :-)and thanks for all the help at the time.

The whole idea is to get good flatness of feild, especially towards the egdes. We all know how those edges love to cause CA, so it should help that as well. I would imagineyour dcr's are optically an excellent balance Fred. Would be interesting to see how they are made though. With the results you get, they would be a great asset.

All the best Fred :-)

Danny.

Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:30 PM   #7

Another stacked lens quandary: Stacking a macroand a tele lenswill increase the power of the macro (presumabley x the tele power) only if the macro is on the outside. Stacked the other way with the macro on the cameraend has little effect on the macro power. Any idea why?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:17 PM   #8

Thats funny you should ask that one Fred. A friend of mine Ken, asked me exactly that 2 days ago. I have no idea and I tried it :-). Must be something to do with the convex and the concave of the elements Fred, but what and how I'm not too sure on. I'll get back to you on this one since its come up twice now. My partner in the forum, Tom Webster is an optical expert. He will know for sure. One thing he can't work out though is this.

If I takea shot of the head of a fly with an added Nikkor 70-210 to the FZ10,I only need a lens to subject distance of 6" (150mm). Now if I add a Nikkor 1.4x tele converter, the distance for the same ratio, now becomes over 4' (1200mm), yes 4 feet !! Why ?? we have no idea, except its just a freak of optics in combination with the FZ10's elements.

What happens Fred, if we take the macro add on and put it on the other end Fred. The opposite might just work. Interesting, LOL.

All the best Fred and I'll ask Tom tomorrow about that. His site is

http://www.reasonableexpectations.com/and just click on "Site index" Its a very interesting site and my personal favorite is "Photo myths". Anyway, thats Tom and he is one very interesting guy Fred :-)

Danny.

Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:19 PM   #9

Nikon 6T is what i have been looking at. if i need more power can i get the 5T and stack them?

Willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 9:10 AM   #10

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
Nikon 6T is what i have been looking at. if i need more power can i get the 5T and stack them?
Yes. They both have 62mm threads at both ends. As Danny said, put the 6t closest to the camera.